Magellan Gps Units

The Blind Acorn

I am on my 2nd Magellan Meridian (1st was green this one is Gold). I use a car charger, and when I take the GPS down off of the dash and unhook the charger the unit cuts off. I've heard this is a battery contact issue. Anyone else have similar problem?

I would just take it back to Best Buy under the warranty I bought, but my MapSend software won't upload maps then because it's registered by the Serial Number of the unit...

ANY SUGGESTIONS?????

I am on my 2nd Magellan Meridian (1st was green this one is Gold).  I use a car charger, and when I take the GPS down off of the dash and unhook the charger the unit cuts off.  I've heard this is a battery contact issue.  Anyone else have similar problem?

I would just take it back to Best Buy under the warranty I bought, but my MapSend software won't upload maps then because it's registered by the Serial Number of the unit...

ANY SUGGESTIONS?????

Your mapsend software is not registered by the unit. The software is on a CD which can't be written to.

When you upload a map region to your GPS that file gets stamped with your unit's id number and if you try to copy the file from one SD card to another SUPPOSEDLY it won't work, but numerous folks say it does.

Anyway, worst case scenario you remove the installation from your PC and reinstall.

I am kind of surprised you have had 2 units do the same thing. Are you sure you aren't doing something goofy? When I unplug mine from the car I get a warning that it has lost it's external power source, but that's it.

Are you sure your batteries aren't dead?

I am on my 2nd Magellan Meridian (1st was green this one is Gold). I use a car charger, and when I take the GPS down off of the dash and unhook the charger the unit cuts off. I've heard this is a battery contact issue. Anyone else have similar problem?

I have had my gold for two years and that has never hapen to mine

Before you take it back to Best Buy call Magellan.

Regarding the serieal number, When I got my Map Send direct route I called Magellan regarding the serial number. When you first load the software onto your GPS the software makes a note of the GPS serial number, once this is done you cannot use the Direct Route with another GPS. I found out the Hard way. I loaded a Map onto my Sport Track first, then I tried to load one onto my Meridian gold the next day and it screwed up the Meridian and I had to have Magellan reset it.

Magellan told me that if I had read the lawyer page on the software when I loaded it up I would have seen that.

When you down load a map you will see screen that displays the unit seriel number. While on this screen you can change that number to match the serial number of the other GPS you are using. I thinks is suppose to be a secret, so don't tell anyone. :)

My Garmin 60CS has a setting on it that when it loses external power it can stay on or turn itself off. Maybe that's something to look for on your Magellan? I have mine set to "Stay on" and it gives an audible beep when I disconnect it.

edit: I doubt it would be a battery contact issue if it happens only when you disconnect it from external power. You can always try putting a small piece of soft foam in the battery compartment to hold the batteries in there tightly but again, I doubt that's the issue. See if there's a menu setting in there for external power.

Hope that helps! :)

Edited by robert
I use a car charger, and when I take the GPS down off of the dash and unhook the charger the unit cuts off.

The 12v cable is not a charger. It sounds, from your description, that the batteries in the unit are simply dead.

(Jamie breaks his six-day forum break!)

Jamie

Sounds like the common battery contact problem (or dead batteries). I have the new Topo 3D software and it let me do maps for both of my plats. Rumor is it will let you map up to 4 units. I was under the impression that it was the same for all newer mapsend products. Check the FAQ on the meridian group at Yahoo...loads of good info there...