Logging Requirements

briansnat

It seems to be increasingly popular for cache owners to require things of finders in addition to simply finding the cache and signing the logbook. In some cases you also have to provide a code word from inside the container. I've also seen where you must trade according to the theme in order to log online and other similarly ridiculious things. But this one takes the cake!

In order to log this cache you must dance The Funky Chicken all the way from the parking lot to the cache site.  To prove you've done this, either e-mail me with a clip of you doing so (AVI format only please)...OR...send me 2 notorized affadavits from witnesses attesting to the fact that you did this.  Only after I received verification will allow you to post a log.

*****NOTE 1/17/2005!!!!!!!!  Please be advised that The Funky Chicken and The Chicken Dance are not the same dance.  Future logs (as of today) accompanied by videos of the finder doing The Chicken Dance (or any dance other than The Funky Chicken) WILL BE DELETED!!!!!!******

I think the cache owner should supply a full version of the dance steps and the transcript of the lyrics (if any) for anyone that wishes to find this cache... better still they could provide a courtesy dance instructor at the carpark 24/7 so all seekers will have an opportunity to comply... by the way I have no idea what the funky chicken dance is.

Hmmmm.....

Heres another one I found.

Your mission, if you choose to accept it, is first go to the above coordinates. There you will find the coordinates to go to the final cache. When you find the cache, you MUST flap your arms like a chicken while turning around in circles 3 times. ---- You ARE being watched on security cameras. If you do not do the "Chicken Walk" I will delete your find. When you log in your find, put the time of day you are there. If you are in a group, the whole group must do the "Chicken Walk" at the same time. As always this message will not self destruct in 10 seconds. Have fun.

Oh Well! :D

If thats the way you guys feel about creative caches then I guess I'll just go ahead and scrap my idea for the Carman Miranda look-a-like Macarena Dance hide!! :D

;):D:D:D;) Just kidding!! :D:D

Yeah this one would definately be a DNF for this two left footed hoofer.

D-man B)

It seems to be increasingly popular for cache owners to require things of finders in addition to simply finding the cache and signing the logbook. In some cases you also have to provide a code word from inside the container. I've also seen where you must trade according to the theme in order to log online and other similarly ridiculious things. But this one takes the cake!

In order to log this cache you must dance The Funky Chicken all the way from the parking lot to the cache site.  To prove you've done this, either e-mail me with a clip of you doing so (AVI format only please)...OR...send me 2 notorized affadavits from witnesses attesting to the fact that you did this.  Only after I received verification will allow you to post a log.

*****NOTE 1/17/2005!!!!!!!!  Please be advised that The Funky Chicken and The Chicken Dance are not the same dance.  Future logs (as of today) accompanied by videos of the finder doing The Chicken Dance (or any dance other than The Funky Chicken) WILL BE DELETED!!!!!!******

18 responses, and still no link to an actual cache.

I'm not buying it. The phrase "cache you must dance" (from the first sentence of your "quote") has zero google hits.

In the hypothetical case that such a cache were approved in my area, I'd just ignore it, like everyone else.

I hope this isn't the direction this hobby is going.

Heh. This always comes off as an old fart comment. Unfortunately I tend to say it more and more nowadays.

My guess is this is a joke. or the kind of un-joke that is said at a party when someone says something funny but they're serious, so you sort of half-heartedly chuckle and you get real uncomfortable for a moment before you make an excuse to leave the conversation.

So no, I don't think that this would be a realistic direction the geocaching hobby in general will be going. But I can understand the concern.

i think it's very amusing. you can find it or not.

if you have to solve a puzzle, why not a little dance? once you leave the realm of the straightforward box, you've entered the land of "logging requirements".

i absolutely support the cache owner's right to place restrictions. i don't hafta hunt it.

if you have to solve a puzzle, why not a little dance? once you leave the realm of the straightforward box, you've entered the land of "logging requirements".

i absolutely support the cache owner's right to place restrictions. i don't hafta hunt it.

Absolutely. What he said.

Indeed, what's the problem folks? As long as it doesn't endanger folks or destroy the environment, then why get so excited? Why play cache police? Why spend time here lobbing judgementals against one particular cache? Waxing aghast on the benign requirements of but one of a gazillion caches with every flavor of puzzle and/or find requirements?

After all, it is only out of the gratuitous nature of cache hiders that this game exists at all. Thus if you don't happen to favor such a cache - or for that matter the requirements of ANY cache - then simply pass on it. Nobody's forcing you to do it.

In short - geez, how many times does it have to be repeated? - the very BEST part about this game is that everybody can play it anyway they like!

i think it's very amusing. you can find it or not.

Solving a puzzle in order to find a cache is totally different. If you dont figure it out then you probably wont be able to locate the cache or sign the log inside, thereby making it a NO find. Doing a dance has nothing to do with finding a cache.

Assuming for the moment that this cache, or an equally strange cache, exists. I would beg TPTB to create a "I will not look for this." or "Ignore" log note or some such that indicates you do not want this cache on PQ's. As this hobby/game grows, more and more of these types of caches are likely appear, taking up more and more of your precious 500 cache-limit on your PQ's. In short, it will be the end of caching as we know it today :) Even though I am joking here a little bit, and I don't really have any caches in my area I want to ignore, yet, I still would like an "Ignore this cache" log entry.

That being said, I will defend to my death the cache owner's right to create such a stu..., , uh..., original cache. B)

I still would like an "Ignore this cache" log entry.

exactly

or......a seperate category for stu.... errr..... different cache types of this nature

Said by someone who is most probably a lousy dancer :) .

ever since that incident in the 70's when I tried to boogie in some silk pants.......well, we won't say anymore of this