Why Do Many Geocachers Fail To Take Travel Bugs?

Highpointer

A second thought came to me. I was scoping out a new cache that seems to be functioning like a TB hotel. Lots of TB's. Most of them have very explicit goals. If I go there this weekend, I will drive all the way there, to find about 8 TB's and only 1 that can go with me.

TB's that have general goals seem to be more fun. Perhaps we need to have less explicit goals and more of a kismet kind of thing with TB's?

A second thought came to me. I was scoping out a new cache that seems to be functioning like a TB hotel. Lots of TB's. Most of them have very explicit goals. If I go there this weekend, I will drive all the way there, to find about 8 TB's and only 1 that can go with me.

TB's that have general goals seem to be more fun. Perhaps we need to have less explicit goals and more of a kismet kind of thing with TB's?

Is there someone that you have failed to mention who is forcing you to visit this particular cache?

I'm new to geocaching, I have found a few caches with travel bugs.. I'll be in the San Diego area until the end of May. Then I'm off to Canada for a month, at that time I'll return to the travel bug caches and take them on a long trip. Don't see much point in moving them to another local cach

Yeah, I don't know about that. I think TBs with some sort of goal or guideline are more fun than those with just "take me from cache to cache."

TBs that are in a race have a very specific goal and a time limit, which means picking them up might get a little stressful. But you can help them towards it even if you're going the wrong way, if you take them from a very hard to reach cache and move them to something more accessable, for example.

TBs that are going somewhere specific can be fun, too, because the person who picks it up may learn more about the TB's destination, or its goal, or might just find out about caches that are more in that direction (for example, I tend to geocache in specific directions, tending more south and west from both my house and my workplace. No particular reason, except that I'm more familiar with those areas. If I found a cache that was heading north, I might be more likely to head north and check out some of the caches that are still very close by, just not in my "convenience directions."

I'm new to geocaching, I have found a few caches with travel bugs.. I'll be in the San Diego area until the end of May. Then I'm off to Canada for a month, at that time I'll return to the travel bug caches and take them on a long trip. Don't see much point in moving them to another local cach

Please do the TB owner a favor and research the TB's goal and recent movements. Unless the bug has a goal tag or info on the www site that essentially says that the owner doesn't care in which general direction he wants it to move, don't just move it because you can. If everyone followed this simple rule, life would be so much more pleasant for TB owners. If the owner asks that the bug only move in a generally east direction towards some stated goal...then if you can't move it east in the general direction of its goal...just don't move it.

For example, I am making a trip to S. Cali at the end of March. I'd really like to move a bug there for someone. If I can't find a candidate on the TB www site either in my home area or on the way, then I won't be moving a bug anywhere. This will not affect my life nor my enjoyment of geocaching in the slightest.

Cache on Dude!!!

Edited by Team cotati697