How Can I Find Out Who Has The Highest Count?

ZEEDEE

The phrase 'to allow a group of cachers to go out together and use the same not found list' suggests that the PQs do not belong to each of the cachers but are being shared among them.  Basically, the KP.com site is facilitating the sharing of PQs.

Unless they are ensuring that the recipients of this data are current Premium Members, it appears that the following part of the Licensing Agreement is being violated:

Licensee shall not sell, rent, lease, sublicense, lend, assign, time-share, or transfer, in whole or in part, or provide unlicensed third parties access to the Data, Related Materials, any updates, or Licensee's rights under this Agreement.
  • Each premium member downloads their own pocket query
  • Each premium member uploads it to keenpeople.com
  • keenpeople.com compares the PQ's and filters out caches that each premium member has done
  • keenpeople.com gives those same cachers a new PQ that only includes caches that none of them have found.

How does that violate the TOS?

The phrase 'to allow a group of cachers to go out together and use the same not found list' suggests that the PQs do not belong to each of the cachers but are being shared among them.  Basically, the KP.com site is facilitating the sharing of PQs.

Unless they are ensuring that the recipients of this data are current Premium Members, it appears that the following part of the Licensing Agreement is being violated:

Licensee shall not sell, rent, lease, sublicense, lend, assign, time-share, or transfer, in whole or in part, or provide unlicensed third parties access to the Data, Related Materials, any updates, or Licensee's rights under this Agreement.
  • keenpeople.com compares the PQ's and filters out caches that each premium member has done
  • keenpeople.com gives those same cachers a new PQ that only includes caches that none of them have found.

IANAL but...

Aren't you transferring to or lending keenpeople your PQ, which is giving a (presumably) unlicensed 3rd party access to the data contained in it?

Technically "sport" is a synonym for recreation. It doesn't automatically mean that a sport is competitive.

That aside, we don't do ranking on the site. There is no fair playing field, time periods or other guidelines that create a scorable geocaching experience. Even if the points did matter, they wouldn't accurately represent the good from the best.

I'm glad that ranking isn't done on the site. This would be pointless when this is really all "honor system" anyway. How many people cheat when they report golf numbers? I bet it is pretty high in geocaching as well. I personally think that if you don't findi t YOURSELF, it is not a find. Yet tons of people go around racking up 50 caches a day in these 'cache machines.' I'm surprised TPTB would condone calling these "finds" (Everyone in the group logs a find, even if each person didn't really have to "find" anything.)

What matters to me is quality, not quantity. Most of my finds involved a hike and some great memories. I especially like to look back at photos of the kids on cache pages from years ago. Great memories!

•  

IANAL but...

Aren't you transferring to or lending keenpeople your PQ, which is giving a (presumably) unlicensed 3rd party access to the data contained in it?

I guess the online version of GPXSpinner is bad, too? :ph34r:

Yet tons of people go around racking up 50 caches a day in these 'cache machines.' I'm surprised TPTB would condone calling these "finds" (Everyone in the group logs a find, even if each person didn't really have to "find" anything.)

Have you attended one of TravisL's Cache Machines in the Northwest? They are very unlike what you dscribe here. While many people attend, it's rare that more than a group of a half-dozen or so are at a cache at the same time. It's no different than caching with some friends, which is really what these TravisL's events are all about.

I'm surprised TPTB would condone calling these "finds" (Everyone in the group logs a find, even if each person didn't really have to "find" anything.)

Thank goodness we continually stress that it is not about the numbers. Otherwise this kind of stuff would crop up more often when there is a disagreement in rankings. We get enough strife with changing fonts and background colors on the geocaching.com web site.