Mapsource Map Downloading

Alan Ellis

I've used Mapsource Topo on my GPS III+ since 1999. Mine is the old V 3.0. When I got my new 60CS, I also got a new version of Topo.

Anyway, one feature I've never liked about Mapsource is that when you download maps to your unit, it erases the old map set.

I was wondering if there is a way to download a new mapset on the 60CS without erasing the old mapset. Suggestions are appreciated.

Alan

-----------------------------------

www.JackieandAlan.com

Edited by Alan Ellis

I've never heard of any way to avoid erasing the old maps. You can select maps from multiple MapSource products and load them all at the same time. For example, I've had map regions from Roads&Rec, US Topo, and MetroGuide all selected in MapSource at the same time and downloaded to my GPS in one operation. Then I can select which type of map will be displayed in areas where they overlap by using the map menus on the GPS.

But any new download operation still starts by wiping out all the previously loaded maps. Given the much faster map download speed of the new models with USB interfaces, I don't see that this is nearly as much of a practical issue as it used to be when a download to a Vista or 76S took an hour.

BTW, AFAIK the Garmin US Topo maps are still the same ones you would have had with your III+.

Downloading maps to your Garmin will erase the old maps. I was told this is necessary because one of the things it downloads is an index of all the maps. Sounds like a bad architecture IMO, but that's the way it is so we have to live with it.

Yes, you can download maps from different products (eg. Topo, City Select, MetroGuide) at the same time.

Thanks for the responses. My suspicions were correct. I have downloaded Topo and City Select at the same time. The purpose of my original post was that I would like to keep my local area on my unit all the time, then download other stuff when necessary. Looks like I will just have to reload my local area every time.

I got a new Topo after my old one quit working. I tried to burn a copy to keep in my RV. The burned copy worked, but the original discs would not read in any CD Rom afterward. Anyone else had this experience?

-------------------------------

www.JackieandAlan.com

The purpose of my original post was that I would like to keep my local area on my unit all the time, then download other stuff when necessary. Looks like I will just have to reload my local area every time.

One partial solution is to save your home map set, with any waypoints or routes you always want, in MapSource. When you want to load a new map set, you can call up that file, and then just add the addtional maps you want. Of course, your upload time is still longer since you are reloading the local info every time, but at least you don't have to re-select the home map set every time.

More about loading maps and using multiple map sets here.

I have an eTrex Legend. Can I add new waypoints and routes to my GPSr without automatically erasing and having to reload my existing MapSource maps from my unit? I guess what I'm wondering is if this automatic erasing only applies to maps, or if waypoints and routes are also erased everytime new information is loaded.

Thanks for any replies,

Doug.