Organic material in caches

ckoepke

In my opinion, any aromatic item placed in a geocache has the potential of attracting animals that may destroy or ravage it. Animals have very strong noses and can sniff out the most seemingly "insignificant" aromatic items, such as chewing gum, lifesavers, PEZ candies, suntan lotion, and even soap. If it smells, then leave it at home.

Imagine life in a cacheless society!

quote:
Originally posted by ckoepke:

I believe leaving motel soaps in caches is a potential animal problem? Some of the B&B soaps are fairly alluring. Has anybody had their cans destroyed due to motel soaps.

Thanks.

Anything with scent can attract animals, soap, candles, food, etc.

waypoint_link.gif22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

Keep in mind that while you thing that it may have no odor at all, i.e. MRE's being sealed. Many animals hunt by smell and have a much more higly developed sense of smell. My brother has a beagle, taking it for walks is quite a challenge as it is a very scent oriented. It will find things that I didn't even realize were near.

While your thinking about the smells of the items your putting in caches, just think about

the smells thing pick up while just in your home ( Dinner and lunch and breakfast cooking), in your car ( Mickie D's), from your hands (Remember that Big mac and fries?) as you choose items to put in caches and handle the cache box. Just think about mice and squirrels searching for nesting materials and they smell the paper and cloth in the cache. If you want to go far enough, I would think you should be able to come up with a reason to leave all items out of any cache. The best thing to do is to use cache containers that will withstand “attack” from hungry or nesting critters.

Later, logscaler.

As it says on the hide a cache tutorial, "Do not put food in a cache". I'd add that anything that is heavily scented is a bad idea, soaps, candles, etc...

With all the possible great items to put in caches, I fail to understand why so many people insist on putting food in caches.

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues" - Abraham Lincoln