Valuable Cache Items

k_statealan

Not counting any coins or currency, of course that has value. Anything anybody found that is really worth something?

As for myself, I picked up a package of football cards in one a couple weeks ago. When I got home and opened it, the first card I saw was a Brett Favre rookie (still with the Falcons). :rolleyes: Not entirely sure what its worth, but I'm sure its probably more valuable than 99% of the other stuff that's left in caches.

That's a cool card! I love getting a new pack of sports-cards (although I don't to it very often). I would kick myself if I put the cards in the cache then read a log about a card like that.

The best I've found was a really nice compass that is now my geocaching compass.

There is a cache not too far from where I live, Little Brown Boxes - Gizmos That is packed full of electronic goodies that the hider had laying around his house. While I didn't trade anything (didn't have anything good enough to trade up!), I did notice a pocket recorder, electronic dictionary (I think) or maybe an organizer, etc...but the best thing: a Game Boy Pocket complete with game! That was prbably the best item I've seen in a cache.

I was FTF (my only one, BTW) at a very cool cache called Potanipo Lake Lighthouse. One of the items in it was a cool lighthouse about 4-5 inches high with a little light inside. I thought that was a nice touch, given the cache theme. Very classy. Dunno how much it is 'worth' in terms of cost to the hider, but it was worth something to me, an excellent reminder of the cache, a lot of thought put into it.

I don't really care about the value of a trade item, indeed, I'd feel a bit awkward if I found a solid gold golf ball, and nothng of equal value to trade. If it were a dirty solid gold golf ball, I'd feel better, but still...

/I stink at trying to say what I am trying to say. Know what I mean, Vern?

We put out a cache, Scratch And Lose .

The FTF was a single $5.00 Lottery scratch ticket.

The cache still has five single Lottery scratch tickets in it. We only ask that you bring a ticket to trade, up to five tickets can be traded.

But sadly the FTF Cacher loged this:

January 24 by wtwalden (170 found)

FTF for me. Too bad the FTF prize was just as the name says. I scratched and lost. No prizes won. Godd cache. Good hiding job. This is an ideal spot for a walk.

Don't know how it would of felt if he he hit the $500k?

1signature2zl.jpg

Perhaps the title should be "Have you ever SEEN anything valuable in a cache?"

Then, I'd wonder how many people would answer "Yes, the _____ which I left."

Rather than "What did you GET?", how about "What did you LEAVE?". <_< If you don't leave anything valuable, nobody else is going to find anything either.

I've left $10 embossed "coins"/medallions at caches that I found truly enjoyable, for one reason or another. I have read future logs where they had been exchanged out for McToys. Whatever. Not the reason why I left them. Won't keep me from leaving them in future caches that are "above the norm"...

I found a cache that was stocked so well with expensive things that I had to sign a TNLN as I had nothing on me that could compare to the least expensive item! Wish I had known beforehand, and I suggested people bring some good stuff in my log entry.

So, they are out there. Try a difficult puzzle cache. The people who do these tend to be of a higher-calibre, non-McToy type of cacher. Enjoy!!

Well kinda on the finding while searching.

I was lloking for the pierce City cache that got taken by the Tornado 5-4-03.

While searching for ot I found a bunch of coins(Strawberry Coins).

These were the pay in the Good Old Days now priceless,I have shared quite a few in caches.

I also,for helping the Antique Museum that was right next to the cache but destroyed,Had 5000 sq. ft. of cache treasures that were given to me.

Most of the useable went to Habitat for Humanity.

I wound up with 3 cases of OLD Baseball cards.....this story has me thinking maybe these would be good first finder goodies.

What do ya think??

I am not much a fanatic but I have not seen some of these cards or players for a looooooooooooooong time.

Anyway maybe coming to a cache near you soon.

There were tons of trinkets that had made it throught the disaster and most of which I have shared with the geocaching community.

I was also given 2 nice cache containers that everyone seems to love,one is in Pierce City Mo. (Howdy Neighbor)and the other is in Cassville Mo.(Habitat).

Early on, I found a digital pedometer that I still use today while caching. Kinda cool.

I have a cache that I placed a walkman am/fm radio in it. After 2 years, it's still there. The cache doesn't get alot of visiters (12 or 13 since hiding), since it's a bit of a hike (not too long, but a little tough), but I still didn't think the radio would last as long as it has.

I use a hydro-pack for the longer hikes, but a fanny pack for shorter ones. I got a carabiner with a built-in compass from a cache once that I have clipped to my fanny pack. Not too expensive, but pretty accurate and handy.

My brother, Singer202, found some fancy watch that sells on ebay for anywhere from $500 to $1400 used. It had a dead battery. It was in a cache in Rochester, NY in a plastic bag.

He made every effort to find the owner, assuming it was a found watch that someone put in the cache as a courtesy. After being unable to find an owner for it, he concluded that it was an eccentric trade item. He found a battery for it instead.

I found a very nice leatherman tool in the 7th cache I found. It was called Loundoun Heights cache. This is not the best thing I have found yet, but it was pretty good. There is some nice stuff out there in caches. I know I try to leave good trade items whenever I find a cache.

We were out caching as a family for a change (2 girls in college, now), all 4 kids, mom and dad. We went to "For miles and miles" at the lake outside town, and found a GAP gift card. The value still one it was for $100. I read the logbook but don't remember any more who left it. They didn't log it online, either. Several people had been there between it being left and our family finding it. We went shopping that evening! Thanks to the generous benefactor for that one!

Malia

At a cache I babysit, I found logs by some muggles, and what I think is the "surprise" mentioned

here's the log I posted with the text of what the muggles wrote in the logbook

The log

The only thing in the cache that I could guess was "the surprise", a gold bracelet with 16 saphires and 15 diamonds (one's missing). It's not top quality but it's nice anyway.

The first three times I saw it I tossed it in the pile with all the other swag, assuming it was just some costume jewelry. Then one day I was giving the cache a serious overhaul, and as I was rubbing off some of the accumulation of whatever (seaspray, salt air, etc.), I noticed that it had a double safety clasp, and didn't think there would be such a clasp on junk jewelry, so that's when I took a good hard look at it.

The best thing I left was a Leatherman that I found on the street, and at a 4.5 difficulty cache, $10.00 and a Cross pen. I need to go back and retrieve that one, because nobody else has gotten it, including the owner. here's that cache

Worst Nightmare

I saw this log @ ojo del toro by tagsam, from JohnnyVegas

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...&log=y&decrypt=

July 10, 2004 by JohnnyVegas (844 found)

Looked all over with Eel boy, no find. I did lose my wallet though, Reward is offerd $25.00. I already killed all the plastic but I would like to get the wallet back. it could also be by home run cache.

July 10, 2004 by forman (838 found)

HEY!!!!!!!!!! I GET 25 BUCKS!!!!!! THAT'S ALMOST BETTER THAN A FTF!!!!

WHERE'S JOHNNY?

Don & Donna

I saw this log @ ojo del toro by tagsam, from JohnnyVegas

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...&log=y&decrypt=

July 10, 2004 by JohnnyVegas (844 found)

Looked all over with Eel boy, no find. I did lose my wallet though, Reward is offerd $25.00. I already killed all the plastic but I would like to get the wallet back. it could also be by home run cache.

July 10, 2004 by forman (838 found)

HEY!!!!!!!!!! I GET 25 BUCKS!!!!!! THAT'S ALMOST BETTER THAN A FTF!!!!

WHERE'S JOHNNY?

Don & Donna

I new Forman would find it. Thats what I get for trying to get a FTF in his home turf :D

We put out a cache, Scratch And Lose .

The FTF was a single $5.00 Lottery scratch ticket.

The cache still has five single Lottery scratch tickets in it. We only ask that you bring a ticket to trade, up to five tickets can be traded.

But sadly the FTF Cacher loged this:

January 24 by wtwalden (170 found)

FTF for me. Too bad the FTF prize was just as the name says. I scratched and lost. No prizes won. Godd cache. Good hiding job. This is an ideal spot for a walk.

Don't know how it would of felt if he he hit the $500k?

1signature2zl.jpg

At least he SAID it was a losing scratcher ticket...for all you know, he could have logged his find from his new Hawiian beach house!! :laughing:

Ed

How about $830,000 in each of 12 stashes? And no, I am not kidding. This is a real deal designed to promote a book. All the clues are published and no one has found any since Nov 04. They are all still out there.

I propose a group hunt. I mean think of what the combined intellect of a whole bunch of people already experienced in finding caches from clues could do.......

Interested? See this thread...... ( I get a 10 per cent finders fee )

Forum Link to Thread

Edited by Crusso
At a cache I babysit, I found logs by some muggles, and what I think is the "surprise" mentioned

here's the log I posted with the text of what the muggles wrote in the logbook

The log

The only thing in the cache that I could guess was "the surprise", a gold bracelet with 16 saphires and 15 diamonds (one's missing). It's not top quality but it's nice anyway.

The first three times I saw it I tossed it in the pile with all the other swag, assuming it was just some costume jewelry. Then one day I was giving the cache a serious overhaul, and as I was rubbing off some of the accumulation of whatever (seaspray, salt air, etc.), I noticed that it had a double safety clasp, and didn't think there would be such a clasp on junk jewelry, so that's when I took a good hard look at it.

The best thing I left was a Leatherman that I found on the street, and at a 4.5 difficulty cache, $10.00 and a Cross pen. I need to go back and retrieve that one, because nobody else has gotten it, including the owner. here's that cache

Worst Nightmare

Please DO read those logs. This is exactly why I don't think we should call them "muggles" any more...

My husband and I are avid gem collectors so as a sort of signature item we leave our calling card, with a little zip lock bag taped to it with a gem in it. It's usually a ruby or sapphire worth $5 to $10 each. But when we put ones out, we usually leave a better quality (around a $20) gem inside each of our caches we put out.

As for the treasure hunt... I'm on the hunt to get me one of those books now!!! LOL