Buxton/peak District

Kitty Hawk

I'm off to stay in Buxton for 3 or 4 days, with my wife and 2 kids aged 2 and 6.

Can people recommend any good suitable caches between Buxton and Sheffield, you know the score, nice woods/moorland, maybe a play area nearby, not too muddy... (the kids like mud/streams, but we're in a hotel ..)

I know I can look them up and get a fair idea, but there's nothing like local knowledge and I've not been up there exept for funerals and weddings for a good few years.

Cheers

Adrian

Yikes - apart from caching, what other kiddy entertainment is there? If it rains I'm doomed. Recommendations again please. We're off on Saturday til Tuesday.

I've done quite a lot around here it's my favorite area, look on my profile email me for advice on any and i'll let you know if i would take my 2 yr old grandaughter on them. can't advise to much about the mud this time of year though but for starters......wier is it...surprise...highest derbyshire inn....3 card trick (a very nice 4 series on a very flat clean surface buggy friendly ...

HOW MANY DO WANT!

A few nice Trig@#*nt in the area as well ;):D

shh you ain't seen me right :D

The two that davester recommended are good

I'm looking forward to doing a trig or two, trouble is the family is less keen on them - more interested in treasure than views. I'll have to do them stealthily -

"is that a cache up on that hill? I'll jog over and check".

"Was it?".

"No, just a lump on concrete, lets look over there"

All these look good especially the viking one and the ruins one and the caves one.... the Peak district's great isn't it.

Adrian

Grinning from 'ere to 'ere duly thirded!

I would take the spoiler photo along with you just in case but try to find it without.

We did find it without but in high tree cover it was very very difficult!!!

I can also recommend Cave Dale Cache which is a few miles north of Buxton and you could take in Peveril Castle whilst you are there. After caching I highly recommend the coffee house (Project X?) which I think is on George St. If you come out of the Opera House straight down the steps and walk in a straight line down the small road with the nice town houses on your right you will come to the coffee house a few hundred feet on the right. For a more hearty meal check out the Old Hall which is opposite the Opera House on the right hand side.

Have fun in this great town!

A castle, a cache with caves then coffee, cakes and hot chocolate. Apart from the opportunity to alliterate that is everything a family with a 6 year old boy needs!

I'll definately do "Grin-ning from ere to ere"

Thanks Hokesters,

Are there any memorable ones over by Mam Tor or Hathersage? - we'll be over there for a cave visit I think and a visit to Little John's grave.

Doh, Cave Dale cache is in Castleton - I forgot that was called Peverill Castle. I'm starting to regain my bearings now.

There seems to be a trig at Mam Tor - I think I can picture the route that cache takes - it would be a fantastic mountain bike route if it were allowed - I bet it's not though. WE won't be doing it on this visit - too challenging hills for the 2 year old, and if he goes in the rucksack it'll be too hard for the wife :o . I can imagine the 6 year old being mardy at the end of it as well. I reckon I'll do the trig though, you can drive quite close (I think/hope)

I'm driving up on Saturday, setting off home again on Tuesday. I've just found out the hotel has wireless broadband so I'm sorted in that regard. I really wish I had a PDA gps though.

Adrian

There is a MULTI that uses mam tor (I think) But I have not got arount to it YET !!! :o  Cache page

When are you up there ?

We would recommend that one too - one of the best days caching we have ever had. And its all virtual :o

I remember that one.... As it was 8 p.m. and the final cache of my day (I'd already done three other caches and 5 trig points) I thought I'd be clever and drive to the locations rather than walk the circular route. So I did them in the order 1,2 4 and finally walked (?) up to 3. That was a BAD choice. Believe me, it's much, much easier to get from 3 to 4 than it is to get from from 4 to 3 and back again. (just look at the map contours!!!). My log is here if you're remotely interested :huh:

We would recommend that one too - one of the best days caching we have ever had. And its all virtual :mad:

I remember that one.... As it was 8 p.m. and the final cache of my day (I'd already done three other caches and 5 trig points) I thought I'd be clever and drive to the locations rather than walk the circular route. So I did them in the order 1,2 4 and finally walked (?) up to 3. That was a BAD choice. Believe me, it's much, much easier to get from 3 to 4 than it is to get from from 4 to 3 and back again. (just look at the map contours!!!). My log is here if you're remotely interested :mad:

Nice one. I'd read the cache page before and when the cordinates are listed without missing digits you have to consider driving it. I'll take your experience as advice!

Another cache and 2 trigs as well - this sounds like a little evening excursion.

Edited by Kitty Hawk
A castle, a cache with caves then coffee, cakes and hot chocolate. Apart from the opportunity to alliterate that is everything a family with a 6 year old boy needs!

Cave Dale cache is quite a slog uphill from Castleton but your little man should be alright :mad:

Grinning from 'ere to 'ere is also very near Pooles Cavern and the cache itself gives some stunning views over the town and valley.

Grinning is closer to the town centre being within easy walking distance. Castleton is about 10 miles NE.

Don't forget to watch out for some of what are quite possibly the most exhorbitant charges for parking in the UK (London aside) in Castleton.

After I'd parked there I felt I had the right to dig up the tarmac and take it home with me!

BTW, I don't feel that cache does the Great Ridge near Castleton justice.

Castleton is about 10 miles NE.

Castleton is the area I'll remember best, my Gran and Grandad used to live in Bradwell and I used to get farmed off there every summer holidays. I used to spend a week or so up there evry year even after I left school, but they died about 9 years ago and I've not been back since. Very excited to be visiting.

Don't forget to watch out for some of what are quite possibly the most exhorbitant charges for parking in the UK (London aside) in Castleton.

[snip]

Avoid holiday time and you can find parking pretty cheap. If it is still a problem then offer the guy at the petrol station a couple of quid to mind your car :unsure:

Dave - give us a link if you have the Great Ridge on your site but don't forget Kittyhawk has some children them.

[snip]

Avoid holiday time and you can find parking pretty cheap. If it is still a problem then offer the guy at the petrol station a couple of quid to mind your car :D

Dave - give us a link if you have the Great Ridge on your site but don't forget Kittyhawk has some children them.

:ph34r:

Parking a bit further up on the road also only costs a couple of quid for the day.

I don't have a walk of my own for the Great Ridge as I last did it before I was a cacher.

http://www.walkingbritain.co.uk/walks/walksv1/vw095.shtml is an excellent one though although the only cache is on Winhill. I had a lengthy chat with a National Trust warden on Mam Tor though (where they often have a little info stall at the weekends) and regarding a geocache he said that it wouldn't pose a problem to place one. The broken road below Mam Tor would also be a great place for a cache.

That walk isn't so good with kids though, although it is possible to park at the Rushup Edge end at grid ref SK 093 825, from where you can walk the length of the ridge and back on fairly easy terrain, with just the best views possible (ignoring Hope Cement works).

Thanks for your help, I was a bit worried about the weather before I set off, but didn't reckon on snow!! When you live in Hants you forget snow exists in the UK.

Anyway, managed Grin-ning from ere to ere, it was way too cold for the smaller family members and I had to do the first part of this one on my own at night.

Thanks for the recommendations and I'm sorry I couldn't do more, however I have made the notes and will visit again in the bilberry season ;)