Magnets

In another forum, I don't remeber which, someone mentioned magnets from old computer hard drives. I have found a few hard drives, opened them and, lo and behold, a very strong magnet. The hardest part is finding old hard drives. I recently placed one of these magnets inside a Altoids container and it sticks very well to its metal mounting.

If you're looking for small, extremely powerful magnets, check out the Rare Earth magnets at Lee Valley Tools. The 1" x 1/8 inch will hold 30 lbs.  You don't even have to glue them to many cache containers. One magnet inside the container held in place with a little duct tape is enough to for it to stick.

I still epoxy them in place, just so nobody is tempted to use it as a trade item...

Lee Valley is where I get mine from.

Edited by The Cheeseheads

ebay is where i pick mine up. usually anyone selling them has a storefront somewhere, and quite a variety of shapes and sizes..

plus, they'll use ebay auctions as "loss leaders" which can end up being really good deals!

i'll try and post back with some usernames if i can find them, but any search for neodymium or even magnets should provide some good leads..

Ditto on the magnets from old hard drives - that's so interesting because we were just talking about this last week at work. Had several of them and our engineers pulled the magnets out - couldn't believe how strong they were. Held it right next to a metal desk drawer - it pulled it open.

Again, the only issue is finding old hard drives.

The magnets inside harddrives are rare earth magnets, and extremely strong. People give/throw old harddrives away everday, so they are basically free. Check ebay for old 1gig or less harddrives you can get them for free, just pay shipping.

Almost too strong. I get frequent complaints about a micro I have held in place with a HD magnet.

Yup, hard drive magnets are the best... Find those old dead drives and you are in magnet glory !!!

What are the dimensions of a HD magnet? I am familiar with rare eart magnets and have them from 1/4" to 1/2" sizes along with some rods. I am curious to know if the magnets in the HDs are significantly larger than these or comparable.

Thanks, Mt. Man. B)

Meanwhile... while looking at some of the more powerful rare earth magnets... an image occurred to my mind of some goofball buying one...

...putting it on some micro cache...

...putting the micro in their pocket for transport to cache site...

...right next to their wallet...

...with ATM cards inside the wallet. :blink::D

On a slightly related note:

I ordered a hundred SMALL rare earth magnets off ebay (for a whopping cost of ~$8), and recently epoxied some of them to a handful of film containers, creating magnetic micros. I know that one of these tiny (1/4" across) magnets easily suspends a film container - but I used to, or even 3, depending on where I epoxied them.

I tried on the bottom, externally as well as internally. I prepared a few with the magnets epoxied to the side of the container. I immediately realized that putting them in the lid was no good, because it flexes so much when the container is opened. What I failed to realize is how much the rest of the container apparently flexes.

Of the few I've recently deployed, I've already received feedback that the magnets are totally gone from one container, and another is down to a single magnet. Pretty darn high failure rate - and I'm assuming all of them will suffer this fate eventually. Yet I HAVE found magnetic film containers before, so...

My question is this: Is there an "optimal" adhesive for this task? I just used whatever epoxy I found in the kitchen drawer - in this case, some "quick-set" epoxy from LoTite. Unfortunately, this epoxy becomes fairly "brittle" when it hardens, so any flex of the container breaks it free. It doesn't help that plastic isn't exactly porous, so the epoxy doesn't bond with it that well to begin with.

Anyone got a suggestion as to the right adhesive for the job? Perhaps something that breaks down the plastic a bit more for improved bonding? I don't think cyanoacrylate (superglue) is right for the task, but... ?

On a related note: When I went to affix multiple magnets to a single container, the tendancy was for them to repel or attract to each other - which made it challenging. I s'pose if I positioned them one at a time, and then secured each with tape or something, it would alleviate this problem.

Just trying to get some feedback on what has, and hasn't worked for others. I've got a pretty good feel for the latter - so hoping for an improved solution.

Thanks!

Billy

(aka SnoWake)

My question is this:  Is there an "optimal" adhesive for this task? ....

Anyone got a suggestion as to the right adhesive for the job?  Perhaps something that breaks down the plastic a bit more for improved bonding?  I don't think cyanoacrylate (superglue) is right for the task, but... ?

I am constructing my first cache hide and have had great success with:

E-6000 : industrial strength adhesive from http://eclecticproducts.com

Going to try and obtain some of the UV resistant stuff for stuff exposed to the elements!

I am using it and testing it to attach a little ring to the inside of a rubbermaid container to hold a chain for a stamp for a letter box hybrid! I ruffed up both of the joining surfaces and then applied the stuff. After letting it dry for over 24 hours I am subjecting it to an extended outdoor test here in Colorado (below freezing-fluctuating-up to sunny 60+ degrees), still holding, flexible and standing up!

I used epoxy in my first tries with Travel Bug tags and it's pretty much useless for non-pourus materials and rough handling and temp variations. CA (superglue) is good for small repairs and plastic modeling but I can't see it holding up well either.

Maybe the urethane based adhesive - ProBond (think from Elmer) glue, Gorilla glue?

But am interested in what other people use...

Edited by MRCOGEO

As many folks have mentioned hard drives are a good source of cheap magnets. There are usually 3. Two are fixed on the body of the casing, the third is on the base of actuator that drives the heads. That one is usually weaker and is incased in plastic.

As for affixing magnets to film containers. How about epoxying them on the INSIDE BOTTOM of the film container. You loose a little storage space, but at least the epoxy will not suffer the wear and tear at bending that goes on the lid.

As far as glue goes. If you use compounds similiar to superglue, you will need to be very careful about how much to apply. You'll have to play around with what ever mixture works best for you.

Certain magnetic findings for the backs of nametags work well. They're rare earth so they're pretty strong.

strong1b.jpg

You can pop them apart and use the individual magnets glued to the end of a Bison capsule or inside a film can. Glue the whole thing to the inside of the lid of decon container or epoxy to the lid of a plastic jar.

With HD magnets you can pop the magnet off the metal mount, too, if you want. You can even carefully--they are brittle and little pieces can go flying--break them up for smaller projects.

Just be careful, AFAIK, all rare earth magnets will rust. I'm sure there are some that won't but the ones that were designed to never see the elements most likely will. Make sure you protect them.

Of the few I've recently deployed, I've already received feedback that the magnets are totally gone from one container, and another is down to a single magnet.  Pretty darn high failure rate -

My question is this:  Is there an "optimal" adhesive for this task? 

I use an adhesive called Goop. It takes a while to dry but remains flexible and sticks like crazy. Scuff up the film container with some sandpaper where you will be gluing the magnets. Let the Goop dry for a few days before deploying the container.