The Garmin Protocol Problem

I have searched high and low across the great expanse of the internet for one thing: A way to make my Etrex Vista C talk to Delorme TOPOUSA 5.0. As many of you are aware the new garmin products do not have NMEA protocol available for output. I love this little unit I just wish it would talk to the map, I received it as a gift and I'm unable to return it, so I might as well find a way to make it work. Has any one found a way to get the new garmin protocol to transfer into NMEA? I know garmin refuses to have NMEA in their software and delorme has not yet added the new garmin to theirs. With all the geocaching brainpower out there has some one come up with a way to do real time mapping (NOT IN MAPSOURCE) with the garmin products. Any answers would be welcome.

(I looked all over for a similar thread and did not find one.)

Edited by stibnitetwins
the new garmin products do not have NMEA protocol available for output.

IS THIS TRUE??? :rolleyes:

NMEA is a basic GPS protocol! Taking that away is something a kin to eliminating the ability to convert to UTM. I know I'll probably never need it, but I just assumed it as a given!

the new garmin products do not have NMEA protocol available for output.

IS THIS TRUE??? :rolleyes:

NMEA is a basic GPS protocol! Taking that away is something a kin to eliminating the ability to convert to UTM. I know I'll probably never need it, but I just assumed it as a given!

As plugged in to the world of Garmin as you seemed to be, NeoGeo, I'm suprised you're suprised.

NMEA is a protocol *and electrical* specification. It specifies EIA422 which, while technically a differential balanced signal, is "compatible enough" with single ended EIA232 for connection to commodity computer ports. USB isn't part of that puzzle.

There are devices that do NMEA protocol over USB. But since there isn't a USB class spec for such things, it ends up being device specific code anyway. Garmin, for better or worse, makes no pretense of implementing NMEA protocol over USB's protocol and electrical signalling. I can sort of see that - if you're writing proprietary code _anyway_ just use Garmin's own tracking protocol.

So if you have a Garmin without serial ports (such as VistaC, LegendC, Quest, etc.) it is true that there is no NMEA output, either electrical or protocol.

I am not familiar to Nroute. What does it do and how does it work?

And yes Garmin has demeed any protocol, but their own unstable in the USB format. I would assume that they have received many complaints and are refusing to do anything at this time.

Man I wish I could get rid of the tadpole rating.

Edited by stibnitetwins

nRoute - a cool PC based program that gives you routing with voice prompts out your PC speakers as you drive. To avoid outrageous extention cord bills, I reccommend a laptop :blink: .

To use it you need to have Mapsource and some maps (Topo, MetroGuide) already installed. You also need to be using a Garmin receiver as it only uses Garmins proprietary protocol.

It is a free download from garmin

nRoute download page

But I would really like to use the TOPO USA and Street USA I already own. Is there any way to make the delorme products recognize the garmin protocol? Or better yet take the maps from topo or streets usa and load them into Mapsource since the GPS talks to that one.

Edited by stibnitetwins

Try gpsgate. I have not had a need for this but did find it in a google search. Looks like it's for a pocket pc but it may also work on a regular pc. If you try it, let us know if it works.

snip-it from web page:

Using GpsGate you can connect normal NMEA GPS applications to Garmin USB GPS receivers.

Udate: The 1.10 beta version for the pc has the garmin usb setting. I don't have anything to test it with.

Edited by Poindexter

Awesome. This is some thing I have been looking for and unable to find. I'll give it a try and post how it goes. Thanks Poindexter this should be a great help.

Still trying to get it to work. If some one else has a better way let me know. Trying to get tech support for GPS Gate

Edited by stibnitetwins

It works. GPS Gate 1.10 beta 15 will take Garmin USB and convert it to a NMEA output. It says it will not work with Win 98, but I got it to work on my 98 laptop with the following procedure.

1. Open GPS GATE and set it to Garmin USB as Source and output a virtual COM port (number varies per machine pick ont with out conflicts)

2. Open Delorme Produce (my case TopoUSA 5.0) setup GPS in program it virtual com site and hit start GPS.

3. Turn on GPSr and let it initalize, Then plug the USB cord into the unit.

This should allow for GPS tracking in the Delorms products.

NOTE: Pluging in the GPSr prior to the last step caused my computer to freeze and I could only hard reset it to get it to work again. I have yet to test it with Win XP it should work right off with no problems.

I hope anyone having this type of trouble finds this thread. If you email me or post here I will try to respond with an answer, but questions about the product should be directed to the GPS GATE website.

Thanks for all the help I really appreciate it and hope I can one day return the service.

I have a newer Garmin Etrex Legend and also just recently downloaded nRoute software with Metroguide maps. The legend GPSr has many options for external connections including NMEA. I just bought this unit in July of 2004 and it has NMEA.

I can't see how any GPS manufacturer would drop NMEA when it is a stadard protocol. nRoute software has all the screens on your GPSr on the much larger screen of the laptop, autorouting, voice directions and runs great. I have used EasyGPS as well and it works well with NMEA and my Legend. The Legend comes doesn't use a USB cable to connect to the computer and I had to pick up a USB to serial port adapter, this combination works very, very well.

The e-trex products that are being sold now have USB connection cables. They can not be connected via a serial connection. Garmin has decided not to include NMEA (or any other protocol except Garmin USB) to their new products because NMEA is "not stable with this USB."(This was told to me by a Garmin tech on the phone)

You are on of the lucky ones to get your etrex prior to the switch Garmin made. So none of the problems I experienced will be yours, unless you buy another new e-trex.

I think Garmin is making a big mistake here. When a company thinks they can change the rules because they have a "stranglehold" on the market, they only open the door for competition to grab some of that market.

They think they are being innovative. Sound familiar? Any Apple users out there?

I haven't tested this with my Garmin GPS yet. Delorme has a settig option where you can chose different GPS models. Hit the GPS tab on the bottom of the screen. Click the Device button. There's a drop down box with supported protocols listed. Select Garmin/Garmin - meaning Garmin GPS with Garmin protocol... Like I say I have not tested this so I have no idea if it will actually work.