Military Channel

gm100guy

Anyone watch the Specail Forces show tonight where the Air Controler is using a Etrex with the laser range finder to guide the aircraft in for the attack and says it works easier then the military issued gps beside him. He was using it from his postion and projecting a waypoint to give the pilot to destroy a gun placement.

:anitongue:

Anyone watch the Specail Forces show tonight where the Air Controler is using a Etrex with the laser range finder to guide the aircraft in for the attack and says it works easier then the military issued gps beside him. He was using it from his postion and projecting a waypoint to give the pilot to destroy a gun placement.

;)

You know, I have to think that is very sad when a civilian GPS is easier to use and just as accurate as a military GPS. Although, I love the fact that the civilian GPS is so accurate.

I bet the military pay $100,000 for a unit and you can buy and eTrex for what, $100 now.

Next thing you know the millitary will be making soldiers by their own equipment. :D

:rolleyes: the military model of GPS is not spoofable you see our GPS satellites are owned by the pentagon they can change the codes for a certain area ie,IRAQ so that certain people cannot use it against us. :tired: the gps the military uses is difficult but it has the codes that enable it to work with the code change :huh:
:blink: the military model of GPS is not spoofable you see our GPS satellites are owned by the pentagon they can change the codes for a certain area ie,IRAQ so that certain people cannot use it against us. :D the gps the military uses is difficult but it has the codes that enable it to work with the code change B)

I got the chance to see a military gps up close from one of the leaders of my college ROTC programs. they keep it locked up under some tight security. I didn't get to take it outside to see what it could do but from looking at the way it was set up, and the buttons on it I think i'd use an etrex too.

Joe Smith

I got the chance to see a military gps up close from one of the leaders of my college ROTC programs. they keep it locked up under some tight security. I didn't get to take it outside to see what it could do but from looking at the way it was set up, and the buttons on it I think i'd use an etrex too.

The reason they keep it locked up is because with the codes it becomes a classified piece of equipment.

I used the military GPS, called plugger (altho spelled different than it sounds) when I was in (retired military 26.5 yrs). An Etrex is easier to use, but an Etrex won't do some of the things the plugger will do. Just using as a basic GPS I would prefer an Etrex. I won't go into everything the plugger can do as I don't now what is still classified or restricted info since I've been out for several years. However, I will say with the right attachment the plugger makes projecting a waypoint extremely easy and accurate. Great for fire missions. It can be very kewl. If you can see something just point and click and you can get your waypoint for whatever it is. The downside to the plugger is it's big, about the size of a regular dictionary. Not pocket size for sure.