Waterproof Logs Books

Dan-oh

We get our postage stamps by mail and they come in a Tyvek envelope. I cut todays supply into a few strips for micro logs and I'll make another into a small book. It takes pen great and pencil so-so.

Seems like a free source of waterproof material. Anyone else try it?

Edited by Dan-oh

If one can write with a pen or pencil as easy as you claim, then it is an excellent source for homemade logbooks. With a couple of good strong staples it should hold together very well.

Just for giggles I can tell you that this material is tough! A family member of mine thought that he could stick it in the paper shredder as he does with all discarded mail....that was the last time that shredder worked!

Kar

Edited by Team Shibby

Great idea. No more soggy logs. Ya just have to be sure to include a pen somehow because they really don't take pencil well.

I use National Geographic Adventure Paper which accepts pen and pencil. It's not cheap at a buck a sheet, but you can get 4 strips of logs out of one sheet of paper. And because you can use NGAP in an inkjet printer, you can print out official looking log sheets.

Inkjet printers are great for many purposes but I would imagine you would need waterproof ink if you intend on using them for any type of cache material. I learned this lesson a long time ago to not use inkjet printed "You Found It" pages in our caches cause the ink runs at the first sign of moisture. Considering Tyvek is a plastic type of material, inkjet ink will most likely not absorb into it and will smear if it gets wet.

I would use a sharpie to write the cache name on the book and use a ruler to make lines for signatures. No need for a story, just name and date will do, at least for a micro <_<

Kar

Inkjet printers are great for many purposes but I would imagine you would need waterproof ink if you intend on using them for any type of cache material. I learned this lesson a long time ago to not use inkjet printed "You Found It" pages in our caches cause the ink runs at the first sign of moisture. Considering Tyvek is a plastic type of material, inkjet ink will most likely not absorb into it and will smear if it gets wet.

I would use a sharpie to write the cache name on the book and use a ruler to make lines for signatures. No need for a story, just name and date will do, at least for a micro :)

Kar

I use the standard HP ink on my logs printed on NG Adventure Paper and it doesn't smear when wet. HPAV appears to be a plastic of some sort rather than actual paper.

LisaS and I did a micro cache that was not only frozen in place. It was frozen inside. After carefully chipping the container out of the ice, and melting the contents enough to remove them we were amazed. cache log around a plug of ice

It looked to be some type of wallpaper, and was not only in great shape, but could be written on. GCJ73Q if you want to contact the owner for details on the paper.

I have been using waterproof logs that I purchase from waterprooflogs.com.

Looks and feels like real paper, because it is. Not tyvek, not plastic. Takes pen and pencil very well.

Holds up well even when underwater. :( Its really tough.

Edited by Chirpz