Holding Tb's

treasure_hunter

I think that Geocaching should start something to that if someone retreives a TB and they just do not place it anywhere that if they dont place it within a weeks time that their account be deleted. But if they contact the owner and notify that say they are planning on taking a trip next month to an exotic location and they want to take the TB with them to place it there. I believe that this would put a stop to the people who hold TB without ever placing them. What do you think about that?

I agree...While some of us can't imagine a week without caching, there are those that only are able to go every now and then...then there are situations like in the above post.

Also, your idea of emailing the owner if they will travel to an exotic location in a month or so doenst work..."Sure, I'm going to Timbuktu next month." next month rolls around..."oh, I never made it to Africa...so I put it in the cache right next to my house."

The whole TB thing depends on cachers willing to take those items with them. That means they are going into trouble (I admit it´s not too much of it) to help play the TB game. They might have a limit on the amount of trouble they´re willing to go into.

Deleting the account after a weeks time if I fail to find a cache that´s big enough for the TB or go into extra trouble would make me leave the TBs were they are. That would be above my personal limit.

I´m not too much into the TB game so I certainly wouldn´t care much if such a thing was enforced. The TB people may get more than they bargained for though. Is the problem really big enough to deal with in such a way?

TB owners might have to deal with the fact that not everbody´s life revolves around geocaching and helping along TBs.

I think dropping ones account is being a bit harsh. I presently have a TB I have had for about 3 weeks. Had planned on placing it the next week but the weather took a turn here and we now have a couple feet of snow. I am not physically able to track thru the snow to rehide it. I have emailed the owner and assured them I will place it as soon as possible.

I have a couple personal TB's out there that are being held and have been for some time and have not received an email from anyone. I assume they are also having trouble getting out during the winter and will place them when they can. As much as I would like them placed I understand problems can arrise and only hope that spring will find them in a new cache. I would NOT want the accounts cancelled for these cachers.

I think we all half expect that when we send out a TB it may well become lost or kidnapped and never heard of again. It's a chance we take. I also have one of mine missing. All part of the game.

I wonder how many would create sock puppet accounts.

I can see many more disappearing then.

I think after 30 days, one might start seeing bold red flags, once they log in, may help!

Sometimes, as someone above stated , due to illness or other things, one doesn't say, Oh I can't come to the hospital today, I have to go drop off a travelbug or I'll be deleted from GC! In the mean time the other party, is worried about being deleted from life!

SF1

Really bad idea.

And I hope all of our soldiers come home safe, too. So the caching ones can pick up where they left off.

There are tons of reasons why cachers do not drop bugs.

1. Deployed

2. Forgot

3. Did, but didn't know how to log it.

4. They lost the bug.

5. It ended up in a toy box.

6. They just don't like you and your harrassing e-mails (be nice always)

7. It got broken

8. They forgot again, it's at the bottom of their pack

9. You get the idea................

When you send out a travel bug, don't have high expectations. Baby, it's a wild wild world out there, and just remember there's bad anywhere. But there's good everywhere too. Travel bugs come back a lot, when you least expect it.

It's just a travel bug.

Breathe in through your nose, exhale through your mouth (repeat 15 times without saying anything else). Then repeat...

It's just a travel bug.

I've had travel bugs since before they were travel bugs. I have one of the oldest active ones. I would be disappointed if someone took it and didn't log it, or placed it in their glove compartment for a long while, but hey - what can I do?

There's plenty of things in this old earth to get worked up into a frenzy about. Social injustes, poverty, crime, war... I'm not going to make a missing travel bug raise my blood pressure that much. I don't want someone's else's negligent actions to have that much control over me.

It's just a travel bug.

My first travel bug (that I own) requires people to think of a joke and write it in the bug.

If anyone ever deletes a user's account for taking more than a week to come up with an appropriate joke to add to my TB, I will personally hunt them down and beat them with a GPS lanyard!

I think this suggestion is idiotic and designed either as a troll, or to try and kill the travel bug game entirely.

If you don't like it when people hang onto your travel bugs, then don't release them!

PS: my most recent travel bug that I own is a copy of the Bill of Rights. I encourage people to spend as much time as they like, reading over it and thinking of creative ways to exercise the rights listed thereon.

What if you or a family member gets very ill and the last thing on your mind is hiding a TB in a ammo box under a rock somewhere?

That actually happened to me. I picked up a TB and then got very sick. Spent quite a bit of time in the hospital. One day I get a real nice email from the owner of the TB. I wrote back to them apologizing for keeping their TB out of circulation. I was on the mend and planned on soon returning to geocaching. The TB owners were very understanding and wished me all the best. They said that when I got to feeling better that would be soon enough for their TB to be placed. I kept them informed of my progress as I recovered. Finally I felt like caching again and I put their TB in a cache. I sent them an email right away. They returned my email with a great big thank you and best wishes for my continued health.

I think the real true answer to these TB's is communication between the owners of the TB's and the cachers that have picked them up. If we are just curteous to each other it will go a long way.

Just my $.02 worth

Best Regards,

n7viv and DB............ :lostsignal:

I think that Geocaching should start something to that if someone retreives a TB and they just do not place it anywhere that if they dont place it within a weeks time that their account be deleted. But if they contact the owner and notify that say they are planning on taking a trip next month to an exotic location and they want to take the TB with them to place it there. I believe that this would put a stop to the people who hold TB without ever placing them. What do you think about that?

Nope, it'd just cause a lot of people to electronically "drop" the travel bug sitting on their end table into some remote, rarely visited cache, or a TB graveyard and then promptly forget about the bug...........