Geocache-ettiquette

used2jeep

Travel Bugs are not usually considered to be take-something-leave-something items, except, as pointed out, in the case of some TB Hotels which specifically require it.

Not to be splitting hairs too finely, but if I spend $5 for the TB tag and go turn it loose and it ends up in someone's TB hotel, particularly if it doesn't get many visitors you have my permission to remove it and move it along regardless of whether you leave one behind or not.

Travel Bugs are not usually considered to be take-something-leave-something items, except, as pointed out, in the case of some TB Hotels which specifically require it.

Not to be splitting hairs too finely, but if I spend $5 for the TB tag and go turn it loose and it ends up in someone's TB hotel, particularly if it doesn't get many visitors you have my permission to remove it and move it along regardless of whether you leave one behind or not.

Yeah - if it was my TB stuck in a hotel, I have to say I'd agree with this.

But this does raise kind of an interesting philosophical question: Do the 'rights' of the TB owner trump the rules of a cache?

In other words, if the stated mission of a particular TB is to keep moving, and the TB ends up in a TB hotel cache which has the rule that you must leave a bug if you take a bug, can somebody without a bug to trade ethically grab the TB? Should they specifically violate the cache requirements in order to help the bug along?

As a TB owner, I'd say keep my bug moving regardless of what the cache rules are. As a cache owner, I'd say please obey the rules as I posted them.

I dunno. But clearly I've spent too much time thinking about this. <_<

But this does raise kind of an interesting philosophical question: Do the 'rights' of the TB owner trump the rules of a cache?

As a TB owner, I'd say keep my bug moving regardless of what the cache rules are.

Keep those TB's rollin'....I agree. If I invest in one, it's so I can vicariously live the adventure of travelling place to place. You can't live vicariously in a hotel...unless you're Leo DiCaprio in "Catch Me If You Can". <_<

In my opinion no.

If somebody wants to set up a TB hotel that is fine, but here is how I view things.

Rights come with responsibilities. No responsibility? Fine, no rights.

So someone sets up a TB hotel. What are their rights, what are their responsibilities?

They have no rights because they accept no responsibility.

The person who pays $5 for the tag and whatever for the bug and then releases it has rights to the TB, not the person who puts an ammo can in the woods.

If 10 TBs are in a hotel thats $50 for tags plus the item they are attached 2 plus 10 people watching for movement. What did the TB hotel operator invest?

If a TB hotel operator wants to insist upon rules then that person needs to put their own TBs into the hotel and the rules apply only to their TBs.

Nobody has the right to make rules that govern my TB.

Travel bugs are meant to travel and there is no need to trade for them, TB hotels be damned.

Thanks for the great discussion here - I've been enlightened. I've always felt bad about taking a TB when I didn't have one to leave, so I end up leaving a nice trade item instead.

Even though we have 5 TB's out there, I guess I just hadn't sat down and thought about it much. But as a TB owner, I do have the same philosophy... just move the bug!!

I feel so liberated! Now what will I talk about with my therapist? :D

I feel so liberated! Now what will I talk about with my therapist? ;)

Your new addiction? Surely your therapist will think there's something wrong with you if you tell him you use a $100+ reciever, getting signals from a billion-dollar satellite network to search for tupperware containers full of McJunk in the woods. :D;)