? Mystery Caches Abc Def

Some thoughts about mystery caches of the type where you generate coordinates

substituting numbers generated on site into a formula of the 30°30.ABC 100°00.DEF

type. I've seen these well done, where questions answered were interesting,

or provided a nice tour of the area, and where the owner's meaning in the

question was unequivocal. I've also seen badly done (IMHO) either by asking for

a count of some tedious "who cares?" type (example, number of parking spaces; a

LOT of walking around a large parking lot - does that add fun or value to the

experience of the park?) or where the question was worded such that alternate

interpretations are possible.

I've only see one cache of this type published error free (although my

experience of this type is not huge). Often the first cachers to attempt

generate numbers other than those the cache owner intended. They look at a

different COUNTY Y plaque, and find a different date. They count all the animals

depicted including the dragonflies, while the cache owner was only counting the

MAMMALS and not the insects, etc. Please BETA test these. Ask a geobuddy to test

run your ABC DEF.

We have a multicache placed that is just like the example you mentioned. Most of the blanks you fill out come from answering NONexciting answers. Tedious, maybe a bit since it has 2 stages where you have to answer these types of questions. I have to say that we did get the idea from doing previous caches, that for us, were alot of fun. Ours gives you a nice tour of a beautiful state park and a bit of a physical challenge as well.

We did have a couple of friends and relatives make a run through after we set it out and everything worked out great. However, we have had a recent problem come up where the park took out a sign that was used to derive one of the answers. I'll make changes the next time we go up and fix that, this time hopefully picking objects that dont get moved/changed around too often! :o

The multicache Mudfrog mentions was one of my favorite to complete. It sent us all over the park, and each stage turned out to be in a neat area. I recently returned to check on the cache and one of the signs has indeed been removed due to new construction. Luckily, Mudfrog is the type of cache owner who frequently goes well out of his way to ensure that his caches are well-maintained.

On the original topic, I've put out many elaborate puzzle caches, and have made mistakes in a couple of the clues. No matter how many times you, as the cache owner, check something, it seems inevitable that occasionally something will slip through the cracks. That's why it's important to have someone unfamiliar with the cache double-check your work before the cache goes live.

As far as puzzle caches in general go, most of the folks in Southeast Texas seem to love them. They add an extra level of mental challenge to the hunt. If properly done, the puzzles seem to make for a more memorable experience.

I do my Msytery caches differently. Instead of counting anything, you have visit my other caches in order to retrive the letter number combos.

Here some examples of how I do it.

Mount Emma Mystery Cache

Fox Den Mystery Multi

Out Foxed

By making cachers visit my other caches, the get to visit the areas I like, and add extra smileys to their stats.

Edited by Kit Fox

I did Beta test my recent mystery cache. I had my 7th grade son run through the math part, and yes, he found several typos on my part. I then had another person run through it as well.

The "mystery" part of mine is finding the plaques themselves, the actual data itself is uninteresting. And of course there is the physical cache itself in an urban location.

See 80 Feet of Waterline, Nicely Making Way.

Sadly, I designed this to be snow proof but MIT has not cooperated with snow plowing. The few visitors have enjoyed it.

Paul

These are more of a multi cache then a mystery cache, atleast from what I have seen or been expsed to.  I guess a mystery cache is just a mystery.  Then how do you define a multistage cache????

cheers

Not on my caches. All of my mystery caches require you to solve a puzzle in order to get the final coordinates.

If this picture makes my cache a regular multi, then I'm doing something wrong.

9345bd29-5193-411b-8088-33c9b3253bfd.jpg

Edited by Kit Fox
We have a multicache placed that is just like the example you mentioned. Most of the blanks you fill out come from answering NONexciting answers. Tedious, maybe a bit since it has 2 stages where you have to answer these types of questions. I have to say that we did get the idea from doing previous caches, that for us, were alot of fun. Ours gives you a nice tour of a beautiful state park and a bit of a physical challenge as well.

Sounds good. And I've done one where I'd say the answers and questions where "NONexciting", and even a bit tedious in the set up - BUT it does such a nice job of creating a tour of the great art work in the park Horse Fever that most folks really enjoy it. What it doesn't do is ask you to count 57 parking spaces, and 49 pier pilings to subtract 57-49 to generate 8. That's the kind of question/ answer that gets seriously annoying :blink: