The Yeti Snowshoe

I posted this in the New England forum but I thought I might get a better cross-section by posting it here as well.

I recently came across a type of snowshoe which is designed differently from most snowshoes. It is called the Yeti and their design is shorter and slightly concave. Their marketing theme is that they are lighter and provide more mobility than standard snowshoes. Has anyone heard of them or had any experience with them? Thanks!

I'd be interested to hear from someone on the east coast using these. They certainly are unique. The only reviews I could find on them were from out west, where the snow is dry and silky....not wet and sticky like around here. The other thing I noticed with them is the open cross-hatch decking....it looks like a great place for snow to stick and build up, like on traditional laced shoes. I ditched mine years ago (have been shoeing for 20+ years). I use Atlas 825's ... they work great in heavy brush...like here!

Basically surface are determins floation with snowshoes the Yeti have very little surface so therefore in anything but hard pack you would sink and not you would not only have to darg your foot out but an ancor of the Yeti as well. There is a reason that they have not replaced the more contempory snowshoe which have made good stireds, pun intneded LOL, in the last 20 yrs. I would stick with a more contempory design.

cheers

For those curious.... here's a link to the snowshoes:

Snowstuff.com

It looks like an interesting design concept in the same manner a catamaran is an interesting design concept to the standard single-hull boat. The design of a catamaran allows for smaller size and carry the same or better weiight and can go faster. This snowshoe seems to fall under the same concept for floatation using a concave surface to capture, hold and compress the snow. I'm curious to uphill / downhill traversing and how well it will hold you in place in those conditions.

When I have time, I'll be searching for reviews.