Looking For Victims...

Touchstone

I'm pretty sure of making it to the upcoming BADGES Dinner in Cupertino on the 27th, and was going to see if there was any interest in forming an assualt team for Trifecta up in the Mission Peak Preserve before the dinner.

I was hoping to do it the way Lil Devil and Jeremy did it (with a car shuttle), to maximize the mileage and minimize the backtracking (and to snag all the caches along the route of course).

Feel free to contact me through my profile, or post intents here.

Oh yeah, and if anyone has WalruZ's cell phone in case I need a life line, go ahead and email that to me too :huh: .

P.S. I would also entertain any plans to drive back up to the park after the dinner to snag Touch The Twilight Night Cache if anyone was interested :blink:

(edited for embarrasing navigational error <_< )

Edited by Touchstone

I'm still planning on doing the Mission peak marathon on the 27th, and will meet any other willing bodies at the Stanford Trailhead. I may be able to arrange the requisite drop-off at Ed Levin if the group is small enough. I'm thinking about 8am, but could be flexible to start earlier...

The recommended cache order is: Second Hand Rose, Milpitas is going to the dogs, Lechuck's Medusean Treasure, Silicon Valley view, Hawk's Picnic, Monument Peak (Trifecta clue), Groovy Rock Pile (and another Trifecta clue), Hello Allison, Man on a Mission, Trifecta, Spawning Ground, Inca Gold Fifth Son, Inca Gold Lost Words, Why?, Inca Gold Stairway to the Sky, Inca Gold Necklace of Tears, Inca Gold atahualpa, Eucalyptusstream.

That's 19, by my count, without unknown cache types. There may be more, including grabbing the Inca Gold final after visiting each for the clues. I'm following WalruZ' suggestion for hike order for planning purposes.

Looks like I'll still have to be the 28th :( . Would love to go with BD, Walruz and the crew, but with just over 3 months at a new job, I don't exactly have lots of leverage in the favors category (yet).

Looks like we'll double the find count on Trifecta with this many people going over a period of two days :mad:

I'm still planning on doing the Mission peak marathon on the 27th, and will meet any other willing bodies at the Stanford Trailhead. I may be able to arrange the requisite drop-off at Ed Levin if the group is small enough. I'm thinking about 8am, but could be flexible to start earlier...

The recommended cache order is: Second Hand Rose, Milpitas is going to the dogs, Lechuck's Medusean Treasure, Silicon Valley view, Hawk's Picnic, Monument Peak (Trifecta clue), Groovy Rock Pile (and another Trifecta clue), Hello Allison, Man on a Mission, Trifecta, Spawning Ground, Inca Gold Fifth Son, Inca Gold Lost Words, Why?, Inca Gold Stairway to the Sky, Inca Gold Necklace of Tears, Inca Gold atahualpa, Eucalyptusstream.

That's 19, by my count, without unknown cache types. There may be more, including grabbing the Inca Gold final after visiting each for the clues. I'm following WalruZ' suggestion for hike order for planning purposes.

Any idea about how long of the day this will take? I just happen to be planning on being in San Jose that weekend.... but can't get too late of a start towards coming back to the central valley.

Is this hike still doable with muddy trails?

Yes, those trails are graveled to varying degrees. A poncho wouldn't be a bad idea - I always take one of the $1.00 ones. Sunday is supposed to be nice, according to channel 2 news.

Weather forecasts that far in advance aren't very accurate. :rolleyes:

--Marky

Slower group? I don't get it -- do you mean people that start their mornings slower -- e.g. starting the hike later, or slower hikers that need to start earlier?

I just suggested the start time as a way to get organized. If you've got particular constraints, let me know and we'll plan around them. I'm not necessarily a fast hiker, nor am I slow. Actually, my speed tends to depend on how the prior the work week went and who I'm hiking with. I'm typically quite flexible in the rate I use get up hills...

Weather.com lists a 40% chance of showers. If its just sprinkling, I'm going (with a rain poncho packed) anyway. If its full-on raining, I'm likely to opt out.

As of this morning (the 19th) the Weather Channel site is saying scattered showers and a 30%

chance of rain.

I'd love to try this 'marathon', but was wondering if a slower group was forming up.

I'm lucky if I can get a 72 hr forecast from my wife! Who are you guys useing :huh:

I'm pretty slow :laughing: , but it'll have to be Monday for me. I'm there rain or shine. I even went on a training cache today:

Shake Your Bootie

I'm still drying out my so-called breathable goretex jacket :o

According to weather.com, San Jose is scheduled for showers on Sunday, precip: 40%. I'm keeping my eye on this, as I've seen this sort of forecast only produce a random sprinkle. If you're still planning on meeting up Sunday morning, speak up so we can arrange a more instant method of contact...

Hi, sorry just noticed this thread:

My father(69yrs old) and I did the hike on Thursday and left three new caches up there.

We started at 9 from Levin and got back to Stanford at 6:15. We were going quite slow on the way down since my Dad's feet were in bad shape so faster hikers would shave some time off of that. We used plenty of moleskin on him and bring some extra socks. 72ozs of water was more than enough for one person and there is water near mission peak if necessary.

We skipped Hawk's and Ain't no water(we missed the turnoff just after Silicon Valley View, expert gps showed it a ways up the trail) and Horse Heaven, I think we got all of the others along the way. The trails were a little muddy and slippery at the beginning of the levin side(my dad slipped and fell), so I'd recommend a staff or stick, but cleaned up near LeChuck's and they were fine elsewhere.

We were in thick clouds from Silicon Valley View to my new Backside of Mission peak cache so we unfortunately had no views to speak of and actually got very easily disoriented in the thick fog(clouds) with only 30 feet visibility sometimes, very nice to have a gps in those situations. I would make a good topo map with a route marked on it as the trail maps leave something to be desired. At least for me in the clouds.

I would postpone any hike that puts you up in the clouds since you'll miss out on the views which I regret now(of course on Friday it was nice and clear up there). I personally wouldn't hike it in any chance of rain unless you have good wet weather gear, it is much colder up on top and the wind can really kick up up there. Much better to save this fantastic epic for a guaranteed clear day.

If you go, please grab the Buzz off bug out of Trifecta so it doesn't get stuck up there for too long, it would like some pictures of it with some wildflowers as well. There are nice ones on the way up but not on top.

Have fun! We certainly did.

Feel free to email if anyone has any questions.

Same time, same channel for 2/28. Getting an early start in order to take into account the slippery terrain (I think we should get an extra star for that).

So far it's Martian Rabbit and I. And being the nice guy I am, I'll even let any others participants fight over the three FTF's with Martian Rabbit :huh: . (- oops, I stand corrected: there's only one left now)

Congrats to BD and W :o

Edited by Touchstone