Upload Gpx Files From Pda To Gps

Mudinyeri

Finally decided to go paperless and sign up for premium membership. After a fairly exhaustive search of the forums I was unable to find a post about uploading GPX files from a PDA to a GPS.

I see, according to the membership page, that GPX files can be downloaded in eBook format. I'm looking for a way to drop GPX files onto my Pocket PC (ipaq 3765) and upload them to my GPS from there (I have the cable that connects the two).

Is anyone doing this? How does it work? Did you need any special software on your PDA?

TIA

Finally decided to go paperless and sign up for premium membership.  After a fairly exhaustive search of the forums I was unable to find a post about uploading GPX files from a PDA to a GPS.

You don't upload the GPX, per se. You upload waypoints, in whatever format the receiving GPSR can handle. Garmin has it's format, Magellan theirs, etc.

Is anyone doing this?

A lot of people are. All it takes is a cable between your PDA and your GPS. You can get the cables at www.pfranc.com, www.pc-mobile.net and others.

Did you need any special software on your PDA?

Yeah, Palm OS :)

Cachemate will take the pocket query, convert it for use on the Palm via CMConvert, and then send the waypoints to the GPS if you like. The easy way is to use GSAK to send the waypoints to the GPS and the cache pages to the Palm, either in Cachemate or Plucker format.

If you have a PPC, then you can put the .gpx files directly on it, and use GPXSonar to view them. I don't know about getting the coordinates to the GPS from there.

Thanks, everyone. As I understand it, Cachemate is for Palm OS. I'm using a Pocket PC. I found GPXSonar and GPXView on the Supported Applications page. It appears that Sonar will only run on a PPC running the 2003 OS. I'm on 2002 and can't upgrade due to some other applications I'm running.

So, simply drag and drop the GPX files from the Pocket Query into a folder on my PPC and then connect my GPS to my PPC with the cable (I just ordered). The GPS will automatically find the waypoints and pull them in?

Sorry I'm so dense on this. Believe it or not, I work in the technology field. This is just something I've never done before. Maybe after I get everything working I'll post a How-to topic.

Thanks again.

Mudinyeri, are you set on getting waypoints into your PDA and then sending them to your GPS? You may have good reason to do so, but if you just want to get information into both PDA and GPS, it's simpler to send data to the two separately from the PC.

Sorry if this is a misdirected question, but sometimes people ask for what they think they need rather than what they really need...so I thought I'd check.

I, too, would like to be able to store tons of waypoints in my PDA, and sort them there, and then load to GPS as they become pertinent. If the GPS had a sorting feature, then I could see the redundancy of having them stored in both.

For instance, I do queries for easy caches for when I am out working and want to grab some when I have mere minutes to divert. So I end up having to erase and reload the GPS with just those waypoints when I know I am going to be doing that.

I would rather have them ALL loaded (somewhere) with me, and then show just the ones I want to see as I am driving around.

Mudinyeri, are you set on getting waypoints into your PDA and then sending them to your GPS? You may have good reason to do so, but if you just want to get information into both PDA and GPS, it's simpler to send data to the two separately from the PC.

Sorry if this is a misdirected question, but sometimes people ask for what they think they need rather than what they really need...so I thought I'd check.

I have two reasons for wanting to upload from my PDA:

1. Portability - I can drop hundreds of caches from a Pocket Query onto my 256MB SD card and have them with me anywhere.

2. I have ordered the cable to connect my PDA and my GPS but do not have a cable to connect my PC and my GPS. (Yes, I could get one. See item 1.)

In another topic, a number of people mentioned GPXSonar and GPXView as apps they use on their PDA's. It seemed as if these apps not only allow you to view caches on your PDA but convert the GPX files for upload to the GPS.

If you have a Palm, then either Cachemate or Cetus will do the job of transferring waypoints, and Cetus will do it both directions. I recommend having Cetus in any case, because it's free and works well. It's not geocaching specific, but it works pretty well for that. Cachemate does more, but also does less, because it's more specific.

Again, I know nothing about PPC applications, but I know there are several out there.

Memory-Map Navigator will give you the ability to import the GPX files (also LOC files) and then send them straight to the GPS in the proper format. The package gives you PC and PPC software bundled together, so you can plan your routes out from the comfort of your home computer and then send the data to the PPC and/or GPS for use in the field.

Memory-Map Navigator will give you the ability to import the GPX files (also LOC files) and then send them straight to the GPS in the proper format. The package gives you PC and PPC software bundled together, so you can plan your routes out from the comfort of your home computer and then send the data to the PPC and/or GPS for use in the field.

Looks pretty sweet but $100 - ouch! I'm going to give GP7toWin and GP7toCE a try first and see how they work. They appear to have the features I'm looking for.

Thanks for your help.

Yeah, but if you get their map package (Discoverer), you get a whole set of state maps, Landsat image and the software for the same price. I like the fact that I can pull just part of the map off to send to the PPC. (Saves room on memory and don't have to wait for a whole big map to transfer.)

Memory-Map Navigator will give you the ability to import the GPX files (also LOC files) and then send them straight to the GPS in the proper format.  The package gives you PC and PPC software bundled together, so you can plan your routes out from the comfort of your home computer and then send the data to the PPC and/or GPS for use in the field.

Looks pretty sweet but $100 - ouch! I'm going to give GP7toWin and GP7toCE a try first and see how they work. They appear to have the features I'm looking for.

Thanks for your help.

Report back with your findings so we can know how it works out. By the way, you didn't mention which GPS unit ou use. If its a mapping unit, you can't transfer maps without the PC to GPS cable.

As promised, here's my how-to:

I finally have my setup running - I just need to get out and do some caching with it. Here's what I'm running:

1. iPaq 3835 Pocket PC with Pocket PC 2002 OS

2. Garmin eTrex Yellow

3. GPS/Data Charging cable from www.thesupplynet.com

4. Mapopolis software for the Pocket PC from www.mapopolis.com (I purchased the Navigator Map Packs for the United States)

5. G7toCe to translate and upload GPX files to the Garmin from http://www.gpsinformation.org/ronh/

6. GPXView to view cache listings on my PPC. (I've heard of people running the PPC 2003 OS having problems installing this app. Although, I haven't tried it GPXSonar is supposed to be just as good.)

I can simply unzip my Pocket Query results on my laptop and drag the GPX files onto my Pocket PC. From there, I use G7toCE to upload them to my eTrex. I can also upload them directly from the laptop if I want to. (I use G7toWin on the laptop.) The Pocket PC gives me a lot more storage space than the eTrex, though, and it's almost always with me.

Using the GPS/Data Charging cable, I can connect my eTrex to the Pocket PC and view and hear turn-by-turn directions on the Mapopolis software. (Just be sure your GPS is set to NMEA out.) I wanted this feature for driving to caches in areas I'm not familiar with. I have yet to try this with topographical software.

Here's some additional info I posted in another topic:

Transferring GPX files to a PPC from a PC and then uploading them to a Garmin eTrex (also how to view GPX cache listings on a PPC):

1. Install GPXView http://strandberg.org/gpxview/ on your iPaq (You'll use this to view cache listings once you've transferred the GPX files to your iPaq.)

2. Install G7toCE http://www.gpsinformation.org/ronh/ (scroll down) on your iPaq (You'll use this to view GPX files - not cache listings - on your iPaq and upload/download to/from your GPS.)

3. Locate a GPX file on your PC.

4. Right-click the GPX file and then click Copy.

5. Browse your Mobile Device under My Computer in Windows Explorer (make sure your sync cable is connected or your iPaq is in its sync cradle).

6. Locate your Storage Card (should be under My Pocket PC).

7. Right-click on the Storage Card folder and click Paste.

8. Now that the GPX file(s) is on your iPaq, open GPXView. A list of all the GPX files you copied to your iPaq will come up.

9. Tap on a GPX file. If it contains multiple listings you will see a list of the cache listing files. These can be sorted in several ways by tapping on the heading. Once you tap on the listing file name, you will be able to read the listing. The hint, if there is one, will be on a second page so as not to spoil the listing.

10. To upload GPX files to your GPS from your iPaq (you can also do this directly from your PC if you want):

A. Open G7toCE.

B. Tap File

C. Tap Open

D. Tap the GPX file you would like to upload

E. Tap Wpt

F. Tap List

G. Disconnect your iPaq from your PC and connect it to your GPS with a cable like this http://www.thesupplynet.com/productDetail.cfm?prodID=6915 (find the one for your model iPaq)

H. Make sure you GPS is turned on and the communication protocol is set to Garmin (for Garmin GPS's)

I. In G7toCE, tap GPS>Upload

Hope that helps.

Edited by Mudinyeri

awesome instructions, thanks

I have decided to take a different route........for now, anyways. I did buy the cable to connect the GPS to the PPC, so I may add your way sometime soon.

I have ALL the caches in my state listed on GSAK on my laptop, which I take along in the vehicle. I do filters on GSAK to categorize them for location and/or difficulty & terrain ratings, and make .gpx files to load on my PPC which has GPXSonar. Then I load close to 500 of the pertinent waypoints onto the GPS for where I am. Sorting for listings can be cumbersome, but with the filtered files on the PPC, it is easier to track down what I want. Having loads of waypoints on the GPS doesn't seem to be troublesome, as I use the "find" then "nearest".

The way I am doing it, I am only using the PPC for viewing the cache pages, not for navigating. I hook the GPS to the laptop for that, and use NG Topo.

It seems really easy to get bogged down with overkill of all the programs available for doing this stuff. So, I'm not sure about adding Mapopolis and G7toCE, with the other stuff I am already using; GPXSonar, GSAK, NG Topo. I bought Streets and Trips, and now kinda regret it, as well as Topo for PPC (waste). I have EASYGPS, but GSAK replaced it's use.

I guess it's about balancing the gadgets and software with the actual actions of going out and finding and logging the caches.

If you're using your laptop to upload the waypoints to your GPS there's no reason to put G7toCE on your PPC. It sounds like you're using your laptop for navigation as well so no need for Mapopolis on your PPC.

I just happen to prefer my PPC for those two tasks vs. my laptop.

Just in case anyone else is interested, here's a link to my website where you can find a step-by-step how-to (similar to the above) with screen cap's from my PPC.

Enjoy!

I bought Streets and Trips, and now kinda regret it

The neat use for Steets & Trips is the included Pocket Streets. I frequently export from GPXsonar to a Pocket Streets pushpin map. It does a better job than S&T does itself (ironic, isn't it). I do have a use for S&T as well, since I create custom push-pin maps that I use at home to plan caching trips (see http://www.craiggiven.com/gc_auto.htm for a screenshot). It will create routes to parks, then I'll switch to another tool for the actual hunting. The Locator also returns Latitude and Longitude for locations on the map. And the third use is the measuring tool. I can import a location as a pushpin and then measure the distance to the nearest cache to ensure its more 176 yards (528 feet) before placing a cache there.

Edited by Xangxa
4. Mapopolis software for the Pocket PC from www.mapopolis.com (I purchased the Navigator Map Packs for the United States)

5. G7toCe to translate and upload GPX files to the Garmin from http://www.gpsinformation.org/ronh/

6. GPXView to view cache listings on my PPC. (I've heard of people running the PPC 2003 OS having problems installing this app. Although, I haven't tried it GPXSonar is supposed to be just as good.)

Have you tried gpstomaplet? It converts the gpx files to maplet maps that you copy into the SD card. Using Mapoppolis you open it as you would any of the county maps. Magically, you'll see a little red icon for each cahe on your maps. You can click to get info, navigate from one to the other, etc.

Also, I;'ve had some pretty good experience with gpxsonar for the paperless part.

Have you tried gpstomaplet? It converts the gpx files to maplet maps that you copy into the SD card. Using Mapoppolis you open it as you would any of the county maps. Magically, you'll see a little red icon for each cahe on your maps. You can click to get info, navigate from one to the other, etc.

Also, I;'ve had some pretty good experience with gpxsonar for the paperless part.

Yes. I forgot to mention gpxtomaplet for "dropping" cache locations onto Mapopolis maps. Works slick!