How To Get Speed Camera Locs On My Garmin?

M3ZPY

I don't know if anyone has asked this before but does anyone know where I can download waypoints for gatso camera's for my 60cs as I like to keep abreast of things while in strange areas, (I aint got points but there is always a first time :huh: ) Plus I am not a speed merchant but I like my icons on my gps - it makes my journey more interesting!

Also apologies if this gets locked for being off topic :tired::rolleyes:

Beware!

I read something about six months ago in the IAM magazine "Advanced Driving" that the law regarding speed trap detection devices was to be tightened up and reintroduced in 2005. The new law would extend to include and make illegal the use of devices to plot and prewarn of the position of speed cameras. I'm still keeping watch for an update on this one!

Beware!

I read something about six months ago in the IAM magazine "Advanced Driving" that the law regarding speed trap detection devices was to be tightened up and reintroduced in 2005. The new law would extend to include and make illegal the use of devices to plot and prewarn of the position of speed cameras. I'm still keeping watch for an update on this one!

I may be wrong but I believe that only referred to devices that detect the police use of radar and laser 'mobile' speed cameras. I have a recollection of 'them' saying that they were perfectly happy for people to be pre-warned of the location of the fixed 'Gatso' and 'Tru-Velo' cameras and that the use of GPS based systems wouldn't be illegal.

Beware!

I may be wrong but I believe that only referred to devices that detect the police use of radar and laser 'mobile' speed cameras. I have a recollection of 'them' saying that they were perfectly happy for people to be pre-warned of the location of the fixed 'Gatso' and 'Tru-Velo' cameras and that the use of GPS based systems wouldn't be illegal.

But the police have to state where the mobile speed camera are working for any given day. They have to tell you this if you phone them up or its often posted on county police websites.

So it would not be illegal to know where the 'mobile' units are via GPS ploting (for what that information is worth).

But yeah, its the use of equpiment which either does active 'jamming' or passive 'detection' of the medium these police speed detectors emit which will likely get stamped on.

If you download the file from the site the Phillimore Clan suggested, the .zip file contains .csv files of the gatso etc. locations. (3500 gatsos!)

You'll have to convert this .csv file to the format required for importing into the 60CS.

I don't know what the best software to do this would be. I can't find how to do it in GSAK or EasyGPS. Any recommendations anyone?

Certainly my info is that active detection (IE laser or radar detecting devices) may be made illegal, but it is difficult to make plotting publically known points on a map based on OS data illegal. As a result, there are no plans to outlaw POI warning systems. Not least, becasue if "safety" cameras are meant to be placed in accident blackspots only, as is the current policy, then you are only warning yourself of a potentially dangerous road so yo ucan take extra care.

There is a perception, probably a correct one, that active systems are more likely to be used by people who will deliberatly speed when not controlled, whilst passive systems are more likely to be chosen by people who just want to be gently reminded not to exceed the speed limit i ncontrolled areas.

Who needs devices, come to North Wales! I have a non technical and free method of finding out were the cameras are in operation B) . The North Wales Police very kindly advertise were they will be several times a day on Coast FM, and put the locations in the local papers, and the radio broadcast always ends with the message that their not there to book you for speeding, but to keep you safe :blink: .

Funny thing is I drive down the coast rd, every day and so see the mobile cameras without fail! Including the double whammy van (speed and Road Tax evasion cameras, in one vehicle) and usually see four or five cars pulled over! With all the pre waring that is given, a lot of people just do not listen.

Dave :D

Who needs devices, come to North  Wales! I have a non technical and free method of finding out were the cameras are in operation  :D . The North Wales Police very kindly advertise were they will be several times a day on Coast FM, and put the locations in the local papers, and the radio broadcast always ends with the message that their not there to book you for speeding, but to keep you safe  :blink: .

Funny thing is I drive down the coast rd, every day and so see the mobile cameras without fail!  Including the double whammy van (speed and Road Tax evasion cameras, in one vehicle) and usually see four or five cars pulled over! With all the pre waring that is given, a lot of people just do not listen.

Dave  :D

Or perhaps they're not locals, just poor unwitting motorists visiting North Wales who don't know about the mobile cash registers. B)

Until they get an invitation to line Oberleutnant Brunstrom's pocket... :D

Beware!

I read something about six months ago in the IAM magazine "Advanced Driving" that the law regarding speed trap detection devices was to be tightened up and reintroduced in 2005.

Well if they do that they have shot themselves in the foot. The whole point about cameras is for them to be visible so that traffic is slowed - or so they have been telling us since the upsurge in camera sites.

The law as I understood it was that you can use pre-plot and detection devices as long as you don't act upon the information which is a round-about way of saying don't exceed the speed limit in between the cameras.

If you download the file from the site the Phillimore Clan suggested, the .zip file contains .csv files of the gatso etc. locations.  (3500 gatsos!)

You'll have to convert this .csv file to the format required for importing into the 60CS.

I don't know what the best software to do this would be.  I can't find how to do it in GSAK or EasyGPS.  Any recommendations anyone?

Doesn't Chris's excellent Waypoint Workbench do this? You will need a copy of MS-Excel to use it though. WayPoint WorkBench

Edited by The Hokesters
Or perhaps they're not locals, just poor unwitting motorists visiting North Wales who don't know about the mobile cash registers. sad.gif

Until they get an invitation to line Oberleutnant Brunstrom's pocket...

Arrr? But how else can he deploy six to eight, marked police cars and Motorbikes, and a average of 10 officers, in one well publicised location :D !

Dave :blink:

If you download the file from the site the Phillimore Clan suggested, the .zip file contains .csv files of the gatso etc. locations.  (3500 gatsos!)

I don't know what the best software to do this would be.  I can't find how to do it in GSAK or EasyGPS.  Any recommendations anyone?

Doesn't Chris's excellent Waypoint Workbench do this? You will need a copy of MS-Excel to use it though. WayPoint WorkBench

It should do - any problems let me know :mad:

Chris

Take it from me, electronic devices to detect speed traps are a waste of money. Just do the following.

Strap child to roof of car with bungees

Give child a black bin bag full of torn up strips of Bacofoil

Sound horn when coming into speed trap-likely areas

Child knows this is the signal and tosses handfuls of Bacofoil into the air to confuse radar

:mad:

Plan B

Buy a load of those plastic windmill things that you give the kids to keep them quiet

Cover the vanes with Bacofoil

Attach to car

Vanes will spin considerably faster than the car is going.

Radar detector shows your Vauxhall Viva HA van is doing 960mph

Police laughed out of court

:mad:

Beware!

I read something about six months ago in the IAM magazine "Advanced Driving" that the law regarding speed trap detection devices was to be tightened up and reintroduced in 2005.

Well if they do that they have shot themselves in the foot. The whole point about cameras is for them to be visible so that traffic is slowed - or so they have been telling us since the upsurge in camera sites.

And that's why legislation had to be amended to pre-warn you that speed cameras are placed in a given area and that the GATSO boxes themselves have to be visible and are thus painted bright yellow.

Download the free trial version of pocket streetmap. Its got them all on it. You have to subscribe to keep it up to date but it should give you an idea of where they are and how useful the program is. All legal? Dunno, but why not? they are suposed to be there to slow you down.

:unsure: thanks for that load of info, I will have a good play but I have tried the poi convertor and it dont seem to work with the camera database in excel format or pushpin format so I think I am doing something wong , is there anywhere that just gives me straight waypoints to send to my gps?

i think the knowledge of set points is legal. the confusion comes from the detection devices. they are receivers and it's that that makes them illegal. they receiver signals from the radar guns etc. it's like listening to police on a scanner you can do it but it becomes illegal when you act upon that information......yeah daft i know.

the primary use of speed cameras is too slow traffic. i wish, it's to get money. otherwise all the proceeds would be pilled back into road safety schemes. i do have to say though that if you don't speed then they don't matter. if you do speed then you've not really got much to complain about have you?

no moral high ground, i speed sometimes and if i get caught then tough luck on me.

i think the knowledge of set points is legal. the confusion comes from the detection devices. they are receivers and it's that that makes them illegal. they receiver signals from the radar guns etc. it's like listening to police on a scanner you can do it but it becomes illegal when you act upon that information......yeah daft i know.

I thought detectors were legal at the moment. Wasn't there a test case where radar speed traps were judged to be exempt from the Wireless Telegraphy Act because the signal does not contain information?

I think you'd only be breaking the law if you were making use of information contained in the signal, rather than the presence of the signal itself.

Mark