Garmin 60c - Street Atlas Setup.

I have a Garmin 60c and I am trying to set it up with Delorme Street Atlas 2004 Plus USA for tracking. I am using a usb cable to my lap top. After connecting the gps to the laptop, I start Street Atlas. When I click on Start Tracking. I receive a error message that say: Delorme GPS Error - Can't open specified usb port. I have tried changing my setting on the Map program and on my gps device. Anyone have the right combination or settings to make this work. I can use the GPS on Mapsource and it works fine on my laptop. I just wanted to compare the two. To see which is best. Thank you very much.

sOulbAit

I'm guessing that SA isn't looking for Garmins propritary protocol which is the only data stream that will come out the 60s USB port. In fact, I don't think Garmin data transmitts unless the program sends a request.

You may well need a Garmin 60 serial cable and (if your laptop doesn't have a serial port, you'll need to buy a USB serial port adaptor thingee). THEN, in Main Menu/Interface, set the serial port to NMEA (3rd from top I believe).

You may need to tell SA it is looking for a NMEA data on serial xx. XX being what ever com port the USB/Serial device defines itself.

DeLorme isn't looking for any other brand of GPS other than their own proprietary in USB mode, write them nastygrams so the next generation software will incoporate the USB data transfer for the Garmins.

It will work with the serial data cables, but data rate is much slower than it would be with USB if it worked instead.

Edited by DBleess