Geowoodstock 2006?

I have heard of several areas that might be interested. California? Michigan?

I think they don't get the next host determined until the current Woodstock is over. To be competetive, it would take a well organized group with the resources available to coordinate a large event. For example, I could see Texas or Michigacn taking that on quite well.

To answer a few of the Questions about GeoWoodstock 2006 I will try to give you a bit of history. The First Woodstock was held as a way for the Top Cachers to get together and meet. GeoWoodstock was the brainchild of JoGps and a few others as a way to get the top 10 cachers together since that time it has continued to grow. After last years event and subsequent choosing of Jacksonville for this year there have been some discussions between JoGps and others who have particapated in the events in the past and currently and we have tried to come up with a process where GeoWoodstock and it's tradition can be carried on. I was expecting a formal announcement from Joe about this as well but basically the selection process will be done after GWIII this year. One of the stipulations that we have discussed and I think we have agreed upon is for a group to host the next year they have to attend the previous year's event. To be able to see and understand what they are taking on and to get some sense and spirit of the event. I know Joe has received some queries about hosting GW4 as well as I have. Continue to watch this forum for more details.

No Contest, It should Be in the Sacramento-San Jose Area In California, We Have the Most Caches and Most of the Top 25 Cachers by Rank Then Anywhere Else in The Universe.

Well, since that is settled where is it going to be in 2007 :D

Texas has a few cachers attending this year's GW. How many do we need to attend to qualify?

To address the San Jose / Sacramento and Las Vegas posts - dream on.

Texas is the 2nd largest state in both size and population. We have 2 of the top 10 largest metro areas in the country as well as two enormous airports (Dallas and Houston) that are easily accessible from anywhere in the world (sorry Sacramento).

In addition, Dallas / Fort Worth, Houston, and Austin are *very* high in cache density. Since its all about the numbers at this event the candidate host cities in the Lone Star State will not disappoint.

We're very experienced with large geocaching events as our yearly Texas Challenge brings in hundreds of cachers from all over the state.

Why have it anywhere else?! :D

Oh Come on 9key, get real, San Jose-Sacramento, is the Best, for all the reasons i wrote and more, if more is needed just email me and i'll give them to you

and to everybody the reason for the quote, don't mess with texas, is because they are full of it, its not worth your time.

I can think of many worthy areas including Texas and California. Michigan, Colorado, Georgia, Utah, Washington and several east coast states (particularly New York) also come to mind. All have active and fairly large organizations that could handle such an event. Regardless of where it is, I bet it will fun! I enjoyed GW2 and regret that I will have to miss GW3. I am hoping to make it to 4. :o

I can think of many worthy areas including Texas and California. Michigan, Colorado, Georgia, Utah, Washington and several east coast states (particularly New York) also come to mind. All have active and fairly large organizations that could handle such an event. Regardless of where it is, I bet it will fun! I enjoyed GW2 and regret that I will have to miss GW3. I am hoping to make it to 4. :(

Well thanks CarleenP for mentioning Utah. that would be nice. I am aware of one individual that is planning to make it to GWIII. It would be nice if it made it closer to home. Any place west coast would be do able for me.

Damenace

Oh Come on 9key, get real, San Jose-Sacramento, is the Best, for all the reasons i wrote and more, if more is needed just email me and i'll give them to you

and to everybody the reason for the quote, don't mess with texas, is because they are full of it, its not worth your time.

Wow! Email on the way brother ~ I gotta hear this! :D

Washington and Utah would be fantastic locations but are not centrally located. Few non-northwest cachers would be able to drive to WA State.

Wow! Email on the way brother ~ I gotta hear this! :(

Washington and Utah would be fantastic locations but are not centrally located. Few non-northwest cachers would be able to drive to WA State.

I don't think centrally located matters that much. If it did it would not be held in Florida this year.

I think the aim is more to get it to move around.

Anyway, I think Texas and quite a few others would all make good hosts. I suspect all will get a chance to do so over the years. :)

OK... tossing my 2 cents in. I would like to see a rotation, maybe west, central, east, overseas. How about Finland hosting a GW event? (I say this living a scant 80 miles from GW3). Texas, California, and a few others would make ideal locations. But....... despite what has been said about the numbers... it ISN'T about the numbers at these events. It's about the fun and cameraderie. (and the food... gotta mention all that food!) If there were sufficient interest, why not Washington? That's where it all began!

I think that GW IV should be in a more central location to attract more cachers. As mentioned in previous logs, Texas or Michigan are both pretty centrally located, although Kansas I guess would be ideal. Of course I'm leaning MI as a member of MIGO....

I think having in a central location (like Texas) would be a good idea because its easily accessible from both coasts. Its driveable as well as having a large HUB for airlines in Houston and in Dallas....(not actually sure about Dallas, but I know Houston is Continental HUB) And were there any California cachers that went to GW III?

The Pittsburgh Area's Tri-Go, a Yahoo Group would probably hold it. I'm a member and I think that the group would really like to host it. Plus the SW Penn. area is rich for great caching, and many cachers.

I'd recomend asking the general membership of Tri-Go before volunteering us to host a massive, international event.

That being said, I feel that I can represent all members of Tri-Go when I say, we do NOT want to host GW2006.

The dates have been set. May 25, 26, 27 and 28, 2006. Cedar Hill State Park is one of the busiest parks in Texas. Especially during a holiday weekend. In fact, we were just barely able to reserve the pavilions for our event! It is STRONGLY suggested that you make your reservations NOW!

Go here for information:

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/business/park_reservations/

Entrance fees:

$5 per person, per day 13 and older.

Entrance fees are in addition to Campsite or day use facility fees.

Campsite fees:

$18 per site; all sites have water and electric.

An excess vehicle fee will be charged for all vehicles over the limit of 2 per site.

Main gate open 6a-10pm Mon-Sun. Combination will be provided to all registered campers & those paying after hours activity fees.

2 Night Minimum Reservations REQUIRED for ALL campsites on Holiday Weekends. Yes, this means us, too.

You may pay by cash, check (with valid drivers license), travelers check or credit card (Discover, Mastercard or Visa).

Go here for info on CHSP:

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/findade...rks/cedar_hill/

Go here for a video of CHSP:

http://www.zekesuncle.com/geocache/cedar.ram

I can't stress this enough! Call NOW! If the park knows we have a bunch of people coming, they might be able to put us on one side of the park instead of speading us out. And it's a big park.

See ya there!

Hey guys, do me a favor please.

Go ahead and post the information in Zeke's Uncle's post as the first post in a new topic. Call the topic "GeoWoodstock 4 Information" or something to that effect. I will then pin the new topic in this forum.

Thanks!

Here's a vote for Michigan. Not exactly sure where it would take place, but there are a ton of caches around.

The dates have been set: May 25, 26, 27 and 28, 2006.

Location: Cedar Hill State Park, 15 miles southwest of Dallas.

Cedar Hill is one of the busiest parks in Texas, especially during a holiday weekend. In fact, we were just barely able to reserve the pavilions for our event! It is STRONGLY suggested that you make your reservations NOW!

more information here