Is It Just Me,

sept1c_tank

One (three) of the most amazing things I’ve ever seen are right in my own caching area.

There is this cache, sort of way out in the woods, near a tree with a rock in it. The rock is huge (a boulder) and it is 30 or 40 ft. up.

I discovered the cache back in Aug. 2003 when I first started geocaching.

But that’s not all. A few hundred feet from that tree is another, likewise with a boulder way up in it.

But that’s not all. Four miles away is another, even larger tree with the biggest ever boulder way up in it. (There’s a cache there, too.) For more information and photos see Today's Cacher.

Is it just me, or is this really unusual? <_<

(I just visited the Gobbler’s Rock tonight for the first time. You really have to be there to appreciate this. The boulder must weigh more than 400 lbs. How, is the obvious question, but why? Why?) :huh::blink:

Whooooaaahhhh... deja vu! I just read a thread on this very topic and for teh life of me I can't remember where I saw it. Was it in Todays Cacher? Weird...

Anyway, part of me wants to say it grew up that way... but that makes no sense - trees start out as saplings. Gotta be somebodys odd idea of a practical joke, but I'd love to know how it was done without (A) damaging the tree and (:blink: damaging/leaving evidence elsewhere (other trees,etc.)

Magic bullet theory: A forest fire, rocks got very very hot. Helicopter dumped water on the area, hitting rock. Heat differential causes rock to a'splode, sending a chunk or two in the air and fortuitously landing in trees. Repeat 4 miles away... <_<

I have seen simular things with stuff wedged in trees in floods in the Kimberlys and then the tree growing around them over the years. The only time I have seen rocks up in trees is where a tree grew close to a cliff and around some of the rock face, I don't know what the topography is like there but it's deffinately wierd that it's a 'common' <_< occurance there, from the sound of it there has been some assistance there but how cool!

I have seen simular things with stuff wedged in trees in floods in the Kimberlys and then the tree growing around them over the years. The only time I have seen rocks up in trees is where a tree grew close to a cliff and around some of the rock face, I don't know what the topography is like there but it's deffinately wierd that it's a 'common' <_< occurance there, from the sound of it there has been some assistance there but how cool!

Here's a neat pic, where the growing tree 'absorbed' an iron fence. Not the same thing as the URBs, but cool anyway.

tree at the fencepost

Is it just me or is this an ad for Todays Cacher? :blink:

Actually, it is a heartfelt question. :(<_<

Who's heart are you feeling? It certainly isn't your own :bad:

I guess that's be mine. (Siince I wrote the article for TC) Sept1cTank, you can feel my heart any time you like! :huh::P:(

Hey hey hey,

There will be none of that, here!

Actually, it's pretty neat!

SF1

Anyway, part of me wants to say it grew up that way... but that makes no sense - trees start out as saplings. Gotta be somebodys odd idea of a practical joke, but I'd love to know how it was done without (A) damaging the tree and (<_< damaging/leaving evidence elsewhere (other trees,etc.)

Gee, do you think that, maybe, just maybe, since this cache IS in the state of Indiana that they might have been put there by (gasp!) a tornado? Hmmm? We may never know.........

Tornados are one of the scenarios, certainly, and the one that makes the most sense, except:

What are the odds of a tornado (or two or three) dropping boulders in 2 mature sycamore trees 100 yards apart on the same creek bed, and then a third boulder 4.4 miles away? Astrofrigginnomical!! That's why the tornado theory is hard to swallow, though we in Indiana have seen twisters do some bizarre things, to be sure.

I trying to learn more about the boulders in the trees, I searched the net and talked with 2 Yellowwood Park Rangers. The theories are listed in the article. If you Google 'Gobbler's Rock', you'll find a few more articles about them.

without (A) damaging the tree and (<_< damaging/leaving evidence elsewhere (other trees,etc.)

Gee, do you think that, maybe, just maybe, since this cache IS in the state of Indiana that they might have been put there by (gasp!) a tornado? Hmmm? We may never know.........

And if it were tornadoes there would be tree damage in the area, and there's not.

Actually, at Gobbler's Rock, there is quite a bit of downfall. I was there last night and it does appear that it (the downfall) could have been caused by a tornado. But the damage is much more recent than the rock's appearance (around 1990).

I can't accept the tornado theory; tornados move very large, heavy objects like automobiles, buildings and (cows) other things with reasonable wind resistance, but not 400 lb. boulders.

And none of the trees are next to cliffs.

I'm convinced the rocks were put there by humans. Blasting is a possibility, but I have seen no evidence of any major earth moving in the area and I'm not aware of any earlier mining or construction projects.

I subscribe to the theory that a club, or a fraternity (Indiana University is nearby) is responsible for the rocks. If the rocks were easily viewable from a major highway or a popular trail, this would make more sense. So the motive for putting the boulders in the trees is unclear. You would think anyone going to all that trouble would have done it where their labors could be easily seen.

I reiterate; why would someone do this? And I'm really curious if any other boulders-in-a-tree exist anyplace else in the world. I suppose instead of a club, it could be some kind of conspiracy. :blink:<_<

Anyway, part of me wants to say it grew up that way... but that makes no sense - trees start out as saplings. Gotta be somebodys odd idea of a practical joke, but I'd love to know how it was done without (A) damaging the tree and (<_< damaging/leaving evidence elsewhere (other trees,etc.)

It couldn't have grown up that way, trees grow from the top up, so a rock, or anything for that matter, placed in a tree will stay the same distance from the ground forever (until the tree falls). This is why surveyors sometimes nail benchmarks to tree trunks. While, over the years, the tree may grow OUT, the benchmark will never grow UP.

Anyway, part of me wants to say it grew up that way... but that makes no sense - trees start out as saplings.  Gotta be somebodys odd idea of a practical joke, but I'd love to know how it was done without (A) damaging the tree and (:o damaging/leaving evidence elsewhere (other trees,etc.)

It couldn't have grown up that way, trees grow from the top up, so a rock, or anything for that matter, placed in a tree will stay the same distance from the ground forever (until the tree falls). This is why surveyors sometimes nail benchmarks to tree trunks. While, over the years, the tree may grow OUT, the benchmark will never grow UP.

Alternatively... a sapling would never be able to lift a 400+lb rock in the first place. <_<

Chances are it was somebodies idea to get them up there somehow. There are probably a bunch more all over the area that have yet to be discovered. What I would like to know is do the people in indiana always look at the sky while hiking <_<

How would one ever even notice something like that!!

Edited by Team Shibby

I Think Bigfoot did it

he and his pals using a heilcopter equipped with there stealth technolgy picked the boulder up and put it in the trees for us to think how in the world did they get up there

but yup i got there number using all of the spaceships to make us think that are real aleins ha ha ha :)

letting there teensscare the crap out of us by running out in plain veiw with there invis mode turned of if ever see one boom lights out sasquatch :huh:

NO I am not crazy :anitongue: because I beleive that sasquatch is a highly advance civilaztion :(:tired: