Cache Approver

When a new reviewer is needed Groundspeak chooses a cacher who is active in their local caching group, someone with good communications skills, and silly enough to accept a Volunteer job where they get yelled at by their fellow cachers.

Thats my line!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When a new reviewer is needed Groundspeak chooses a cacher who is active in their local caching group, someone with good communications skills, and silly enough to accept a Volunteer job where they get yelled at by their fellow cachers.

How can that be, when the aprovers in my area show only a few caches under their belts?

1signature2zl.jpg

Sock puppet approver accounts?

How can that be, when the aprovers in my area show only a few caches under their belts?

1signature2zl.jpg

IV Warrior is correct. Many reviewers use a special account for their volunteer duties. This way, we can still "be ourselves" when out caching or reading the forums.

Finds are posted under my player account which I prefer not to name at this time.

I'm retired and, like many others, have thought it might be interesting to take on the responsibilities of volunteer reviewer. But if it's by invitation only then there isn't much sense in giving it serious consideration until the invitation arrives.

So, treasure_hunter, be patient, remain active, and maybe one of these days you'll get that notice that says, "I Want You". It will not be the one with Uncle Sam's picture on it. :)

How can you become a cache approver volunteer?

I bet a good start would be showing you know how to search and research info on your own, rather then post 100 new topics in forums.

I would bet if you posted a new thread every time a new cache came through, asking if you should approve it, you wouldn't last long.

How can you become a cache approver volunteer?

I bet a good start would be showing you know how to search and research info on your own, rather then post 100 new topics in forums.

I would bet if you posted a new thread every time a new cache came through, asking if you should approve it, you wouldn't last long.

This is good advice. I think also, there may be an age requirement. I'm not sure an 8th grader would be the best choice. :):)

Why is membership in a local group a requirement to be an approver? If anything, I would think someone who is not a member of any group, but who has considerable experience doing a variety of caches (not just numbers), who can show research skills and people skills, would be a better choice. If reviewers come only from the ranks of local group members, there is a significant chance of favoritism, inadvertent or otherwise, resulting from familiarity, or on the other hand, "paybacks" if someone gets on the wrong side of the club's politics. I'm not saying that membership in a local club should be a disquailifier, or would definitely result in what I mentioned in the previous sentence, but I don't think it should be a qualifying factor, either.

Why is membership in a local group a requirement to be an approver?

Its not a requirement. There are many approvers who are not members of any geocaching groups. But because local geocaching groups are often experienced in dealing with local authorities and land managers it makes sense that approvers are frequently selected from among those active in these organizations.

Edited by briansnat

I posted the following quote awhile back in response to this question. If you follow the link there, and more so, the links within it, you will find quite a bit of info. I apologize for not stating more here. It is just that I think it is better to point out the links than to re-invent the wheel and write a ton on it when others have covered it pretty well through all those links.

Information on how reviewers are appointed can be found in this thread. There are links in there to more detailed threads. I figured I would just provide a link instead of attempting to repeat all the information that can be gained from reading that thread and the threads it links to.
Edited by Electric Mouse

Respect: Respect the guidelines for forum usage, and site usage. Respect Groundspeak, its employees, volunteers, yourself, fellow community members, and guests on these boards. Whether a community member has one post or 5,000 posts, they deserve the same respect.

Foul Language and obscene images will not be tolerated. This site is family friendly, and all posts and posters must respect the integrity of the site.

Personal Attacks and Flames will not be tolerated. If you want to praise or criticize, give examples as to why it is good or bad, general attacks on a person or idea will not be tolerated.

Respect: Respect the guidelines for forum usage, and site usage. Respect Groundspeak, its employees, volunteers, yourself, fellow community members, and guests on these boards. Whether a community member has one post or 5,000 posts, they deserve the same respect.

Foul Language and obscene images will not be tolerated. This site is family friendly, and all posts and posters must respect the integrity of the site.

Personal Attacks and Flames will not be tolerated. If you want to praise or criticize, give examples as to why it is good or bad, general attacks on a person or idea will not be tolerated.

???

Edited by Durango!

???

It's just a general notice, I thnik. Not always directed at the last poster. Sometimes a thread heats up a bit too much, and a gentle reminder is issued.

The question of how one becomes a volunteer reviewer is one of personal interest to me. Frequently, I participate in threads on that topic. When I open this thread, I expect to see helpful information and probably a few one-liners.

Now it's political salvos and whining about forum moderation. Yawn.

If the question's been answered to his satisfaction, perhaps the original poster would consider closing the topic. If not, then perhaps he could ask any follow up questions and I'd be glad to assist.