Arcview 3.3

njload

It's expensive and definitely has a learning curve. It might help if you could reply and explain why you need such sophisticated software. If you just want to view GIS data, ArcExplorer is a free and much simpler option. If you want to use shapefiles, you might consider OziExplorer. There is a 30 day ArcView demo available from ESRI via snail mail.

Rich Owings

www.MakeYourOwnMaps.com

It's expensive and definitely has a learning curve. It might help if you could reply and explain why you need such sophisticated software. If you just want to view GIS data, ArcExplorer is a free and much simpler option.

I agree with Redwoods. I'm a GIS/GPS technician and work with ArcView 3.3 and ArcGIS9 every day. It is a fine GIS software program and is used by the GIS professional. If you want to work with shapefiles by exporting/importing waypoint or track files with a Garmin GPSr, try this freebie 3rd party ArcView extension: DNRGarmin

It is intended as an ArcView extension, but is also a stand alone program. I use it by itself to manage GPS waypoint/track files to bring into GIS. It is great when wanting to export database files (.xls, .csv, .dbf) for various reasons.

Good luck, and explain just what is it you want to do. Some of us can probably give more advice.

If you want a basic GIS program for home use, try QGIS. Its pretty good and Based on GRASS, which is the another GIS package that is older than ArcView, but pretty tough to learn.

And yes, I too have used ArcView, and imported points from GPS units.

I'd just like to mention that QGIS isn't really based on GRASS - it has an input module for GRASS data and an UI for some of the analytical tools in GRASS, but you don't need GRASS to use QGIS. If you build it from source yourself you can even turn the GRASS modules off altogether if you don't have GRASS installed.

I use it with shapefiles, GPX files, and all sorts of raster maps.

http://qgis.org (it's free)