How Do You Keep Track Of Finds.....

GixxerUT

Paper gets wet, or lost, so I go paperless. But, I'm not real big on PDA text entry while out in the woods, or night caching, or bouncing around in a cachemobile. I jot my notes with the PDA stylus using the PDA's notepad feature. They're just scribbles to remind me of which cache is which. An entry might read: "GC1234, Riverside, L: mouse TB 123456, muddy." I can write that note while at the cache or walking back to the car; it takes 10 seconds and it is date/time stamped. When I return home I just page through all the notes to do my logging.

I used to just carry the cache pages and write any notes on the pages. When I found a cache I folded up the page and put it in a different pocket.

Since I went paperless and got Cachemate that takes care of it for me. Using Cachemate I can move the cache from the Not Found to the Found bucket with a click. I can also note what I traded in and out and any TBs left or found.

Since you're using GPXsonar, you can take notes right in there. This is how I do all my paperless caching. When you find the cache, after logging, go to the PDA and log it there. Here's how:

Find the cache in your list on GPXSonar. Do a "Tap-and-hold" so that the menu comes up. Select Field Notes from there. you can now enter a note about what you found or whatever. There are four types of notes, as there are here: Found it, Didn't find it, Note, Archive It. Select the note that best works for you, and then save it by clicking the X in the upper corner. You'll now have a small icon associated with that cache in your GPXSonar. A green page for a found log, a red one for not found, a grey one for a note. I've not put in an archive it log before, so no issue there.

I used to just carry the cache pages and write any notes on the pages. When I found a cache I folded up the page and put it in a different pocket.

That's what I still do. I write the order of the finds (plus other notes like what I trade and other notable things) on each description page, and I log them in reverse order (starting from the last find) to make them show in right order on My Cache Page.

I still use paper....write notes on the sheet, etc. And I have all the sheets for all my caches in a file folder.....not sure why, but I guess if there is ever a huge computer crash and everyone else's logs are lost, when the system is back up, I can re-enter mine with little problem. :mad:

We carry a notebook to jot down every cache and letterbox we've been to. We use a m105 Palm and the capacitor is notorious for going out so when you change batteries you lose everything, so that's not an option.

We're able to go back and find our notes on every cache we've ever visited or attempted. That's not to mention notes about our journeys, as well. AND you have a handy pad to do puzzles or draw maps or whatever. We don't worry about it getting wet because we keep it with the PDA and if there's going to be a problem with it getting wet, we've got more important things to worry about--like not drowning.

I've got a good memory. That, and I cache with a two year old, so 6 or 7 caches in a day is a REALLY good day, so not too many to keep up with.

Anyhow, to keep track of where I've been, when I find a cache, I replace the Geocache icon on my Garmin with a Geocache Found icon for the waypoint. If there are any particular notes or a details I suspect I may forget, then I write it on the cache page print up (before I went paperless) or just write a note on my PDA.

That's what I still do. I write the order of the finds (plus other notes like what I trade and other notable things) on each description page, and I log them in reverse order (starting from the last find) to make them show in right order on My Cache Page.

This is what I do as well.

Since you're using GPXsonar, you can take notes right in there.  This is how I do all my paperless caching.  When you find the cache, after logging, go to the PDA and log it there.  Here's how:

Find the cache in your list on GPXSonar. Do a "Tap-and-hold" so that the menu comes up.  Select Field Notes from there.  you can now enter a note about what you found or whatever.  There are four types of notes, as there are here: Found it, Didn't find it, Note, Archive It.  Select the note that best works for you, and then save it by clicking the X in the upper corner.  You'll now have a small icon associated with that cache in your GPXSonar.  A green page for a found log, a red one for not found, a grey one for a note.  I've not put in an archive it log before, so no issue there.

Exactly what I do. I also timestamp each log so I know when they were found. I haven't printed anything out in a loooong time. Use the tools you have, that's why they're there.

Edited by WildGooseChase

I have an Axim too. What I do is open a note and then cut and paste the cache waypoint, the GCXXXX, on to the note of I can just write it on depending on my mode. I have the 3800 mamphr battery so my Axim will work for 14+ hours of on time and with the backup battery in the Axim you never lose you data or just write it to the CF or SD card if your afraid of that. Otherwise I just scribble on a starbucks napkin, LOL.

cheers

I guess you can call me sort of paperless now.

i have the 60cs set up with the cache waypoint number in the notes field so i can bring up the page on my phone if I get stuck.

Usually I don't do too many caches at once so I can tell them apart and remember what I traded (usualy nothing). If I forget the gps will pu it into the calander when I mark it as found.

That's not to say i don't make mitakes, I have forgotten to log caches untill about a month later when I look at the page. I'll stare at it for a while then the hunt ill pop back in my head.

Joe Smith

I use Cachemate, with the log ending feature. Unfortunately, my mastery of graffiti (particularly balanced on one foot in the snow) is not the greatest. So I'd get home and find "took: bur flug left: fennk" in the log: section. Then I began jotting it down on paper. I mean, duh, I'm standing there with a pen in my hand anyway. If only I could find that bit of paper.

I finally solved it. I only go after one smiley per caching day :mad:

We use a digital camera to make a picture of the GPSr screen with the GC number of the cache just before starting our search. We also make pictures of mult-stage clues along the way. When we find the cache, we make pictures of any travel bugs (including tag numbers) we leave or take, a spoiler photo of the cache hiding place, and the signed log book. When we get home, we upload the pictures to our computer and save them in a folder labeled with the date. We also upload the track log from the GPSr. The log book photo helps when doing the on-line log because we can see what we originally wrote. If we need to refer back to a particular hunt, it's easy to look up the date we logged the cache on GC.com and find the corresponding folder.

I use a program called DayNotez that allows you to keep a journal on your Palm. I set up a special template in this program that allows me to quickly log the details of a cache: the GCID, whether or not I found it, what I took/left and any other notes. When I get back home I can scroll through my Palm and log the caches as I go.

Bret

At each cache location I change the icon on my gps from Not Found to Found and when I get home I download my GPS tracklogs and waypoints to mapsource. Once I look at the screen and all the tracks and waypoints, I can easily follow the order in which we found them and where we have been. I also save all of these...I'm a tracklog junkie!!

I also use cachemate and move them from list to list as we find them. Paperless caching is a true convenience.

Kar

I use a Legend and an Axim PPC with GPXSonar.  What is the easiest way to keep track of your finds/not finds when you are out geocaching?

I use a Palm with Cachemate, I log the find and I move the record for the cache from the main list to a database called "new finds". At the end of the day I have a list of all finds with the log info.

I go into the waypoint on my GPS and change the Geocache icon to Geocache Found.

I also carry a small Rite in the Rain notebook in which I write down my finds, the date, and the cache coordinates. I don't know why I write the coordinates down; I just copy them from the cache page. When I'm dead, maybe my nephew will find it interesting, I guess. More likely, I'll lose the notebook someday and someone will find it in the woods somewhere and post it to the Internet as a found object....

I don't typically write down what I traded, though. Lately, I've been taking nothing much anyway.

I have a PDA, but to be honest, I never want to rely on it in the field. Since it doesn't have a replaceable battery, it's only as good as its most recent charge.

I lost the card reader for my digital camera (I suspect the kitten stole it), but I could take a picture with my camera phone, I guess. I just don't usually bother.

I too depend upon the kindness of a 60CS owner. I get an e-mailed list of the 60CS found log.

On marathon days (>50) we bring a checksheet for the clipboard; think it comes from the gpx or loc file. BTW, the clipboard is a time saving device-- you're quicker in and out around muggles when you look like the meter reader/ parks maint guy/ elections registrar/ survey volunteer.

Nowadaze, most finds are SLTNLN. Photos sorta help, in that they have an order, but two-thirds of the caches don't get a photo. On rare occasions, I'll photograph the logbook page. Voice recorder sounds like a good idea.

I tried using the Palm to mark found in Cachemate, but was only noting half the finds on those 5 caches per hour days. Think pilots call that too much workload when they're flying. One of these days, I'll get efficient at paperless, maybe use that Boulter thing.

I'm probably 100 caches behind in logging. Oh well, that means I'm 98% up to date.

Digital voice recorder

I've made audio notes on occasion... but what's this digital whatsit?

Don't forget most digital cameras record audio. I often notate my cache pictures with other info that I don't want to forget.

Jamie

Many of the newer cell phones also have voice recorders.

As has been said a few or more times. I currently use Cachemate. Pull my Palm out of my pocket (inside shirt as I cold weather cache) a few taps and a quick scribble and I will ahve enough to bring back any memories. I also make note of any pictures that I took right on the same page in Cachemate.

I used to do the paper thing, writing of the printout as I did my finds, but one thing that moved me quickly to paperless was getting caught in a down pour last fall. The collection of several sheets in my back pocket did not turn to mush but all the ink except for my pencil marking ran and smeared. Luckily I was able to figure out which caches were to what scribble based on order, my mostly faulty memory, the waypoints in the GPS and the track of that days trip.

I use GSAK to send my query to my Palm OS PDA in the Plucker program. In Plucker, you display the cache page. Choose to export it to Memo Pad. This puts you in Memo Pad with this page as a new memo in the unfiled category. It actually only exports a few lines with the cache name, waypoint, owner, date placed. I squigle a macro that time and date stamps it, and then write any notes.

When you get home, Memo Pad will have all of your found caches in the unfiled category. Pull each one up, log on your computer, and edit it to another category (I use one called Geo). After logging, all of your found will be in the Geo category, and your unfiled category will be clear.

I also use the GPS 60cs calender, but I also go to the cache log and input a reminder of what I traded or thought was special about the cache. When I get home I just turn on the GPS, go to the caalender page and click on the date. It expands showing the caches in the order they were found from the last on top to the first at the bottom. If I double click on the waypoint it opens the cache page and shows me my notes. The only problem is that the amount of info on the note is limited. I find that I have to backspace through the owners name in order to get enough space to write my notes.

:angry:

I did 113 caches in a weekend in Palm Desert, and if it hadn't been for my digital voice recorder (this model) I would not have had much of anything to say about most of them, even though each one was memorable in it's own right. Instead, I had log notes dictated on-the-spot, each prefaced with the cache name. Although I had also marked them in cachemate I logged everything off the voice recorder. Highly recommended.