Upgrading Container?

fishin'guide

Hi all, I am new to the game but hopelessly hooked. I just started a few days ago, but have already located two caches. One I found was a army surplus ammo box.

It contained a number of treasures and a notebook and pen. I was thrilled to leave a message and grap a goodie. I also left something. My second find was a dissapointment. A long hike revealed a soggy zip-lock bag containing a pill bottle with a top that was not secure. Is it proper protocol to "upgrade' a container if I was so inclined? Thanks, Fishin'guide!!!

It's good citizenship to do "cache maintainance," but nothing is really mandatory. If it is within your ability and budget to leave a container, most cachers would be OK, I think. I can get ammo boxes for under $3, and that's pretty cheap for a secure container. The cache owner's life is generally easier if the container is real good. It requires less work. Replacing the container is an "extra nice" help. Many of us carry replacement pencils and baggies and log books, even some extra swag items.

I would echo IK. Repairing is one thing, but if you REPLACE a container, I think it should be the same type container and not affect the discription on the cache page. I have not placed a cache yet, but if it were MY cache, I would prefer the finder just let me know. I would only place a cache I could maintain and would rather fix it myself so I can determine if maybe I chose the wrong type container for the situation or a way to better protect the cache.

I've only got two caches placed, but I'd be pretty upset if someone replaced one of my containers without at least notifying me first and giving me a chance to fix it first if there was a problem with it.

If the cache needs replacing notify the owner first, either through a note on the cache page, or better yet via e-mail. If you e-mail and get no response in some sort of reasonable time, then maybe add a note on the cache page stating that the cache is full of water, that way people know that the cache they're going to hunt might have a soggy log that they won't be able to sign. They can then decide before going to maybe put that one off until the container is fixed.

I've only got two caches placed, but I'd be pretty upset if someone replaced one of my containers without at least notifying me first and giving me a chance to fix it first if there was a problem with it.

If the cache needs replacing notify the owner first, either through a note on the cache page, or better yet via e-mail. If you e-mail and get no response in some sort of reasonable time, then maybe add a note on the cache page stating that the cache is full of water, that way people know that the cache they're going to hunt might have a soggy log that they won't be able to sign. They can then decide before going to maybe put that one off until the container is fixed.

Why would not want to have someone supply a dry log if your cache needed it?

Why would not want to have someone supply a dry log if your cache needed it?

I read him to be saying he wouldn't want someone to replace the container. I agree he then used an illustration of a wet log, but he did start his comment with:

I'd be pretty upset if someone replaced one of my containers without at least notifying me first

I was going to say, if there's something wrong with the cache that will affect the next cacher I would put it in my log.

I agree. I place some thought into my containers and even the logbook. I wouldn't want someone coming along and replacing my container or slipping in a new logbook without my permssion. I'd rather they mentioned the condition in their log so I can go out there and fix things the way I want them to be. Other owners may eagerly accept this kind of help. Since you don't whether or not you're dealing with a picky, controlling owner like me :o , its best to ask first before undertaking major cache overhauls.

I place some thought into my containers and even the logbook. I wouldn't want someone coming along and replacing my container or slipping in a new logbook without my permission.

I sort of agree with the cache container, but a logbook? If The book is full, waterloogged, (maybe not a problem depending on what you're using) or missing, I would feel obligated to leave a new one, in case others found the cache before I was able to alert the owner. Almost everyone wants to sign the logbook.

I said "sort of agree" about the container because I was out caching with another member of the "Crew" in the snow last week and he accidentally stepped on the container and cracked it! I felt terrible. If I had a container I would have replaced it, figuring that the contents would fare better until the owner could get out to the site. As it was, we put all of the contents into baggies, mentioned the cracked container in the online log. We emailed the owner with an apology, explaining that we had broken the container. We offered to replace it, but he graciously declined.

I said "sort of agree" about the container because I was out caching with another member of the "Crew" in the snow last week and he accidentally stepped on the container and cracked it! I felt terrible.

Well there are exceptions to everything. If you trash the container I could see leaving a replacement.

As far as logbooks, I use often use specially made logbooks designed to fit the container (except for ammo boxes which just get the standard spiral bound pad).

I'd rather that the person left a note about the wet logbook so I can fashion another one and replace it.

Edited by briansnat
As far as logbooks, I use often use specially made logbooks designed to fit the container (except for ammo boxes which just get the standard spiral bound pad).

I'd rather that the person left a note about the wet logbook so I can fashion another one and replace it.

I add a new logbook if the existing one cannot be signed, either because it's soggy or used up. If nothing else, I do this so I'll have something to sign. I report adding a new book in my weblog so if the owner wants to go and rereplace it she can.

Edited by Thot

Isn't it weird how threads twist and turn............ :-)

Leaving a new logbook to cover for a now soggy log book would be fine with me. And in a perfect world the person who replaced it would maybe try and preserve the old one by either drying the best they could, or maybe even aranging to send it to the owner.

To me the logbook is the very heart of the cache. No matter what someone puts in the cache (within reason) the log book is the most irreplaceable part of the cache. And to see it thrown out and replaced with a shiny new one with no memories, no logs of fun hikes etc. would be very saddening.

Ohgr