Bike Quest 2005

Beast of Traal

I am planning a 450 mile bicycle tour event cache The tentative start date will be May 20 2005

The Tour will follow the Natchez Trace Parkway from end to end (Natchez Ms to Nashville Tn).

The total length is approximately 450 miles.

It will take about 8-9 days to complete.

To get credit for the event you can ride all or any portion of the tour or just meet me along the way.

We will be camping for most of the tour.

We will ride on average 60 miles per day with 15 min breaks about once an hour.

You will be responsible for your own transportation to and from the start/end points.

Day 1 May 20 Friday night meet at Natchez State Park.

Day 2 May 21 Ride from Natchez terminus to Rocky Springs Campground 59 miles

Day 3 May 22 Ride from Rocky Springs to Ratliff Ferry 74.4 miles

Day 4 May 23 Ratliff Ferry to Jeff Busby 70.5 miles

Day 5 May 24 Jeff Busby to Tupelo Visitor Center 74.2 miles

Day 6 May 25 Tupelo Visitor Center to Colbert Ferry 62 miles

Day 7 May 26 Colbert Ferry to Meriwether Lewis 59.3 miles

Day 8 May 27 Meriwether Lewis to Nashville terminus 57.1 miles

I'm not sure yet if we will use a sag wagon to carry most of the gear or if we'll carry it on bike.

If you are interested in participating or have suggestions email me For more info on the Natchez Trace Parkway click here

for the newest info go to the website Bike Quest 2005

http://sky.prohosting.com/boftraal/bikequest2005.html

When I read the title of this thread in the Northwest forum I thought Wow that would be quite a bike trip. Then as I read on I realized this wasn't what I thought it was.

We have a Natchez Trail in our state (WA.) It used to be 4x4 only. I'm not sure what it is like now except it does cross a Cascade mtn. pass.

With a little checking I found the thread posted here also in the proper forum.

Good luck on the trip and have lots of fun!

BoT,

I'm giving some thought to joining you... I've been wanting to do the Trace for quite some time. I hope you've checked out the books... "Bicycling the Natchez Trace." Hmmm. I thought I had it here, but I can't seem to find it.

Anyway, my summer plans have not been finalized yet, but if I'm in the region, I'd like to be there.

Oh.. I won't be sagging.

Jamie

What do you mean the Natchez section? I haven't been to Natchez recently, but the last time I was there the Trace ended at 61 Hwy. I knew they were planning to build a few more miles there but didn't know they'd actually started on that. Is that what you're talking about?

The last major part that I thought was being worked on was the section going through Jackson, MS.

southdeltan

Wow, I didn't realize they had even begun on that. The last time I went through there I didn't pay much attention (When I went south it was still dark and when I came back I was trying to get my cellphone to work so I wasn't paying as much attention as I'd have liked). The time before that they definetly hadn't began to work on it.

There's not much information on the Trace's page on the NPS website. I found a few references about stuff in the Natchez paper's website but not a lot (I didn't look long).

One bit of advice for you - but it shouldn't matter much - is that they're replacing a bridge in Ridgeland (near jackson) so there's a 2 mile detour. It'll be like that for a year but shouldn't interfere with your ride.

I hope to meet up with you at some point during the first 2 or 3 days of the ride if my schedule allows.

southdeltan

The date for Bike Quest has been moved back the new Start Date is FAthers day

Bike Quest 2005

The First Anualish Bike Trip

Natchez To Nashville

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am planning a 450 mile bicycle tour event cache The tentative start date will be May 20 2005

The Tour will follow the Natchez Trace Parkway from end to end (Natchez Ms to Nashville Tn).

The total length is approximately 450 miles.

It will take about 8-9 days to complete.

To get credit for the event you can ride all or any portion of the tour or just meet me along the way.

We will be camping for most of the tour.

We will ride on average 60 miles per day with 15 min breaks about once an hour.

You will be responsible for your own transportation to and from the start/end points.

Day 1 June 19 Sunday Afternoon meet at Natchez State Park. Day ride to terminus and back

Day 2 June 20 Ride from Natchez State Park to Rocky Springs Campground 59 miles

Day 3 June 21 Ride from Rocky Springs to Ratliff Ferry 74.4 miles

Day 4 June 22 Ratliff Ferry to Jeff Busby 70.5 miles

Day 5 June 23 Jeff Busby to Tupelo Visitor Center 74.2 miles

Day 6 June 24 Tupelo Visitor Center to Colbert Ferry 62 miles

Day 7 June 25 Colbert Ferry to Meriwether Lewis 59.3 miles

Day 8 June 26 Meriwether Lewis to Nashville terminus 57.1 miles

I'm not sure yet if we will use a sag wagon to carry most of the gear or if we'll carry it on bike.

If you are interested in participating or have suggestions email me For more info on the Natchez Trace Parkway click here

I might be able to make a day-trip to meet you along the Trace somewhere. Maybe Tupelo. However, I won't be able to make the start with you, as it's very hard for me to get away from work on weekends.

Do you have a way to be reached on the road so I can find out where you are enroute?

Jamie

The Alabama Rambler has aggreed to drive Sag wagon. for any section from Tupelo to th Nashville and can drive you back to your car, if you would like to join me on any of those sections.

I would like to note a few change to the schedule on day one i wil ride from the terminus to the state park and not ride both directions.

in stead of camping at ratlif ferr i'll be staying at a motel in Rigland.

and instead of staying at Tupelo visitor center i'll be in a motel in Tupelo.

Edited by Beast of Traal

WooHoo! Rambler on a BikeQuest! No, before anyone cries "It's a miracle!" I'll be in my cachemobile, not on a bike!

I will meet BofT at the Tupelo overnight and drive with him the rest of the trip.

Anyone that wants to meet us and ride for a ways is welcome; at the end of your section (or endurance!) I will carry you back to your car.

If you wish to camp I will carry your gear so you don't have to carry it on your bike, and I will have water, Gatorade-type-stuff, snack foods, etc.

My cell phone is 205-914-6814, and I will be monitoring 146.52 simplex Ham radio, and FRS/GMRS Channel 2.

I use APRS, so anyone interested will be able to track our progress (W4AGA) in real time on a website.

Come ride! If you just want to ride the cool hours, say dawn to 9 a.m., that's okay, I can take you back from any point.

See you there!

Ed

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

07-Riding.jpg

08-UphillBattle.jpg

09-ToppingOut.jpg

10-Rest.jpg

11-CampsiteOne.jpg

12-CampByMoonlight.jpg

(Note: This last picture is actually a 25-second exposure at ISO 100 of the camp well after sunset. It' has not been manipulated at all.)

It was quite fun to tag along with BoT on the first day of Bike Quest 2005. It's not every day that I get to be a sports photographer, but I dare say that I *really* enjoyed the new "Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM" lens I was shooting on my 20D. I think we got at least a few worthwhile frames out of it all.

Dude! How much stuff is he carrying. Wow!

I carried half that much to go to CA.

Anyway, I had been hoping to meet BoT out in Tupelo or something, but it looks like I won't be able to make it. Darn... I'd really like to join him out there.

Jamie

dadgum.. I just might make it out there. CJ, do you know if he'll really be in Tupelo on the 23rd like he says? That's not too far from here and I might be up for the trip. I couldn't stay, but I'd say hi.

Does he have a cell or any contact?

Jamie

BB... I checked there, but it's the same itinerary as posted in this thread. I only know the general area of where he'll be... and even that isn't for sure. I know how things are on the road. You don't always follow your itinerary.

I suppose I could just head out there and ride up and down the Trace until I spot him, but I'd rather give him a call and find out where he'll be.

At this point, it doesn't look like I'll be able to make it. It's about 1.5 hour trip for me to get to the Trace anyway.

Jamie