Posting New Topics

Mopar

I don't handle the responsibility of opening threads well. All he whining and fussing. I prefer to borrow other people's threads and then give them back all wound up and filled with sugar and caffeine .. No, wait. That's my nieces and nephews.

What was the question?

oooo...shiny!

I've thought some more about this subject and, in particular, merging the two topics together aided in focusing my thoughts. Thanks, mtn-man!

Anyways, I've developed a comprehensive theory of topic starting behavior. Some people never start a topic, preferring to lurk or just post in response. Others post the occasional topic when they have a question or observation they haven't seen discussed. And a third category... now, this is the REALLY interesting part...

oooh! shiny!

In the brilliant words of Steven Wright "I plead - Maybe."

I probably have, but a fresh start can help change things. I always search the 'last 30 days' first in all forums, read those and then if mine's different enough I post with the knowledge that if I missed something then someone will surely point out my mistake.

As we say at work "You're young, you'll get over it!"

LOVE the 'Ooooo .... shiny'. My managers and dispatcher will hate it, but they will get over it!

Thanks for a new way to be mouthy!

:ph34r: The Blue Quasar

Your search button that you evidently swear by, doesnt work that well, I have tried to do searches for specific topics and it brings up the same list every time I search for something different.

I dunno, seems to work fine for me (and hundreds, if not thousands) and other users. Maybe someone should start a new thread about it?

Lets try an example. I dunno, how about something like Underwater caches, how to make one?

The search button you claim does't work turns up 2 pages of threads with the word underwater in the title. Almost all of them are about underwater caches.

Since many underwater caches would require SCUBA gear, I also searched for topics with the word "SCUBA" in the title, and got another full page of threads about underwater caches and how to make them.

The people here for the most part are very helpful, but you really need to help yourself too.

Edited by Mopar
Your search button that you evidently swear by, doesnt work that well, I have tried to do searches for specific topics and it brings up the same list every time I search for something different.

I dunno, seems to work fine for me (and hundreds, if not thousands) and other users.

While the search feature works pretty fine IMO too, I have to admit that it's a wee bit easier for a forum regular (as in having read forums for a long time) to come up with better search keywords than for a newbie tadpole. Many times a regular is thinking of a certain thread (s)he remembers when using the search feature, and thus it's easier to find. For a tadpole it might be somewhar harder to use the correct search arguments. Also using the search feature for the first few times might be a bit tougher than having used it for years. It's not long ago since I noticed that you can display the search results as posts too (and not only topics). :ph34r:

Edit: To be on-topic (sorry Mopar for not getting the hint :D): No, I try not to start topics out of boredom.

Edited by Divine

I dunno, seems to work fine for me (and hundreds, if not thousands) and other users. Maybe someone should start a new thread about it?

Why start a new thread? Search on the term "Forum Search," remember to change the period covered to something longer than the past 30 days, and you dig up a bunch of old threads discussing forum searching, like this one.

Waiting for Brian to bump thread in 5... 4... 3... 2...

You know, one thing I see quite often is how newbies get hammered when they ask questions that have been answered somewhere else in the forums.

But, in fairness, the search features of this forum are rather limited (being nice), and somewhat capricious.

For example, I haven't figured out how to search for the term "DPM" which was a thread at one time regarding lame caches. I've tried "Lame and DPM", I've tried "lame dpm" I've tried many things, but all fail. Yet, I know for a fact that such a thread exists.

Consulting the help on searching isn't all that enlightening either. Apparently, your search terms must all comprise at least four characters, and you can't reliably search for a phrase in a thread title.

I've provide an example that's easily demonstrable. On the Geocaching.com Web Site forum, there's a thread at the top about the off-topic forum being for premium users only.

Let's say that it has been several weeks, and the topic has gone by the wayside. A newbie enters the forum, and wants to search for that topic.

I've tried the following searches, all of which result in error, or it returning completely useless information:

ot and for and premium - failed

"ot for premium" - failed

'ot for premium' - returns completely unrelated information

Bottom line,

a- People around here (no specific dispersions being cast) should cut newbies (and heck, even longtimers) a bit of slack when it comes to searching these forums. It seems that even when you know a topic, and even the topic title, you can be totally unable to find it.

b- The search routines really need to be better documented (if there's a way to perform that search, I can't find it), or be fixed so that relevant information can be returned from a reasonable search.

edited to fix the inappropriate smilie as a bullet point.

Thanks to

TheNomad I couldnt have said it better.

Edited by treasure_hunter
;)

Someone failed to see my bad humor I think....

No, I understood. You didn't get a warning, did you? :D

Allowing it to continue would have been as bad as the original actions that prompted the duplicate post though. I though merging was the best solution.

Next time I'll just close it an warn you... JUST KIDDING (well, maybe). :D:ph34r:

I started a new thread once, I was suggesting that when you send someone an email from GC.com that the "Subject" could be modified. This was so that people who had Gmail accounts didn't have them all glommed together. I was flamed pretty bad <_<

I just started a thread to congratulate Flask on 800 finds...

:D

Someone failed to see my bad humor I think....

No, I understood. You didn't get a warning, did you? :o

Allowing it to continue would have been as bad as the original actions that prompted the duplicate post though. I though merging was the best solution.

Next time I'll just close it an warn you... JUST KIDDING (well, maybe). <_<:lol:

Either way would have been cool :D . I knew I was pushing the limits when I posted it, hence the 'bad' humor comment. I was truly bored however so before I could stop I had already hit the submit button.

Searching for a past thread or topic is for the birds. I cant get it to work right as it allways brings up a reference to some guy named Markwell! <_<

But i do have some ideas for starting an original thread. How about?

Ammo cans or tupperware, which is better?

Mitsuko, where is she?

Which GPSr is the best?

WAAS up! Do you use it?

Dogs and caching!

Do you carry a firearm when caching?

Why dont people rehide a cache properly?

Permission to hide cache, do you get it?

or

Why wasnt my virtual cache be approved?

I take that back, these all sound somewhat familiar afterall. Guess there isnt anything new to talk about, everyone go home... :lol: