Dell Axim X30

is anyone using this in replacement for printing out hundreds of caches on paper?  what software do you use with it to tracks your caches?  I am looking to purchase soon and was wondering who uses what with this model of handheld?

An Axim X30 was my introduction into paperless. I've been using it now for several months and love it. I use GPXSonar to manage my caches and pocket streets and trips to help me get around (in addition to the Mapsend data on my Maggie.) I spent the extra $$ for the Rhino-Skin case and consider it money well spent.

All you need is GSAK on your PC.

Export your waypoints to HTML.

Use your PocketPC Documents folder as the export folder.

The next time you sync files, your PPC wil be updated.

On your PPC, use File Explorer to find the CACHE folder that should now be in your MY DOCUMENTS folder.

Open the _1index file.

Create a Favorite to this file.

I use TASKS to record cache notes.

I cut and paste the cache name in the Subject field and hand write notes in the Notes field.

~~GS!

I have all three general models of the Axim (X5A, X30 and, now, X50v). I use them with Memory-Map software for caching. I use a Pharos CF card GPS on the X5A and X50v and a Bluetooth with the X30. The nice thing about the X50v is it gives you a CF slot and SDIO slot.

The Memory-Map softare gives you full resolution topo maps in a handheld package. I can use the topos, aerial photos, satellite photos, you name it. Now (with the new version), I can even download the cache files (LOC or GPX) right into the program. I don't need any middle program to do the conversion.

The best bargain is to buy their state sets (gives you USGS 1:24k, 1:100k and 1:250k maps already merged, plus the Landsat image for the entire state, plus the software for less than a hundred bucks per state). The downside is you would have to upgrade the software to use other maps. (The license with the state set limits you to the maps in the package.)

I use GPX Sonar with my AXIM 50V. It works pretty slick. I just run a pocket query every Friday with the 100 closest caches I have not found and name it the same as the file I used the week before. That way any new caches or caches that I found during the week are added or deleted. I like it because I can search for nearest caches by coordinates, I put in bookmarks for Wichita, Manhattan and Hays. If I am going out of town or state, I just run a query for that area. It lists the cache information, including hints and bugs if you want. When you click on the description, a webpage opens up in Pocket Explorer, just like the site, without images though.

I use a GPSV to drive site to site and a Rino 120 to cross country. I just delete the waypoints off the V as I go, then select nearest cache and as I am walking towards the cache, I turn on the Rino and select nearest on it. I use easy GPS to download coordinates into the GPS units from the geocaching pages. Glen*

Although I don't use an Axim (yet!), I do use another brand of PPC. I use GPXSonar and Pocket Streets. GPXSonar can export caches to Pocket Streets. It will even show a different icon for each kind of cache..i.e mystery, multi, etc. The only caveat is the exported file must be named the same as the Pocket Street map file and in the same folder. Example...I have a map in the Pocket Street Maps folder on my PPC labelled "Around home". When I export from GPXSonar, I label the pushpin file as "Around home" and make sure it gets put into the Pocket Street Maps folder. If you do it correctly, when you export the file, Pocket Streets will automatically open with the caches in place for you!

Also, with GPXSonar, you can make field notes for each cache, mark it as either found or DNF, grab/drop a TB, and even timestamp your note. That way, when you get home, all your notes are available and you just need to log your caches on GC.com.

GPXSonar can export caches to Pocket Streets. It will even show a different icon for each kind of cache..i.e mystery, multi, etc. The only caveat is the exported file must be named the same as the Pocket Street map file and in the same folder. Example...I have a map in the Pocket Street Maps folder on my PPC labelled "Around home". When I export from GPXSonar, I label the pushpin file as "Around home" and make sure it gets put into the Pocket Street Maps folder. If you do it correctly, when you export the file, Pocket Streets will automatically open with the caches in place for you!

Also, with GPXSonar, you can make field notes for each cache, mark it as either found or DNF, grab/drop a TB, and even timestamp your note. That way, when you get home, all your notes are available and you just need to log your caches on GC.com.

I must not have done it correctly.

I guess I might be confused on the "export from GPXSonar" part.

I drag and drop the original .gpx query files into a folder on my Axim. So I copied one of the .gpx files over to the Street folder, and renamed it the same name as one of my corresponding maps. Then I opened that map on S & T.....no waypoints.

Help???

GixxerUT, let's start from scratch. In the example, the file names will be the ones I use.

1. I download a pq in gpx format and rename it Around Home. I drop the gpx file in my PPC folder on my desktop.

2. I outline a region on an S&T map on my desktop. I export it into my PPC folder and name it Around Home.

3. I sync my PPC with my desktop folder. This loads the gpx file and the mps file onto the PPC and into the same folder.

4. Now you need to make sure GPXSonar is setup to export correctly. Steps a. and b. only need to be done once unless you change the location of the files.

4a. Open up GPXSonar and load the Around Home gpx file. Tap on Tools at the bottom. Tap on Export. Tap on Export. Tap on Preferences. Tap on the only box in the pop-up window and make sure a check mark is placed in it. This will make sure any export files will be named the same as the gpx file. Close this popup window.

4b. Tap on Tools at the bottom. Tap on Export. Tap on Export. Tap on Locations. Highlight MS Street & Trips Push Pins. Tap on Set Location. Make sure the Location field shows "Main memory". Tap OK. Close the pop-up window.

GPXSonar is now ready to export.

5. Tap on Tools. Tap on Waypoints. Tap on To MS S+T Push Pins File. Once it is finished creating the file, a pop-up window opens telling you the export was successful. Tap on ok and presto, Pocket Streets will open and the pushpins will be on the map!!

Good Luck!

AJ

On your PPC, use File Explorer to find the CACHE folder that should now be in your MY DOCUMENTS folder.

Open the _1index file.

I cut and paste the cache name in the Subject field and hand write notes in the Notes field.

~~GS!

wow, that is soooo cool. I might have to look into this paperless thing after all.

GixxerUT, let's start from scratch. In the example, the file names will be the ones I use.

1. I download a pq in gpx format and rename it Around Home. I drop the gpx file in my PPC folder on my desktop.

2. I outline a region on an S&T map on my desktop. I export it into my PPC folder and name it Around Home.

3. I sync my PPC with my desktop folder. This loads the gpx file and the mps file onto the PPC and into the same folder.

4. Now you need to make sure GPXSonar is setup to export correctly. Steps a. and b. only need to be done once unless you change the location of the files.

4a. Open up GPXSonar and load the Around Home gpx file. Tap on Tools at the bottom. Tap on Export. Tap on Export. Tap on Preferences. Tap on the only box in the pop-up window and make sure a check mark is placed in it. This will make sure any export files will be named the same as the gpx file. Close this popup window.

4b. Tap on Tools at the bottom. Tap on Export. Tap on Export. Tap on Locations. Highlight MS Street & Trips Push Pins. Tap on Set Location. Make sure the Location field shows "Main memory". Tap OK. Close the pop-up window.

GPXSonar is now ready to export.

5. Tap on Tools. Tap on Waypoints. Tap on To MS S+T Push Pins File. Once it is finished creating the file, a pop-up window opens telling you the export was successful. Tap on ok and presto, Pocket Streets will open and the pushpins will be on the map!!

Good Luck!

AJ

I had previously created folders on my PPC named "GPS" and "Streets" that I dragged corresponding files to.

When I followed your directions, it wasn't working....then I noticed that it had placed the pushpin files in the core PPC files. So I dragged them to the Streets file, and then it worked.

Thanks for the detailed help.

Nice addition to my tools to use with the PPC.

Open the _1index file.

~~GS!

I only started using GSAK a few weeks ago. Should have started a long time ago. It is a great program. It can upload the caches to my gps and also export the gpx file to my ppc folder. It can also export a pocket streets pushpin file. I didn't bring it up in the previous instructions as I didn't want to create information overload.

I'm actually using it for the first two functions noted above...upload to gps and export gpx. However, I won't use it for the pocket street pushpin file. The reason?

All the pushpins come out the same pushpin type. If I use GPXSonar to export, the pushpins are changed depending on the type of cache, i.e. yellow pushpin for "unknown", right-pointed yellow arrow for a virtual, orange-red multi-flag for a multi, a red building for a regular, etc. Outstanding tool!!

Oh, in GPXSonar, you can take field notes on it also. No cut and paste required. And, it will export them into a notes file for GSAK! Haven't tried that yet so can't comment on how it works.

Open the _1index file.

~~GS!

ive tried everything and i can not get it onto my axim im new to this whole thing and i dont know exactly what i am doing

If you can find the folder on the PC (under PROGRAM FILES > GSAK > CACHE), that is a start.

Now right-click on the ActiveSync icon on the bottom right corner of your desktop. Select OPEN MICROSOFT ACTIVESYNC. Now select EXPLORE. Then MY POCKET PC. Then the place you want to move the files (BUILT IN STORAGE, SD CARD, whatever).

Now, go back to the CACHE folder on the PC and "drag and drop" the folder into the folder you just opened in ACTIVESYNC. This will copy the data over to the Pocket PC.

Once there, you simply need to find the cache folder (use FILE EXPLORER) and click on the file named INDEX. This will open an HTML page that has links to all of your caches.

Hope that makes it clearer.