You Spen Too Much Time Doing That Geocashing Thing

texarado

My wife uses the word "addicted"....yet, she is the one that suggest we go 'caching when we have time together....and she is the one who won't quit until it's found....and she is the one who went out to visit her sister in California and insisted on taking the GPS in case she had a chance to look for any caches.....and she is the one who got her sister, and her nephew and his family hooked on caching.....but, she says she is only "interested" in it, but that I am "addicted." yeah, right!

Does anyone else out there have spouses, girlfriends, boyfriends or just friends that think you are crazy and spend may too much time with this addictive sport!

Nope. My wife enjoys it as much as I do. Its a good way to spend quality time together, even if she gloats when she finds the cache before I do :rolleyes: .

"Hello, my name is Beowulf."

(groups responds, "Hello Beowulf")

"It's been three weeks since my last lame micro cache..."

My wife is also considering starting a new 12-step program to help obsessed cachers. She thinks it will be a way to earn back the gas money I use going 100 miles to log another silly urban micro. Funny how she always says "Back so soon?" Am I missing something? :rolleyes:

My wife was the one that suggested this activity to me! We were out walking one day and she says "There's this thing I want to try, you go find stuff with a GPS." How do you know what a GPS is, I thought to myself. A friend of hers on another message board she's on talked about it in a thread and the wife though it sounded cool. I agreed.

I started caching almost a year ago, and was introduced to it by my boyfriend at the time. My family thought it was really strange at first...then I got my sister and her husband out there over Thanksgiving, and they are even better at it than I am!

Overall, most people I encounter think it sounds interesting, but few jump up and want me to take them, to actually show them what it is.

As for me, I am more obsessed, addicted, and willing to go looking than my ex-boyfriend is...which is why my find # is over twice his. (Not that I am keeping track... :rolleyes:

We broke up months ago, and I have to say...I don't miss him much in the dating sense, but do regret losing my main caching partner. I was reading the old thread about "Geocaching as an online dating service??" and am probably going to post there soon as well. Maybe there is someone lurking in Houston that wants to help me cache in those places I won't go solo. :anicute:

I would LOVE to date someone again who "gets it" and who thinks that a spontaneous caching run is a great way to spend time together. I would even at this point like to find more caching partners in my area. Until then, I cache alone...

My first real cache hunt was on Thanksgiving Day. I talked my dad, sister, brother and some nephews into going out to find this cache nearby. They all thought it was fun and had a great time, but no one seens to be into it like me.

Iv'e gone with my wife a few times but she wont get muddy or go through the thorn patch with me, so i just keep on trucking and leave her behind. then she complains. Can you believe it!!

What's next? :rolleyes: Geocaching Rehab Centers? :anicute:

Answer YES or NO to the following questions.

1 - Have you ever decided to stop caching for a week or so, but only lasted for a couple of days?

Yes No

2 - Do you wish people would mind their own business about your caching-- stop telling you what to do?

Yes No

3 - Have you ever switched from one kind of cache (micros to multis, e.g.) to another in the hope that this would make you seem less obsessed?

Yes No

4 - Have you had to run out for a cache upon awakening during the past year?

Yes No

5 - Do you envy people who can cache without getting into trouble?

At one time or another, most of us have wondered why we were not like most people, who really can take it or leave it.

Yes No

6 - Have you had problems connected with caching during the past year?

Be honest! Doctors say that if you have a problem with caching and keep on hunting for them, it will get worse -- never better. Eventually, you will die, or end up in an institution for the rest of your life. The only hope is to stop caching.

Yes No

7 - Has your caching caused trouble at home?

Yes No

8 - Do you ever tell your wife you’re looking at “MILF” to hide the fact that you’ve been visiting ammo can auction websites?

Yes No

9 - Do you tell yourself you can stop caching any time you want to, even though you keep gettinglost in the woods when you don't mean to?

Many of us kidded ourselves into thinking that we cached because we wanted to. After we came into G.C.A.., we found out that once we started to cache, we couldn't stop.

Yes No

10 - Have you missed days of work or school because of caching?

Many of us admit now that we "called in sick" lots of times when the truth was that we were out hunting for tupperware.

Yes No

11 - Do you have "blackouts"?

A "blackout" is when we have been caching hours or days which we cannot remember. When we came to G.C.A. we found out that this is a pretty sure sign of compulsive caching.

Yes No

12 - Have you ever felt that your life would be better if you did not cache?

Yes No

Did you answer YES four or more times? If so, you are probably in trouble with caching.

________________________________________Call us at 40 54.209 72 50.582

hukilaulau,

That is funny.. in fact, I was laughing at it and my wife came in and asked what I was laughing at. So I showed her. Big mistake. She thought it was a setup to confront her. She immediately got defensive and kept saying "but I am only interested in it, not addicted, and most of the time, I only go so that I can keep you from getting further addicted. You're the one that needs help, not me. I could never find another cache and it woudn't bother me, see, I can quit any time I want." After she calmed down, she said "okay, look, I'll prove it to you...let's go caching Saturday, and then we won't go for three weeks, and I'll show you it doesn't bother me and I'm not addicted." I said sure, why not, bet you can't...... and it then dawned on me that we have committments that will probably rule out any caching anyway until the end of the month. Think she got me again. :rolleyes:

Hank

I mentioned to my wife over dinner last night that I was soon going caching for the weekend 3 states away and got no surprised reaction. She long ago gave up tryng to stem this addiction of mine.

but what's she up to when you're three states away? <_<

sex and the single cacher. maybe we need a seperate section in the forums? cacheblinddate. post where you're going caching and see who's around to meet up with.

single when started still single now can't think why! even with all the toys i buy for the hobby it's still cheaper than having another wife!

Here is something to consider, You are addicted if:

1. Have you missed classes or work because of geocaching?

2. Do you have trouble refusing geocaching?

3. Do you need geocaching in order to have fun at a party?

4. Do you use geocaching to build up your self-confidence

5. Do you use geocaching to help you relax?

6. Have you tried to give up geocaching and failed?

7. Do you crave geocaching as soon as you wake up?

8. Do you get into trouble because of geocaching?

9. Do you crave geocaching at a definite time daily?

10. Do you lie to others about how often you partake in Geocaching?

11. Have you gotten into financial difficulties because of geocaching?

12. Do you often wish people would just mind their own business about you and geocaching?

13. When you are in a store, you look at every hollow object as a potential cache container.

14. You spend most of your time in a dollar store looking for swag.

15. Everywhere you go, you are always looking for a hiding spot.

16. You get really excited when you find a new park.

17. Do you check geocaching.com web site more than once a day?

18. Has your GPSr ever been confiscated "for your own good"?

19.You no longer visualize/think of the city in terms of streets and addresses but rather cache locations.

20. When you start giving out coordinates instead of map directions to a particular location (like your house).

21. You’ve had more “conversations” on your Garmin than on your REAL cell phone.

22. Your wedding invitation features a Difficulty / Terrain rating.

23. You realize you can now read the hints without clicking “Decrypt”or looking at the key.

24. You get distracted watching movies because you keep scanning the background scenery, thinking, “That’d be a GREAT place for a cache!”

25. Everyone else puts a quarter in the coffee fund jar in the office break room. You TAKE a quarter, leave a Travel Bug, and cover the jar with pine straw.

This is from a cache, placed by one of the members of the team:GCM3TX

My ex-wife used to complain about all the time I spent geocaching. Enough said. :D

I suppose the fact that since I started caching I have taken up canoeing, hiking, backpacking, snowshoeing, skiing (downhill and cross-country) rock climbing and mountain biking all originally as a means to get to various caches, and then as life-enriching recreation in their own rights says more about my attraction to the sport than anything can. All those things that I never had thought of doing until i needed them to find a cache...it seems that necessity is truly the mother of invention. Or something like that.

Well, the husband mocked me, but became an enabler at Christmas when he stuffed not only MY stocking with dogtags, stickers and micro containers all from the GC.com store, but also my CHILDREN's stockings. He also upgraded my Palm as a suprise (a 6-year-newer version). I actually hadn't even been looking for one or considering one, so it was a great first suprise from him! :D

A friend took to calling me a GeoGeek, but now he's caching his way around with his own kids and wife in tow! (OK...so now I'm a pusher.)

But I DO spend too much time at this, I must agree. I used to do things like plan stuff to do with my kids at home. You know, educational stuff. I used to spend a bit more time at my paying gigs.

So...funny this thread is here tonight. I came online to find the thread for our local group (Poison Oak Cachers). Apparently we weren't active enough and the thread is gone, or I'm just extra lame and can't find it.

ANYHOW...as of this evening I vow not to search for ANY caches unless they're in REALLY neat locations, larger than a micro and worth a day's stay with my children (and perhaps even the enabler-husband of mine). I've wasted countless hours on parking lot micros just to get them "off my list." (This is NOT a game to get into if you're AT ALL obsessive, which I've learned, thanks to this game, I AM!)

It's been fun, but I'm cutting back. Really! I can quit ANY time! (Now...when's that next pocketquery coming through?)