Which Pocket Pc?....

I am an avid Palm IIIxe user (folding keyboard, touch-typing etc).

I originally got this kit to use with the famous GSAK/Cachemate combo for paperless caching but its use has spread thoughtout the family (ended up buying 3 more) and I do now use it to organise everything - and so does Sue to a lesser extent. We do however, still sally forth with OS maps printed out of MemoryMap.

The only thing I really hanker after to make our geo-geeking life complete is to have the OS maps in the box too... totally paperless!

I started to look through the options and found the endless permutations startling (and eventually boring). The nuances of PDA purchase are as multitudinous as an ordinary PC!

So, like the GPS unit debate.... I have decided the best course of action is to seek the sage advice of all those who have trod this particular path already, made the mistakes, spotted the better options/deals and have already homed in on GPS/Geocaching Pocket PC heaven.

We do not need the GPS option at present, we are fully britched up with a Garmin Streetpilot 3 and Vista C but want to have the option for the future...

Okay Guys and Gals, which one did you spend your hard-earned on?....

Easy...

• Buy a Garmin iQue 3600.
  • Add an Otterbox case to protect it as they're a bit fragile
  • Buy Fugawi OS maps to run on it.
  • Buy extra memory cards as the supplied one isn't adequate.
  • Source an external battery pack, as the built-in one only lasts 2 hours
  • Throw away everything else.
  • Sell first-born child into slavery to pay for it all.

Sorted. :)

We, (well me :) ) use an XDA 11. It does the lot! Loaded with tom tom and fugawi with maps on sd cards. Got a cable to link it with our Legend and off we go. when out in the field we can dial up our isp and log caches or get clues etc. Also a pretty good mobile phone but it is a bit bulky, and expensive to buy :) Could get a bargin on e-bay though.

You might as well ask "how long is a piece of string" because there are many possible answers. It's personal - look at them all and then decide.

We have an IPAQ 4150 with Memory Map, which means we have all the Landranger maps for southern England from Lands End across to Dover available while we are out and about. It is also WiFi capable so we can connect to the Internet from any wireless hotspot. But it isn't perfect..... it only has one expansion card slot so we can't plug in an integral GPS card and keep the maps available at the same time. Otherwise we are well happy with it.

GL whatever you choose...

I also use the iPAQ4150 with memory maps on a 1Gb SD card. At the moment, a cable links my Geko201 to the iPAQ, not ideal, but it's long enough to let me put the Geko in my shirt pocket (reception is not effected) and the iPAQ in my trouser or coat pocket when I'm not needing to look at it.

Also the 4150 has plenty of connection options with infra red, wi-fi and bluetooth, so loads of options for an internet connection. Of course, the bluetooth would allow me loose the wired connection if I got a bluetooth gps, but it's not a priority for me.

As has already been said, lots of different options available. I bought the PDA from globalpositioningsystems.co.uk. I also got the geko and connection leads from there. They are quite competitive, even for PDA's.

I have recently got myself set up with a PDA etc for paperless caching (amongst other things).

IMHO the most versatile option is to go for a PDA with both SD and CF expansion slots. With the demise of the ever popular IPAQ 2210 (and its replacement, the 2110, being rather ££ at the moment), I went for the Dell Axim X5.

I got a bundle with TomTom software and wired GPS (for a neat setup in the car). I have a 512 SD card with TomTom on and extra storage and a 1GB CF card which has Memory Map OS maps on for the South West and a couple of other areas as well as extra storage.

Just had two days off work and spent them caching and found the set up fantastic. Decided on a cache to start the day and got TomTom to take me there, got Memory Map to show me the lie of the land when on foot for the final approach, wrote notes in GPXSonar whilst walking back to car, then consulted Memory Map to decide on the next cache and got TomTom to take me there.

Am looking forward to being able to grab a cache whenever I am out and about due to not having to forward plan.

I can dig out a few PDA webshops if it would help, people like Expansys and totalpda have bundles etc.

All up and running now thanks to you lot on here. :huh:

Yellow Etrex. :(

Tomtom Go with all UK caches loaded and speed cameras on the UK road map. :)

Ipaq 3870 with Bluetooth GPSR with Tomtom Nav 2, with all Uk caches and some Memory maps of the caching areas of the day. 12 volt rechargable pack with lead. :anitongue:

But when the crunch comes. It's back to the Etrex. :tired:

I also use the iPAQ4150 with memory maps on a 1Gb SD card. At the moment, a cable links my Geko201 to the iPAQ [..]

I also have the 4150 - and would like to be able to hook it up to the etrex. What cabling do I need? I have the etrex - pC serial cable, so presumably a similar serial cable for the iPaq (tho this would need a strange plug on the end?) - and then a null-modem cable to connect the 2 together? That's a lot of copper! - but I can't justify going the bluetooth route yet. :anitongue:

I also use the iPAQ4150 with memory maps on a 1Gb SD card. At the moment, a cable links my Geko201 to the iPAQ [..]

I also have the 4150 - and would like to be able to hook it up to the etrex. What cabling do I need? I have the etrex - pC serial cable, so presumably a similar serial cable for the iPaq (tho this would need a strange plug on the end?) - and then a null-modem cable to connect the 2 together? That's a lot of copper! - but I can't justify going the bluetooth route yet. :anitongue:

£19.95 and in stock. That also includes an in-car charger.

Link

£14.95 without the in-car adaptor.

Another link

Edited by ribel
My new sparkly Medion PDA/GPS combo pack which cost only £83...

You been shopping on Ebay??? :)

Nope, it was a refurb from www.medionshop.co.uk which just happens to be in perfect nick with a 12 month warranty.

None left at the moment but they may have more......

That's a great price! Nice one.

I got the recent Aldi/Medion offer which is a badged Mio Mitac 168 - built in GPS reciever, and was supplied with full car mount kit, and medion navigator software - was £250

I have added fugawi OS Maps from leeds southwards, and numerous shareware utilities

(GPS tuner and GPX sonar to name 2)

Works very well as a complete paperless solution - but does need to be babied a little more than a dedicated gpsr.

I've got the Median one from Aldi, and am using GPStuner with it for caching, (I've only done 2) I have a problem though it could possibly be me. the "seconds" show 20 difference when I found the cahes. I looked up the co ordates on street map for home and it's out too. I'd be greatful for any ideas. Would a handheld GPS be more accurate?

Seconds? Geocache locations use thousandth's of a minute instead of seconds.

What did you look up on Streetmap? Streetmap does not use DDD MM.MMM format directly and needs a conversion to DDD.MM.SS to work.

What Datum is the device set to? Cache locations are in the GPS default, WGS84, anything else, like OSGB36 will give the wrong position.

Seconds? Geocache locations use thousandth's of a minute instead of seconds.

What did you look up on Streetmap? Streetmap does not use DDD MM.MMM format directly and needs a conversion to DDD.MM.SS to work.

What Datum is the device set to? Cache locations are in the GPS default, WGS84, anything else, like OSGB36 will give the wrong position.

I think the best way to describe would be,

the cache was at N51.48.599 E 001.09614

and I was N51.48.35 E01.09.36

There are 3 setting on the software

d m s.ss

d m mm

d dddd

I've got it on the top one atm.

I can't find anywhere on there that changes the datum

I did search on the software that came with it too but no joy.

I think d m mm may be the setting you need, assuming that the 1st m is minutes, and the subsequent m's the decimal part.

Looking at the decimal parts of the minute at the cache location:

.599 minutes = 0.599 x 60 = 35.94 seconds (what you got)

.614 minutes = 0.614 x 60 = 36.84 seconds (what you got again)

Edited by ribel

I seemed to have hijacked this thread sorry, but just thought I'd say I've managed to get it sorted with in few 1000ths, I'm not sure why yet though:) yesterday I was using typed in co ordenates (double checked) today I went out to the same place this time with the waypoint loaded from the cache page. I will get my head around it one day :mad:

BTW I saw Bernie and Sues keyring yesterday in the cache :mad:

Thanks for everyones help.