GPS recommendation

Guest rangertrek

Guest rangertrek

I'm new to geocaching and will be getting a GPS in a few days. Will be going to Colorado to visit friends and do a little hiking.

Good time to use the gps.

What model is best for a beginner?

I have access to Magellan 315/320 and etrex units.

Guest cache_ninja

i would say the etrex is more intuitive for a beginner, but the 315 is a better unit overall. i think the 320 just has more nautical waypoints so isnt really worth the extra money. i really like my 315, some people claim it has better accuracy/antenna than the etrex, i dunno, the manual/operation is probably a bit more complicated, but if you figured out how to use your computer to post to this forum, you could figure it out in a day or so. the averaging feature on the 315 is nice, and lacking on the etrex...both are good beginner units though, and very widely used by people geocaching etc.

c/n

[This message has been edited by cache_ninja (edited 02-20-2001).]

Agree with the 315, I bought it 2 days ago, and figured out most of the features without reading the manual! My only problem was that I did an 8 mile hike on Saturday, and I went to the ranger shack to go to the toilet, and when I came out, my routing was all screwed up, and the odometer was a few miles ahead..but I reset it and it worked ok.