Guess They All Ain't Geocachers

briansnat

I went on a maint visit to a cache of mine that is a two mile hike into the woods. I arrived at the site and encountered a couple standing about 20 feet from the cache. The two of them were looking over a printout and the guy had a GPS that he kept consulting.

I approached them and said "Geocachers?" The guy says "Huh?". "Are you looking for the geocache here?". "What's that?". "I saw the GPS and thought you might be geocaching." "I have no idea what you're talking about". "Geocaching, you know, using the GPS to find things hidden in the woods". "Never heard of it, I just got this thing and I'm trying it out, do you know where this trail goes?".

I answered his question and walked away feeling just a little bit silly.

"Never heard of it, I just got this thing and I'm trying it out, do you know where this trail goes?".

:)

Yeah, when I am out geocaching, for some reason everybody looks like a geocacher to me. But to have somebody standing right near the cache like that, well, you had to figure they were the real deal.

Good story.

Edited by cache_test_dummies

Depending on what kind of vibes I picked up from this guy I might have described geocaching to him and if he showed any kind of interest I would have shown him the cache.

He didn't seem interested at all, so I just gave him the info he wanted and left it at that.

Depending on what kind of vibes I picked up from this guy I might have described geocaching to him and if he showed any kind of interest I would have shown him the cache.

He didn't seem interested at all, so I just gave him the info he wanted and left it at that.

Good thing you didn't show them the cache, or it might be missing today.

I went on a maint visit to a cache of mine that is a two mile hike into the woods. I arrived at the site and encountered a couple standing about 20 feet from the cache. The two of them were looking over a printout and the guy had a GPS that he kept consulting.

I approached them and said "Geocachers?"  The guy says "Huh?".  "Are you looking for the geocache here?".  "What's that?".  "I saw the GPS and thought you might be geocaching."    "I have no idea what you're talking about". "Geocaching, you know, using the GPS to find things hidden in the woods".  "Never heard of it, I just got this thing and I'm trying it out, do you know where this trail goes?".

What???....... You don't carry the little business card size explanation about geocaching to give out when you have these "close encounters"...

Dale

Edited by Dale_Lynn

... perhaps you had a "ghost cacher" experience.

My bet is, he might have been pretending he's inexperienced to throw you off his scent. :)

Where's the trail? Yeah, That's a good one! B) You're the one with the map! B)>finger to nose<

What was the printout of??

I believe the standard we agreed on was when meeting another geocacher, one was to yell "Ho, are ye a geocacher?" and the correct response is "Yay I am".

Upon the confirmation, the two then approach each other, put their left hand on the other person's right shoulder, standing arm's length and dance around in a circle while skipping and singing (very loudly) "Geocachers are we! Runy muny mee! Yaba daba baba. He, he, he!". At least that's the way we do it in New Jersey

I can't imagine why you would have felt silly after this encounter. ;):D

On occasion, I've been mistaken by geocachers as a muggle. Basically, I was just sitting next to the cache, prettending to be drawing a bird, and I saw them following the GPS towards me, look up, see me and walk away. Later I introduced myself.

One cacher visiting one of my caches was signing the logbook when a man came bushwacking out of the brush just below the cache. Surely only a geocacher would bushwack the three hundred feet to get to this cache. But no, it was just some random guy...

One evening, I came across a guy on the trail about 1/4 mile from a cache I had visited, he had a GPS, a bag of misc items and little yellow rite-in-the-rain notebook. Naturally I was thinkg here is a cacher so I asked him how the "hunt" was going. Turned out he was a forest service employee gathering evidence againist some poachers - he didn't appreciate my comments until I explained geocaching!!!! ;)

The two of them were looking over a printout and the guy had a GPS that he kept consulting.

I approached them and said "Geocachers?" The guy says "Huh?".

Hmm... That's how we met AddedValue, and Skully & Mulder and AndyBott. Then there was the time we were looking for The White Duck, and someone came up to us and said "Here's the cache. I can hide it again, or show you where it was hidden." :o I only remember once where I ran into a muggle with a GPS. We left it at "Huh?"

While I was doing a patrol for the USFS I met a father and son who were backpacking and carrying a GPS so I asked them if they ever had heard of Geocaching. Their reply was yes, they had found several caches that were hid by this guy known as Tahosa and they wanted to find some more of his. My reply was I've found everyone of his caches. And the kid said cool, while the father said you must be very energetic, how did you manage to do this at your age. My reply was simple, I'm Tahosa.

And they thought I was a younger guy in my 30's to be able to do some of those back country ones. Surprised them didn't I.

Just yesterday we arrived at a small "tot-lot" park at the same time as another young lady did. She looked at us, sat down on a nearby playground swing, and set on the ground her cell phone and what looked just like a Garmin 60CS. We sat down on a nearby bench about 20 feet away to wait her out.

After a minute, she proceeded to ask us if we were geocaching. We said we were. As it turns out, she was NOT a geocacher and in fact had never even seen the cache we were waiting for...

That was a very strange experience. :o