The Ten Essentials,

rusty_tlc

No one around here would be caught dead with a cell phone as large as my eTrex anymore....

Do you think that they came out with the geko just to facilitate this deception? <_< I normally don't try to fool people this way, since I use a 3+, but it has doubled for a camera once or twice.

Edited by sbell111

ok bag 1 (long distance) :

water

first aid

knife

headlamp & flashlite & chem lite

poncho (doubles as a shelter)

paracord

100 mile n hour tape

extra jacket

waterproof gloves

sniper veil (doubles as scarf)

map w /2 compasses and writing utisel

extra batteries

2nd gps

food (mre usually)

bagspray (except winter)

monocular

emergency whistle , survival book , matches , emergency blanket

anything else that is appropriate for the area

now bag 2 (short n quick)

water

compass

extra batteries

flashlite

pen / marker

monocular

paracord

anything else that is appropriate for the area

also a pda with cache info , primary gps ,

and I usually carry a few trinkets for trading .

Edited by c88m

i have recently revised my essentials, reflecting a local cache experience:

water

wool gloves

compass

extra batteries

mre's

first aid kit

waders

french foreign legion

helicopter

pontoon bridge

monkey

200' climbing rope

backhoe

chainsaw

bucket truck

napalm

paul bunyan

mcguyver

james bond

change of clothes

hot coffee

blackberry brandy

okay heres my top ten:

1.) my geocaching compadre, lostfool.

2.)extra batteries

3.) silva ranger compass

4.)GPSr

5.) PDA (which has all of my medical info and contact info in case of an emergency)

6.) hikers stove and denatured alcohol

7.) instant coffee

8.) canteen of water

9.) patrol level first aid kit

10.)headlamp and flashlights,lighters, and matches.

in my butt pack is this stuff plus, emergency blanket,insulatebag,poncho, and gmrs radio. on that note i also carry raisins or grapes, and icebreakers mints(to conserve water and keep my mouth and throat from becoming dry)

i use the hands free vox headphone/mic on my gmrs/frs radio.

if were going to be out for an extended period of time myself and lostfool have everything necessary for field cooking, making coffee, personal hygiene, and SURVIVAL. we keep that stuff at base point.

if you are using a PDA a good car charger is higly recommended.i use NiMH batteries in my PDA's, and if need be, charge it in between caches.

ABOVE ALL ELSE, ALL NEW CACHERS ESPECIALLY, NEVER UNDERESTIMATE YOUR NEED FOR HYDRATION IN THE FIELD...WATER IS THE BEST THING TO CARRY!!!

regards

archie

Each TOP 10 list is going to be different for your location, time of year, and type of cache terrain (urban, short wood travel, large trail or tall mountain). A lot of good suggestions were posted so read through them all and make your own list. But as was stated...knowledge of the items are key to carrying them. Doesn't do any good to carry a flint if you have never taken it out of the package and started a fire with it. It's not as easy as you would think. Collect dryer lint for a wonderful fire starter. Carry a flint over matches. Wind and rain won't hamper the flint like it does matches or a lighter. One person asked "why carry rope", the response was right on the money. The cacher knew several important uses for the rope (parachute cord is best). (Quick note on duct tape, wrap long strips of it on the handle of your flashlights for storage.) If there is any possiblity of having to spend the night in the wild then you need to plan for it. The most important thing to pack, #1 on everyones list, has to be a calm (thinking) head, be smart. LOST...stay put, don't wonder around trying to find your way out. Another really smart mention here was marking the location of your vehicle on your GPS BEFORE walking away from it. That one often forgotten item can make the difference. Food..."never leave home without a Snickers or two"...this is good for a quick energy fix. The peanuts will spread it out longer but not as good as a Trail Mix. Buy some of those meat/cheese sticks. They come with a short strip of meat and an equal strip of cheese in one package. I like to carry a few of those diet meal bars. Also jerky is good as long as it doesn't have a lot of salt, pepper or other seasoning that is going to make you need more water. Clothing...dress in layers, from thin to heavy, so you can remove them as you get warm. Last but not least....CARRY YOUR PACK WITH YOU!!!! Doesn't do you any good to have the best pack you can imagine...sitting back in the vehicle.

Happy Caching

Red Bear

Spokane County WA,

Explorers Search and Rescue

Edited by WARedBear

I don't usually go on very extensive hikes in back-country areas, my typical outing is probably 4-8 miles not far from suburbia, so my list is pretty close to many of the simpler ones listed.

1) water, lots of water

2) hat, always (preferably leather Australian hat, but orange cap during deer season)

3) GPS & spare batteries

4) cell phone (in remote areas, map and compass instead)

5) snacks (meals if a long enough trip)

6) first aid kit (includes matches)

7) whistle

8) Golden Retriever with backpack - what's the point of going anywhere without a friend to share the trip (and snacks) with?

For longer or more remote trips, add

9) mini maglite (takes same batteries as GPS!)

10) emergency blanket

11) extra clothing layers

12) rope (I like 1/4" nylon braid-on-braid)

Geeze...you people are going way out.... I bought a cheap fishing vest (with all the little pockets) and stuffed it... Things for repairing others caches... But, then I live in the US 4th largest city and altho the woods are thick, they are fairly short, and we do a lot of parks and urban area with caches.

I guess if I was going to the Sierra's it would be different..

Many who hike frequently are familiar with "The ten essentials" those items you should always have with you when you venture away from the parking lot for even a day hike. If this is new to you here is a basic list:

1. Map

2. Compass

3. Flashlight / Headlamp

4. Extra Food

5. Extra Clothes

6. First-Aid Kit

7. Pocket Knife

8. Waterproof Matches

9. Water / Filter / Bottles

10. Whistle

Each member (except small children) should carry their own ten.

If you are just getting started geocaching you may have never ventured far from the beaten track. In this case it is well worth your while to invest the time and money to assemble your own ten essentials and become familiar with how to use them should the need arise.

In looking over the list the other day I considered how it might vary slightly to fit different seasons/climates. For instance I would swap extra clothes for a small tarp and increase the amount of water I carry if heading to the desert.  Water filters would be virtually useless there so they would stay home. This got me wondering what other people consider the ten essentials.

So I'm asking what are your ten essentials? Please don't list every thing you lug around including anti-tank assault weapons, just the bare bones survival equipment.

And please, please, please no discussion of the merits/liability of side arms.

Unless you are going on some sort of Polar Expedition, or a 5 day trek across the Namib I think for me there are a lot fewer essentials.

1. Left Shoe

2. Right Shoe

3. Pants or shorts

4. Shirt

5. Map

6. Compass

7+8. Socks (2)

9. Glasses

10. A mental plan

i have been into the woods many a time, long before feocaching. as far as essentials go, a bandana is one. it has an unlimited amount of uses. also, a chemlite is good, for when trips run long, and batteries give out. one cemlite will last a long time in a car, unused, and still provide a full night light. the other essential, is a water filter. a couple bottles are fine, but you can run out. take something to filter it, to get a lasting supply if necc. i would also recomend a jacket...even in warm weather. they take up minimal room in the bottom of a backsac, and nights get chilly, esp when your hungery, or injured, and cant walk. if theres even a chance of getting a signal, take your cell phone to.

man the only thing i ever take on my hikes is my etrx legend and a walking stick. ive never heard of these ten essentials does everyone do this. ;)

As near as I can tell, it is for when they head more than 500 miles up the Amazon or are within 300 miles of the South Pole. The rest of the time....you got it. The trusty GPSr and that 'slightly' used ski pole that used to belong to uncle Freddy. And maybe a granola bar or two.

Edited by Team cotati697

flip flops, powerade, cut-offs, full-brim hat, that stuff that screens the sun. hmm, that thing that captures images, oh yeah.......a GPS. stuff to trade, it all goes in my M.U.L.E. Camelbak. I generally run to the cache, walking is too easy. flashlight as well.

Ice chest

ice

six-pack

toilet paper

mmmm... that's only nine. Let me ponder on the list for a while...

All seriousness aside, as mentioned, the 'ten' list will vary from season of the year and climate and terrain of where you are going. It seems every outdoor web site has their own list, each with the claim that theirs is right and everyone else is wrong. My list varies with what I am doing and whether I am by myself or with someone, whether I intend to stay on an established trail or heading cross-country. Whatever one's list is, decide what is group gear and what is personal gear. For example -- If everyone will stay together then not everyone needs to carry a full blown first aid kit; a couple of bandaids will cover 99% of personal needs. And always try to think up multiple uses for any item -- a bandanna replaces the bulky bandages in the first aid kit, duct tape can replace the tape in the first aid kit, try to buy flashlights, GPSr, etc that all use the same battery. Para cord is your replacement shoelaces and thread for quick torn clothing fixes (use the inner strings), the empty woven outer casing is a flat webbing for lashing. Spare socks are emergency gloves.

A note on duct tape -- forget the cheap knockoff brands. Buy a roll of heavy duty industrial grade in a larger width, you can always cut it narrower (I use 4 inch, colored a bright green). Available at large contractor suppliers.

here's my ten

1.camelbak 3 liter (full of water)

2.large and regular bandannas

3.signal mirro

4.compass

5.magneisium fire starter

6.large folding sheath knife (mines barley too big for pocket so sheath)

7.large multi-tool

8.little multi-tool

9.pen knife (can be rig up as a fishing hook also it has a toothe pick in it.)

10.three blade knife

11.assorted lengths of trotline cord.

12.zippo

13.frs radio

15.princten tec yukon hl head lamp

opt 15. batteries

6-11 I keep with me no matter where I go excerpt airports I have on me right now while I am typing this :ninja::ph34r:

well i don't mean to offend anyone but it seems like quite a bit to carry for just a hike. don't you think you might be over doing it a little. :D

but then again better to be safe than sorry i guess. :D

Edit: spelling

I guess it is an attitude like that is why we need Search and Rescue teams.

I have hiked and climbed around the world for it guess 40yeas, ever since my dad could get me to go in the woods deer hunting many years ago. I may not thing of things as the 10 essentials but I tak what I need incase the weather goes bad, I lose my way, or am injured. But there are many folks that just think it is just a short hike till a mile out a thunder storm rolls in and your soaking wet and the temp has dropped 20 degrees and the sun is setting. Now your soaking wet, cold and in the dark. O' and you GPSr just died. You will probable survive, I hope, but your have a cold wet night. This is typical weather in the Rockies in the summer by the way.

The problem is people under estimate nature and how fast it can change the old saying it is better to be safe then sorry.

I think some of it entirely depends on where you're going to find caches. If you're going out caching someplace where you'll have to park the car and walk more than a couple miles through a large wilderness area, then yeah, you need essentials. I've note done any caches that way, but we used to hike alot when I was younger, so my Essentials would be:

1. Protein Bars or other high energy snack food.

2. Water filter straw

3. 2 Space blankets (one for sitting on, one for cover)

4. Mirror or other reflective item

5. First aid kit

6. Waterproof matches

7. Multitool

8. Pocket flashlite

9. Bright coloured yarn

10. 2-3 days of any perscription meds (in the 1st aid kit)

This would be in addition to the obvious; map of the area, compass, GPS and spare batteries. Why yarn? Well cause if I did start to suspect I was lost, I'd tie big loops of yarn on branches at eye level as I moved, until I decided for sure I was lost, then I'd sit and stay put, and not wander anymore. The yarn could help tell searchers where I'd been.

Even in urban caching, if I know there's going to be walking involved I bring water along. And my cache bag has lots of extra batteries :P

Beer, snacks, a stuffed badger and a GPS. Oh and a bunch of other junk that is in a backpack but I can't remember what is in there...... :P

A Stuffed Badger, but not a Stuffed Pikachu? :P

1.Duct Tape

2.WD 40

(What else do you need?)

3.GPS Unit with Starting waypoint. (I mean, your holding on to perhaps your best ticket out of here, USE IT!)

4.Batteries. I've got a ton of Dollar store batts. I usually leave them at home :P

5.Cell Phone

6.Swiss Army Knife

7.Flashlight

8.Some method of fire starting

9.Water and Purification

10.Food

Well for the essentials by an Eagle Scout. In order of priority, given that you already have your gps, there is an emergency and you can not readily hike back to your car/start point.

1) water (for 1 day)

2) food

3) shelter- (tarp with ropes attached)

4) first aid kit

5) Signaling device (be it a mirror, or flare gun[not recomended in dry areas, a forest fire is never good in an emergency]

6) Knife/multi tool

7) 10 ft of rope or more

8) flashlight

9) extra batteries and steel wool (bateries and steel wool can start a fire)

10) comfort item, to help you keep a cool head. Because being calm and conservative is a key to survival.

These are some essentionals. The first thing you want is to be stabilized (items 1-4), then tools to help you in the situation (items 5-9), stay calm (item 10 book, picture, sketch book with pencil). Always let some one know where you are going and when to expect you back. That way if you dont return they will think you are missing and start to look for you. Last when you are lost hug a tree, meaning to stay put. Its easier to find a stationary unit then one that is mobile.

Good luck and think when you are caching.

Here in Oklahoma in the urban type caching that my son and I do.

1. Water, lots of water

2. Insect repellant containing DEET.

3. Sun screen

4. Cell phone

5. Lots of batteries

6. Compass

7. Hat

8. Snacks

9. Money

We rarely do true hiking type caches. When we do, my wife or another adult comes along and we take more food, water, and extra clothing.

Generally speaking, in my neck of the woods (or anywhere else for that matter), I carry so much stuff that reducing it to ten essentials is comedic.

But if my plans included anything that might inadvertently cause me to spend unplanned time in the wilderness, this is what I would want:

Knife.

Fire starter material and igniter.

Tarp or poncho with cord or bungy cords and some aluminum nails for stakes.

Rain gear/extra clothing.

Headlamp/extra batteries (or candle lantern).

Water/container.

GPSr.

Compass.

Map.

Good attitude.

B)B)

Many who hike frequently are familiar with "The ten essentials" those items you should always have with you when you venture away from the parking lot for even a day hike. If this is new to you here is a basic list:

1. Map

2. Compass

3. Flashlight / Headlamp

4. Extra Food

5. Extra Clothes

6. First-Aid Kit

7. Pocket Knife

8. Waterproof Matches

9. Water / Filter / Bottles

10. Whistle

That is an excellent list. In addition I carry:

Rain gear (I live in Indiana)

Fire starting kit of small pieces of wood, cotton balls and a Boy Scout hot spark (I don't trust matches always)

Insect Repellent (I live in Indiana)

Paper and pencil

Hunter orange vest for Fall

We don't do a lot of long hiking, not that there is not the chance to, we just don't have the time to. Also in No Cal right on the ocean the weather does not change rapidly, how the day starts is probabbly how it will end. In the moring while I am drinking my coffee I will check the weather for the next few days. So I guess what I am trying to say is that we pack for the weather. Rain=rain gear, spair clothes. Sun=light clothers w/ a sweter in the event we end up out after dark. "we have time for just one more cache!"

The stuff we always cary:

-Water

-GPSr's (we both ended up buying one)

-Batteries (for GPS's)

-Bug repelant

-Sun screen

-leatherman tool

-A small led flashlight (LED's use a lot less battery juice. You could have it on for nights without changing the batteries. Also no "bulb" to brake if droped. I have used ours mostly to look in dark places before I shove my hand in for a cache.)

-tide book for the area ( for many cache's we have been to it was nice to know if the tide was coming or going.)

-Cell phone

-whisle

We are plaing some overnighters later this summer. We will also be bringing with the list above the following: compas and map, a real first-aid kit, signal mirror, ext.

I would also like to add that I do my homework before I leave the house. i.e. what time is the sun going to set. What kind of terain am I going to be traveling over to get to the cache. As mentioned above, what is the weather going to be like for the next 2 days ( I know this will not work everywhere in the U.S. but it still can help). B)

To close I also try to just use my head. "If I fall from this 20' rock trying to find a quick way back from the cache I won't be able to walk the 5miles back to the car which means I won't be able to log my find later. " B)