"First to Find" etiquette

Brian,Lauren&Mom

quote:

Originally posted by Criminal:

NO! It is not customary to have FTF prizes, very few caches do. Actually, it is customary _not_ to have them.

Some people put these in as a way of rewarding the first finder, others do it as a way of getting people to visit an out-of-the-way cache.

Exactly....

From time to time we put a FTF Item because we are in the boondocks, icon_biggrin.gif but that is a rare situation.

I've only put one FTF prize in a cache. It was in a cache themed around a movie, with gift certificates...for a movie.

I think my next big cache is going to have something special in it, because it's going to be more difficult to solve than my last puzzle-type cache, and...giving anything else away might give some readers of the forums an edge. icon_smile.gif

The title alone will strike fear in the hearts of geocachers. icon_wink.gif

Brian

Team A.I.

quote:
The title alone will strike fear in the hearts of geocachers. icon_wink.gif

Brian

Team A.I.

C'mon, how scary can something that Scrat came up with be? icon_wink.gif

I like ot leave a little something for the FTF but it's by no means a requirement. It's fun to read the logs of cachers getting up at the break of dawn to beat each other out.

A FTF on many 9Key caches will get a one-of-a-kind key chain. The keychain is a clear plastic fob that has an exclusive design that matches the cache theme.

For example, this tag was claimed by Akulakat. People go buckwild for these things in the Dallas area.

Attached to the key ring is a brass tag with a unique identifier engraved on it. This ID will be used for something, someday. icon_confused.gif

I wish more caches had a FTF prize, especially caches that are extremely difficult. Its rewarding to have a token of your achievement.

texasgeocaching_sm.gifnm_button.gif

[This message was edited by 9Key on October 01, 2003 at 11:32 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by minister:

Is there any way to find the FTF Prize caches without looking through each new cache listing?

Nope. there's no special designation. The cache owner announces its presence on the page if they put such a prize in. That's it.

Ron/yumitori

---

Remember what the dormouse said...

quote:
Originally posted by Brian - Team A.I.:

I think my next big cache is going to have something special in it, because it's going to be more difficult to solve than my last puzzle-type cache, and...giving anything else away might give some readers of the forums an edge. icon_smile.gif

The title alone will strike fear in the hearts of geocachers.

Torture Brian, just plain torture.

quote:
I like ot leave a little something for the FTF but it's by no means a requirement. It's fun to read the logs of cachers getting up at the break of dawn to beat each other out.

Dawn? That late? We do midnight runs if Mike doesn't have to get up early the next day. We've been caching at 2 or 3 am.

No. Go right ahead.

quote:
Originally posted by Bloencustoms:

quote:
Originally posted by CacheMonkeez:

On some of my caches, I've honored the FTFer in the cache description.

On http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=91243 I named the cache after the FTFer.

What a great idea! Do you mind if I use it?

[This message was edited by Bloencustoms on March 32, 1999 at 25:60 PM]