Gsak - A Certain Filter Is Causing It To Crash

I just ran into a situation that causes GSAK to crash 9 out of 10 times.

I have a database that currently contains 4440 records. I ran a Filter that only did two things:

1. General/Distance was set to "Less than or equal to" 33 miles

2. A Polygon was set, with the Exclude box checked. There were 8 sets of coordinates listed - and the first and last was the same.

When I clicked the Go button on the Filter Dialog Box, GSAK correctly ran the filter - but the dialog box did not go away. I couldn't change tabs, although I could still click some of the items. None of them made the dialog box dissappear, however - not even the Cancel button.

If I clicked to another application, and went back to GSAK - the dialog box would be "behind" the main app screen, so I could still use GSAK to a limited degree. But that box would still be there. In addition, I would not be able to quit GSAK normally.

The strange part about this is that once in a blue moon, the filter executes properly, and the box dissappears as it should. But most of the time, that doesn't happen.

Has anyone else run across a similar issue?

If I may as a somewhat related question - since I only saw an issue after I added a polygon to the filter - is GSAK capable of processing multiple polygons/arcs/etc..?

It would be particularly useful to not be limited to only one contiguous area to include/exclude - but I couldn't find any information on how I could specify more than one polygon/arc/etc...

If I may as a somewhat related question - since I only saw an issue after I added a polygon to the filter - is GSAK capable of processing multiple polygons/arcs/etc..?

It would be particularly useful to not be limited to only one contiguous area to include/exclude - but I couldn't find any information on how I could specify more than one polygon/arc/etc...

No, GSAK does not currently support multiple arc filters

....but you can do it with GPSBabel to your GPX file before GSAK gets it.

A single arc file can contain multiple non-contiguous arcs if you doctor them up with the special comment '#break'

If you had an arc file that looked like this (a silly example, but work with me):

41.150064468 -85.166207433

41.150064468 -85.165371895

41.149034500 -85.165157318

#break

81.150064468 -87.166207433

81.150064468 -87.165371895

81.149034500 -87.165157318

and then fed that to GPSBabel's arcdist filter, it would get you tthe caches around EITHER of those segments.

Multiple polygons can be done via the push and pop operations but I'll warn you up front that those are not for the faint at heart. I'm not a wimp when it comes to such things but most of the time I find it easier when geocaching to just run multiple polygon filters to multiple files (thus allowing me to spot check them individually on a map) and then merge the results together.

Now if I have a more "data processing-y" problem to solve that I'm trying to automate and efficiency matters (i.e. I'm doing this on tens of thousands of points, not a PQ to figure out which park something is in) I'll take the time to do it with the stack filter.

....but you can do it with GPSBabel to your GPX file before GSAK gets it.

Wow - it does sound like a convoluted way to get those results. But I guess if that's the only way to do it for the moment, I'll have to look further into it and see if I can get it to work for me without putting in more effort than the results are worth... :)

Thanks for the suggestion! B)