New "go To Waypoint" Feature

Will+Bill

Would there be a way to put a link to the 'nearest caches' page down there too?

I pay very little attention to the waypoint id of caches so this feature is of little help to me personally. I know many people do keep up with that, but I generally don't pay attention to the waypoint id. I'm sure I'm not alone.

If it was possible it'd save the step of visiting the cache page then clicking on nearest caches.

sd

What would really be nice, is if you could install a direct connection to gc.com at each cache location. That way, we could log the cache and sign the logbook at the same time.

Great idea! Keep the direct connection at each cache site, but add one of those electronic pens that automatically captures our written log and transfers it to the online cache pages! :)

oh, i couldn't fighure out what it was for. yes, links to the nearest caches would be far more useful to me, but i can imagine it would not be so easy to do.

I'm not sure how hard the nearest caches would be, but I figure nearest unfound caches would be harder so I didn't suggest that. If that was possible it would be preferable, for sure.

southdeltan

I'm not sure about other people, but I think it would be cool that if you are logging finds, that the waypoint thingie at the bottom of the page took you directly to the log a find page for that waypoint. This would save me a bunch-o-page loads.

--Marky

I can't imagine that it'd be that hard to create a link to the nearest caches.

I personally rename my waypoints from the waypoint id to something I'll recognize when I go caching before I upload it to my GPS. It's too confusing to keep up with that id. I have neither the money or desire to buy a PDA or any "apps".

Again, the way many people prefer to cache is obviously wrong.

;)

southdeltan

Since you don't use a pda, how do you keep notes on your visit to the cache so you can give a good online log. The way I did it before going paperless was to write them on the printed cache page. The GC# is right on the page.

By using my memory?

I won't bother replying to this, I'm sure somebody will suggest that something else I do is wrong and that I shouldn't do it.

I get sick of people saying "Play the game the way you want to" when most people really don't mean that.

southdeltan

I don't have a position on how you play it. It just doesn't matter to me. You will note that my post merely mentioned how I used to do it prior to going paperless.

For me, 'by using my memory' is not acceptable. First, it doesn't give you the info from the cache page. I like to have this info (on my pda or printed out) so I can reference it on-site. It also comes in handy if I'm hassled by the man. :o

Also, I tend to go look for a cache spontaniously while I'm out and about. I also tend to hunt for more than one at a time. For all of these reasons, it is better for me to have the info at hand.

Edited by sbell111
Or how about the nearest 5 unfound caches, which I would find very useful when doing my logs.

This would be very useful to me! If I'm doing more than one cache in a trip they're usually all in the same relative area.

I don't store the GC numbers as the waypoint names in my GPS unit because I'd never remember which cache the number was referring to. I usually store the name of the cache as the waypoint name.

Sometimes I take a printout of the cache's listing with me, but other times I just go find it based upon just the waypoint I have loaded into my GPS unit. If I'm planning an extensive cache trip, I definitely take the listings with me.

As I posted last October, being able to hop directly on nearest unfound logs make makes logging much more pleasant. http://www.mtgc.org/tmp/tl2.png When I'm logging a big day, having the hint, the cache prose, the nearby caches, and the logs from the PQ does a LOT to tickle my memory of the cache.

I don't work with GC#'s, either, any more than I'm conscious of ISBN's of books I read. When I'm caching with others and the conversation in the car goes to 'shall we go to 'fox fox baker echo'" or "charley two echo alpha" I kind of turn numb.

While I certainly don't remember caches by GC number. I still use it. I don't change this identifier to put the caches in my GPSr or in the Plucker app in my pda. Also, my visit notes that I keep in my pda in Cache Log Book are also identified by GC#. I jot down enough info into CLB to allow me to recreate my visit in the online logs.

I'm not sure how hard the nearest caches would be, but I figure nearest unfound caches would be harder so I didn't suggest that. If that was possible it would be preferable, for sure.

I seem to remember such code already exists as approvers see those on cache pages.

Combining it with &f=1 would be really slick!

Why would I use the GC# for anything?? It's meaningless to my GPS, it's meaningless to my Palm, it's meaningless to other cachers I talk to, it's meaningless to ME! It apparently means something to the site of course, but nothing that isn't provided through more familiar means.

We are human's after all--make the computer do the work!

Enjoy,

Randy

I just wanted to thank everyone working on the site for this very usefull feature. It is great for logging lots of caches in a row.

Well, since I just used it for the first time, it sucks for what I was hoping... It has no use on the "Post a log pages" as clicking it doesn't upload my log and take me to the next waypoint, it only takes my to the way point.

Were to to submit log and take me to the way point, it would make much more sense on that page.

If we have enough spare time to go find geocaches we should have enough time to log them on the computer, no matter how complicated it is. :blink: Like the last post... sorry but punching in GC is quite a killer... :lostsignal: I'm really not trying to pick a fight here... just look at the big picture..... the site works darn good... B) Go look at terracaching's site if ya want non-userfriendly..... :rolleyes:

I'll probably be banned from TC.com now for saying that.. they seem to have a short fuze over there. :blink:

I just wanted to thank everyone working on the site for this very usefull feature.  It is great for logging lots of caches in a row.

Well, since I just used it for the first time, it sucks for what I was hoping... It has no use on the "Post a log pages" as clicking it doesn't upload my log and take me to the next waypoint, it only takes my to the way point.

Were to to submit log and take me to the way point, it would make much more sense on that page.

I thought it was a really cool feature until I saw this complaint... and you know... I still think it's a really cool feature.

I briefly wondered why some people can only see a glass as half empty instead of half full? Fortunately I don't waste a lot of time on that effort.

Like the last post... sorry but punching in GC is quite a killer... I'm really not trying to pick a fight here... just look at the big picture..... the site works darn good

We all make suggestions to make it even better....that's what I gave....it does help if you do more than 1 cache at a time :D

Edited by Cocacola1820

I'll be working on the "log a cache" web service feature as part of the next set of features - once I finish this next round of features and fixes. And yes, you will be able to access the log feature via a http get in addition to a soap call (for you developers).

If you don't use GC codes, that's fine by me. But the quick link does involve using GC codes, which many people do use as a reference point from their printouts and PocketPC application. I don't say "did you check out GC234?" any more than the next guy, but I do use it as shorthand when I take notes at the cache location.