How Can I Find Out Who Has The Highest Count?

ZEEDEE

It's a sport; the numbers are NOT important....

They're NOT

They're NOT

They're NOT

:o

You know, I keep hearing people saying that everytime a question like this comes up, but the questions keep coming up. Obviously, numbers (in one form or another) ARE IMPORTANT, at least to a segment of the caching population (probably a bigger segment than the 'anti-numbers' segment)....... What's the phase I hear often "Play the game the way you want to" well, some people want to play by comparing where the 'rank' to others.

They're NOT

They're NOT

They're NOT  

You know, I keep hearing people saying that everytime a question like this comes up, but the questions keep coming up. Obviously, numbers (in one form or another) ARE IMPORTANT, at least to a segment of the caching population (probably a bigger segment than the 'anti-numbers' segment)....... What's the phase I hear often "Play the game the way you want to" well, some people want to play by comparing where the 'rank' to others.

Yeah... I hear that a lot too. That's what prompted me to emphasize the "numbers aren't important" tale of woe. The crying frog implies that, of course, numbers are important. Those of us who don't have big numbers to our credit somehow feel better when we protest the importance of numbers to the sport. It's a self image thing......................... :huh:

Technically "sport" is a synonym for recreation. It doesn't automatically mean that a sport is competitive.

That aside, we don't do ranking on the site. There is no fair playing field, time periods or other guidelines that create a scorable geocaching experience. Even if the points did matter, they wouldn't accurately represent the good from the best.

Whew, now that is out of the way; who found the most last weekend??  :o

Me! Me! Me!

I think I got 1 icon_smile.gif for 2 days of caching.

But, I got lots of :huh:, :o , and ;) from 2 days of hiking with friends and family, even if I had already found all the other caches we visited over those 2 days of caching. For me, the ;) are way more important then the icon_smile.gif, but thats not something that can be broken down into stats.

Edited by Mopar
Is there some way to search to determine who in a particular state or country has the highest find counts?

Unfortunately, no. There is a large segment of users out there who would like to see this, whether on this site or a 3rd party site. There used to be such a site, but it has long been closed. Do a quick search of this forum for geocaching stats and you will see that this arguement has come up several times before. There is a very vocal group of people on here that are totally against stats in any form.

--RuffRidr

They're NOT

They're NOT

They're NOT  

that's just fine. don't compare your rank to mine, because i will subvert any system that puts me in a ranking system without my consent. if this means i have to lie about my numbers, then it means that.

oooooh, oooh, i just had an idea! since i have obviously been included in a ranking system that incluses me, maybe i will falsify my numbers to drop back a couple hundred caches. nobody will notice if i start changing finds to notes randomly.

i bet i can get a couple of my friends to go along and we can rocket somebody into the state's first place, which will mean nothing because in reality they'll only be fourth or fifth, but it's a small state so they'll know their place is false.

i'm toying with becoming a ghost cacher. since i'm my state's premier FF chaser, that ought to be fun.

Edited by flask
that's just fine. don't compare your rank to mine, because i will subvert any system that puts me in a ranking system without my consent. if this means i have to lie about my numbers, then it means that.

This has been rehashed in the stats threads hundreds of times. I think we have come to the conclusion at least one of those times that an opt-in system would be the way to go.

--RuffRidr

Neither opt-in nor opt-out systems would give valid ranking data. Of course, since the rankings themselves are skewed in the manner explained be Jeremy above (and numerous others in many, many threads), none of it really matters.

Edited by sbell111
There is a very vocal group of people on here that are totally against stats in any form.

Neither opt-in nor opt-out systems would give falid ranking data.  Of course, since the rankings themselves are skewed in the manner explained be Jeremy above (and numerous others in many, many threads), none of it really matters.

I'd like to introduce Exhibit A.

Hmm..

Opt-in... No scraping... Current... Limited in scope however... (And requires manual management...)

Not being a numbers guy myself (don't know my age without doing the math) you wouldn't believe how many folks personally thanked me for creating that page.

Enjoy,

Randy

Oh my God! What a resource hog that page is! Not only is it requesting info off of the gc.com site everytime I look at that page, it also makes a request for each image!! And that's not including refreshes. Lord, if more people get ahold of this it will bring the servers to their knees.

Oh, and do I have to be subjected to all of these stats on this gc.com page? Their numbers are making me feel inferior. What if somebody looks at this page and decides to compare them to mine?? I don't want that to happen. Oh the humanity....

We need to take drastic measures. Jeremy, can you have the server that this page is residing on blocked? You'd better block the whole domain, just to be sure.

:rolleyes:

--RuffRidr

Hmm..

Opt-in...  No scraping...  Current...  Limited in scope however...  (And requires manual management...)

Not being a numbers guy myself (don't know my age without doing the math) you wouldn't believe how many folks personally thanked me for creating that page.

Enjoy,

Randy

Oh my God! What a resource hog that page is! Not only is it requesting info off of the gc.com site everytime I look at that page, it also makes a request for each image!! And that's not including refreshes. Lord, if more people get ahold of this it will bring the servers to their knees.

Oh, and do I have to be subjected to all of these stats on this gc.com page? Their numbers are making me feel inferior. What if somebody looks at this page and decides to compare them to mine?? I don't want that to happen. Oh the humanity....

We need to take drastic measures. Jeremy, can you have the server that this page is residing on blocked? You'd better block the whole domain, just to be sure.

:rolleyes:

--RuffRidr

:huh::):tired:

an opt-in system would allow people who wish to compete with each other to do so.

if i choose to enter a race and i win it, it does not mean i'm the fastest rider in the state. it means i'm the fastest rider of those who wish to enter the comparison. the data is not meaningless.

there is no reason why i should be forced to be part of a ranking system if i don't wish to play competitively. if you wish to compete against me, i will simply lie about my count. you have been warned. from now on my count will be even more egregiously inaccurate than it has been. go ahead and compare your stats to mine, because today i have 900 finds. tomorrow i'll have 150. thursday i may try to claim 1500.

i think maybe next tuesday i will attempt to temporarily fake finds of an additional 3500 caches.

you can't complain to me about the ethics of skewing YOUR database because it isn't a database i care about. i wish to subvert it every way i can because i'm in it without my consent. don't talk to me about the fairness of accurate reporting.

if you wish to have rankings, i'm in favor of it as long as i don't have to play. i'm over here finding caches for my own pleasure. if i want a ranking, i'll enter a contest.

Hmm..

Opt-in...  No scraping...  Current...  Limited in scope however...  (And requires manual management...)

Yeah. Thanks for abusing a free feature of geocaching.com

(anticipating response: we wouldn't have to if you...) - Well you're not helping matters, are you?

Edited by Jeremy

From Keenpeople:

Group Geocaching Tool

This tool allows you to upload multiple GPX files and then download only one with the caches found in each of the uploaded GPX files. The idea behind it is to allow a "Group" of cachers to go out together and use the same "not found" list.

Sweet! Can I drop my membership now and leach off that site? Excellent!

:blink:

From Keenpeople:

Group Geocaching Tool

This tool allows you to upload multiple GPX files and then download only one with the caches found in each of the uploaded GPX files. The idea behind it is to allow a "Group" of cachers to go out together and use the same "not found" list.

Is it just me, or does that violate half a dozen parts of the PQ license agreement? :mad:

i think the key is that you have to UPLOAD your own PQ and it sorts the group's PQ's.

i'm not sure, but i think the TOS allows you to manage your database any way you see fit, although i'm also you shouldn't get to download PQ's for other people. if everybody in the group has their own PQ it's probably all right.

it hink you have to upload a PQ, which means either it's your PQ or you've donated it to a friend. i'm uneasy about the donation to a friend, but at least it's a PQ.

oh, wait! in order for you to upload a PQ that has your UNFOUND caches, you have to be a premium member. so i think it's only a useful tool to the premium members and ought to be all right.

'course, i'm not an expert and now we have effectively derailed this thread.

The phrase 'to allow a group of cachers to go out together and use the same not found list' suggests that the PQs do not belong to each of the cachers but are being shared among them. Basically, the KP.com site is facilitating the sharing of PQs.

Unless they are ensuring that the recipients of this data are current Premium Members, it appears that the following part of the Licensing Agreement is being violated:

Licensee shall not sell, rent, lease, sublicense, lend, assign, time-share, or transfer, in whole or in part, or provide unlicensed third parties access to the Data, Related Materials, any updates, or Licensee's rights under this Agreement.

If each person has a PQ they are entitled to and by shear logic they are overlaping PQs because they will caching together--it only makes sense--the results are they only receive cache data they are already entitled to.

Further more, if someone is not a paying member they will not have a PQ to upload. They will not have their finds taken into account which kind of defeats the purpose.

The question then becomes what of someone is not a PM, but caches with a PM, is the PM in violation because the non-PM is not entitled to the data? What if the PM hands the non-PM the PM's GPS, is the PM in violation because the non-PM is in possession of data to which he is not entitled? What about handing the non-PM a PDA with the cache data on it? Does the infringement come into play with the owner of the device the data is on? What about the difference between downloading free accessible .LOC files and filtering them with another person's GPX file? What about a PM giving a non-PM a LOC with data they are allowed to have, but was derived from data from a GPX file?

I can play "what about this question" all day with scenerios such as this. It seems as though if it has to do with another site a certain subgroup here has to jump all over it. :mad:

If each person has a PQ they are entitled to and by shear logic they are overlaping PQs because they will caching together--it only makes sense--the results are they only receive cache data they are already entitled to.

You forgot to prefix your post with "I'm not a lawyer" but that aside, I am not a lawyer but it does seem to violate the license agreement.

You forgot to prefix your post with "I'm not a lawyer" but that aside, I am not a lawyer but it does seem to violate the license agreement.

Oh. INAL! But that's my take, because I've watched Judge Judy a couple of times and Law & Order is on the TV all the time, so I know! :mad:

Oh. INAL!  But that's my take, because I've watched Judge Judy a couple of times and Law & Order is on the TV all the time, so I know! :mad:

Dude. I totally watch all the CSI shows and the bad guys always confess. So there :mad:

Well, I hope it's not CSI: Maimi. "H" is such a poser!

EDIT: um, just how off topic are we now?

Edited by CoyoteRed

Fortunately, many things about this sport/hobby/recreation/adventure/social activity/physical-and-mental therapy called 'Geocaching' rely on the honor system! :mad: There is really no one out there reading all the cache logs and verifying them against each cacher's list on GC.com. Cache owners can do that of course if they wish, but I doubt most of them would have time or inclination to do so, unless it involves a specific bug-race or other competitive event.

How about some other kinds of numbers and rankings? Most miles driven (or hiked!) to log caches? Most states/provinces/countries? (Those 'Visited States' and 'Been There Globes' maps can be fun too! :mad:

Yeah. Thanks for abusing a free feature of geocaching.com

::being flip:: You're welcome!

(I assume you aren't being serious since I brought it to your attention last Summer and asked if there were any negative ramifications...)

Since it substitutes for constant scraping--the presumption was obviously an improvement...

Enjoy,

Randy