Geocaching

WxGuesser

I usually call it a hobby and equate it with other hobbies.  I have found that folks tend to give more serious thought and respect to it when you tell them you are "engaged in a hobby" rather than "playing a game."

I believe the semi-official moniker (at least in the forums) is recreational activity/sport/hobby (sometimes abbreviated RASH). Maybe Markwell can link the thread where that was debated.

I tell people that I am communicating with spaceships circling the planet. They are directing me to find hidden treasure. Most people just glance at the tin foil on my head and give me a knowing nod. :):blink::)

I usually refer to it as either a hobby or a sport. When I call it a "game" I usually get, "Well, I have more important things to do than play a game out in the woods".

I don't know, sometimes I feel silly as a grown man trying to describe what I do for fun to other grown folks without making it seem "childish", but so what, I like childish things!

If a muggle asks what I'm doing, I tell them I'm looking for my contact.

If they ask why I'm looking for my contact in a bush, I tell them I thought I saw a squirrle run in there with it.

If they ask how I saw the squirrle if I didn't have my contact in, I tell them to stop bothering me. :)

But seriously, download on of Cybrets things. They are really nice.

Is geocaching a game? An internet game?  How should I describe it when talking to "muggles"?

If you have to describe it to a muggle you are doing it wrong.

you didn't think i was going to let your silly response go un contested.... did you?? should i have said friends?? i was meaning non geocaching people in general... you know when they ask you what your hobby is... I'm sneaky enough that I don't have to explain it to.... pilfering muggles... :)