Owner Visit

StarBrand

This has probably come up before but I couldn't find it....

I would like to see a new log type for an "owner visit" or "owner maintenace visit" or maybe just plain "Cache Check". Something only the listing owner could add to indicate a visit - notes aren't always best...

Just an idea....

My idea would just make it easier to identify a *note* written by the cache owner that specifies a visit for maintenance etc.... might also up the last found counter to show that somebody WAS there and the cache is/was ok at that time.

sounds like a great idea!

nfa-jamie

That sounds like a great idea. But some owners will still log their notes as "found its"

There is bound to be a way for the site to disallow an owner to log a cache they own as a find.... That's just not right IMO.

While I haven't had to do it yet, I've seen where some cachers have legit finds deleted for various reasons. Logging their own cache allowes them to bring their find count back up where it belongs.

Yep. just disable the found it option if the ownder is logged in to that page. looks like easy code writing.

There maybe times that a owner should be able to find his own cache.

For example there is a island cache in my area that I have been meaning to go find, but never did.

Then one day the owner of the cache asked if I would take ownership of the cache.

I said sure I would be happy to.

The next day I was the owner of a cache and I had not even seen the cache befor.

So a couple day's after I took over the cache I went out to the island and found my own cache. :ph34r:

We attended an event once where everyone swapped caches to hide. We gave our container to someone else to hide for us so we had to go find the cache and since we liked the spot we submitted it. Once it became an official cache we posted a find to it. So now we have a FTF on one of our caches we've owned since day one! :ph34r:

While I haven't had to do it yet, I've seen where some cachers have legit finds deleted for various reasons. Logging their own cache allowes them to bring their find count back up where it belongs.

That never made sense to me.

For some, myself included, having the site find count and the actual find count match means something. I'm not really sure why.

For some, myself included, having the site find count and the actual find count match means something. I'm not really sure why.

So log the right listing then. If I didn't agree to a soccer game score I don't count a goal from another game.

If I log the right listing and it's deleted just because, the soccer score is still off

I think it would add to the integrity of the cache if there was a special icon for "Maintenance Check by the owner". This would encourage cachers to look for your caches if they see that they are well maintained caches.

It would be cool if there was a spot near where it shows the date the cache was placed that stated "This cache was last maintained on Feb 10/05" and have the date a link to the note that the owner posted to report the condition of the cache.

That way if a cache was placed in 2002 and never was revisited by the owner for maintenance, and the logs report poor quality, it may keep people from being disappointed and encourage the owner to go fix it up.

Stuff like this adds to the server I am sure and extra work for the admin but just some ideas that might help out the cache page.

Thanks,

Oakley1975

I have never really been disappointed unless I just plain did not find it. I have found a few caches in bad shape but didn't regret looking for it. I try my best to check on mine every once in a while and fix em up. Maybe add new swag and replace ziplocks or cache container if nessisary. I was just thinkign that if a cache is well maintained and it is in writing when people read the cache page they will feel better about going to look for it.

I'm not trying to bring up anything about caches in bad shape... just a idea in addition to StarBrand's idea of maintaining caches.

Oakley1975

Gotten a little off topic here - any more comments on my Original Post?? (Owners making Found logs have nothing to do with my idea as I see it)

You are correct, sorry.

To get back on topic I would like to reply to your first post.

I see no need for the changes you are asking for.

Things work just fine the way they are.

Oops, you're right, but I should ahve been a little more specific. Actually, with " - Select One - " being listed twice, it always looks like more than four.

However, on a cache you own, there are eight options, which is more what I was getting at, since this would be an owner option.

Jamie

Your right... there is alot of stuff there on one of your own... ahh well, just ideas that might lead to something useful.. but that would clutter up the options... we could add a few more to it like, "Found it with a green coat on"... or "Didnt find it because I couldnt reach it from the car".....

<_<:lol: anyways... I gots to go to bed...I'mn gettin foolish

However, on a cache you own, there are eight options, which is more what I was getting at, since this would be an owner option.

I'm partly with Jamie Z, and partly with the idea of a maintainence log. I don't like too many options since it starts to get real confusing real quick with all of them.

I am adding a conditional calculation to log entry pages in the next version of the site, which will remove log types that are unnecessary (like disable when the cache is already disabled). This will help somewhat.

So I haven't decided yet what to do with this request. I think we should let the discussion continue for a while longer.

What about the reviewer note I suggested above? Would this suffice?

There was talk at one time of having the reviewer notes get automatically emailed to the reviewer of the cache. I don't know if that idea is still on the table, but using that log type for a totally different reason just seems like a bad idea to me.

What about the reviewer note I suggested above?  Would this suffice?

There was talk at one time of having the reviewer notes get automatically emailed to the reviewer of the cache. I don't know if that idea is still on the table, but using that log type for a totally different reason just seems like a bad idea to me.

I saw it was there and used it to log my maintenance visit. Since the cache has been there for years I figured it would be alright. No problem, thanks for the input. :D

I don't know why this is needed. In my opinion, the 'note' option works fine. Often, someone other than the owner will describe the condition of the cache either in a 'found' log or a 'note' log. Why do we need a special log type just to record maintenance visits?

edited the typo too late. :D

Edited by sbell111

I agree w/ J. on prudence in recklessly adding icons/buttons/options, and furthermore, the last found smiley face would seem to confirm what StarBrand originally suggested (i.e. some icon to confirm that a cache has been recently checked).

But I do think that some perpetual uptop indicator that the cache is viable would be very reassuring. Buried in the logs isn't very effective as many don't d/l logs with the page. So perhaps... if (as Oakley1975 suggested) there could be a link/indicator uptop next to the Date Hidden labeled "Last Date Cache Confirmed" or somesuch - that could be tied to either a maintenance check by the owner, and/or the last found log - to indicate the last date the cache (and likewise all wpts on a multi) was/were actually confirmed as THERE, would be most helpful - especially if that field would d/l w/ PQs.

Or... something like that...

Ok, how about this... dont make any changes to the page. Maybe we could just make up a "smilie" that looks like a hammer and a wrench or something... that you could put next to your note indicating that you did maintenance to the cache.. regardless if you are the owner or not. It would just be something that would catch your eye when scanning over the posts.

It may not be needed but neither is the smilie with the bulged out eye.. :laughing: but were not discussung his usefulness... :rolleyes:

Oakley1975

Thinking hard about this what i feel we are saying is:

1) The owner of this cache is still active and is looking after this cache.

or

2) The owner of this cache is not active and if you go to this cache taking a spare log book etc with you might just be a good idea

I don't know how implementing this change would achieve what you are looking for. Many cacher owners visit their caches regularly, but only log a note online if a problem had been posted. Also, a cache owner may not visit the cache at all, if the logs let him know that all is well.

I brought this up because it is sometimes not quickly apparent EXACTLY when I last checked on some of my caches. I usually leave a note indicating cache check but have to scroll and read many entries to find my last note. Problem with having 45+ hides. I also like the idea of a notation for last owners check. Some caches go without a visit for months and it is reassuring to know the owner has checked on them since the last find log. Also it is nice to know if the owner checked after a reported problem or a series of DNF. Just a bit of clarification - I agree that we don't need unecessary choices but I think this is a good idea.

If you did a maintenance on your cache and then logged a note, wouldnt you write in your note that the cache is ok and you just did maintenance on it?...

Not necessarily. If there had been a problem reported, I would post a note that it had been corrected. If I was just routinely checking the cache, I would not post a note.