Sax Man's Campout (2nd Annual)

Team GPSaxophone

Campout2005.jpg

It's time to start planning your summer! Sax Man's 2nd Annual Campout will be held just outside of Woodland Park, Colorado. The campground is, appropriately enough, called Colorado Campground

Make your reservations early! The longer you wait, the further you will be from the fun!

To reserve your campsite, you’ll need to create an account on Reserve America. You can view campground details here, then click the "What's Avalilable" link next to Sites 34-59, 79-81. The site will ask which date you want to arrive and how many nights you want to stay. It will give you a list of available sites followed by already booked sites. You can view the current map by clicking the map link on the list. I'll update the map in this thread 9and on the cache page) as cachers email me with their site number. When you click "Book Now" you will be prompted to sign-in or create an account. Sorry, but this is the only reservation system available for campgrounds in the area.

Camping is $14 per night, plus a $9 reservation fee. (My campsite for 4 nights totalled $65) You are allowed up to 2 vehicles and 10 people per campsite. I suggest you make friends with another cacher and share a site. This will help keep our caching group together, and allow you to save money. We’re camping Friday night through Tuesday morning (4 nights), but you can camp as many nights as you want.

Campground map:

campsitemap.jpg

* sites marked with a tent icon (41,42,43,44,etc) are not reservable. They are first-come, first-served.

This thread is for discussion about (and suggestions for) Sax Man's 2nd Annual Campout

Edited by Team GPSaxophone
I think there may also be a limit to the number of tents per site, you may want to check on that, this sounds like a great Event, but I think I won't be able to come.

Actually, the limit per site is the number of vehicles (2) and the number of people (10). I couldn't find any limit on the number of tents per site, but who's going to want 10 single-man tents setup on a site anyway?

I think we'll be fine with most sites having 1-3 tents, as long as we don't exceed the other limits I mentioned earlier.

We will definitely look into it. We will be heading to Oregon later that week to attend Champoeg. A big Oregon geocaching event so the Family may override me on this.

That's fine, 4th of July is turning out to be the weekend for all of the regional events. I made the decision to have mine in July this year after it snowed on Memorial Day last year in Raton.

That's fine, 4th of July is turning out to be the weekend for all of the regional events. I made the decision to have mine in July this year after it snowed on Memorial Day last year in Raton.

OH MAN BUT IT WAS STILL A BLAST!! SNOW AND ALL!!

For those of you who missed it, here is the link. Munching BBQ! Playing GPS games!

We stayed up late one night and saw a "Irrudi... Irowwdi... Arridiu..." big friggen reflection off a satellite.

Hung around the campfire and visited with fellow cachers.

Trekking off in search of newly placed caches and a few existing. Some of us went off to Capulin.

Tired, dirty and smelled like campfire smoke, we did. Had a good time, WE DID!!

Oh, and by the way, the word above is iridium. In kase yu all thoutt i was tupid!

Well we reserved site 39 for Friday, Saturday and Sunday night but may not make it Friday. Anyone know if there is water and/or electrical hookups? And someone in the family want to know about flush toilets?

I'll add you to the list!

There are water faucets and vault toilets (non-flushing). There are no showers. i suggest buying one of those "solar showers". There's a creek/stream behind my campsite (and yours) that could probably be used for bathing, although the water will be very cold

In case you don't show up Friday night, we may park a vehicle at your site so the staff doesn't give it to someone else. Please PM me with your contact info so I have it for the campground staff.

Edited by Team GPSaxophone
Well we reserved site 39 for Friday, Saturday and Sunday night but may not make it Friday. Anyone know if there is water and/or electrical hookups? And someone in the family want to know about flush toilets?

I'll add you to the list!

There are water faucets and vault toilets (non-flushing). There are no showers. i suggest buying one of those "solar showers". There's a creek/stream behind my campsite (and yours) that could probably be used for bathing, although the water will be very cold

In case you don't show up Friday night, we may park a vehicle at your site so the staff doesn't give it to someone else. Please PM me with your contact info so I have it for the campground staff.

Sent the Info. We are pretty self contained our tent trailer is complete with outside shower hot and cold water, heater and of course internet access. But a certain member of the flock really does not like pit toilets. Looking forward to our first Colorado event.

We will definitely look into it. We will be heading to Oregon later that week to attend Champoeg. A big Oregon geocaching event so the Family may override me on this.

Being in Raton with you, I couldn't agree more to have it later in the year. I was sick of freezing at night. Are you bringing the air conditioners too? lol, jk.

OH MAN BUT IT WAS STILL A BLAST!! SNOW AND ALL!!

For those of you who missed it, here is the link. Munching BBQ! Playing GPS games!

We stayed up late one night and saw a "Irrudi... Irowwdi... Arridiu..." big friggen reflection off a satellite.

Hung around the campfire and visited with fellow cachers.

Trekking off in search of newly placed caches and a few existing. Some of us went off to Capulin.

Tired, dirty and smelled like campfire smoke, we did. Had a good time, WE DID!!

Oh, and by the way, the word above is iridium. In kase yu all thoutt i was tupid!

Zoltig,

I remember that iridium thigamajiggy. The cookout and late nights were great. Weird to see snow in May and freeze my cajones off. We are prepared this year. It was a blast last year. I hope we can make it this year.

Saxy,

We would like to stay at site 44. I do see that it cannot be reserved and is first-come, first-serve. Is there a way to start a list to put people where they would like if they confirm they will go?

Alpine

Unreservable sites are first-come, first-served. I have no control of any sites in the campground. If you'd like to take your chances of getting one of them, show up either Thursday or Friday to stake your claim. (I put Thursday in because it is a holiday weekend)

Great weekend to do it this year! I would love to camp but as we are all ready doing a big family get-together at a private "compound" up in Woodland Park it would have to be a day trip.

Any idea about parking, we will be bringing ONE car so we can car pool some interested family members and a few established geocachers in. :laughing:

Look foward to attending even if it is not for those "interesting" sounding nights of revelery. :laughing:

Edited by MRCOGEO

Because this is a "campout", the parking accommodations are for those staying the night at a campsite. (Sorry, that's the campground, not me)

There will probably be room for a few extra vehicles spread around to different campsites. If it's full, you'll have to find a place to park outside of the campground and walk in. There's a lake not too far north of the campground, and the trail leads right to my site.

Hey Sax,

You guys are having way too much fun. Mrs n0wae and I have reserved site #37 and plan on attending this Smurf event. We understand you have ordered Smurfy weather but we will be bringing a pop up trailer with heater just in case. (Some rumor about frozen cachers last year or something. :lol: )

Look for this at event HQ:

IMAG0003a.jpg

Just bought it Monday. We'll be "road testing" it next week in the Great Plains, then again in the Northwest the 2 weeks before the campout. Total length of truck and trailer is just over 36 feet, so it's perfect for our 40' campsite :blink:

Including the Golden, you've hit the 40' spot on. :rolleyes:

Anyone know of a better way to get there from Parker.

Here is the plan so far.

910a2f4a-3d4d-4b24-b1fe-e53da7061f47.jpg

Thats the fastest way FG. It may be shorter to go through Deckers but the way you show is faster. I pull a 5th wheel and find that the most direct rout isn't always the best.

Hopefully we'll make it with our new cachemobile:

dc8f3377-56a2-41d6-8ac2-cffa5155c315.jpg

Yep! I'm bringin' my new Xterracachemobile too:

1960897d-15fc-4b17-b66e-c03c1404b82b.jpg

I CAN'T WAIT!

BTW- I have no reservations and it's just me and Cujo in one teeny tiny tent.

I'll help with expenses if ANYONE near the center of the action wants to share their space. :mad:

Ok everyone. The night cache is ready to go. You will need a battery operated blacklight in order to do this cache. If you have one bring it, if you need one here are a few places where you can pick one up.

I got mine at Lowes in the electrical Dept. 11.99

My son just picked one up at Walgreens for 3.95 It is a pen, with a little blacklight attached, that writes with ink that can only be seen under a blacklight. The light isn't the greatest but it is still pretty cool!

I believe Spencers at the mall has them but not sure for what price.

If anyone finds other places to get them please post it so the rest can see.

It will be worth the investment for those that do.

Here a just a few things that could be yours.

P6230173.jpg

Cache on!

Edited by Dr123d