Road Trip

workerofwood

Ok, so several people are interested. Lets figure out when to do this.

The plan- caravan from San Jose (and elswhere) up Hwy 5 to WA and Project Ape. 3 days, staying each night in Portland.

First suggestion was to time it so we return through Oregon on May 3rd for the anniversary. That would make this a Sun-Tues trip.

If not, we could do a Fri-Sun trip at another time (maybe earlier).

Thoughts?

I'd love to go, but I don't know what my plans are going to be in May. If time allows, I prefer taking the train. If I'm in a rush, I might take a plane on discount fare, then join the group in Portland. I can caravan also.

FYI: approximately 670 driving miles from San Jose to Portland. I've driven to Eugene in about 8 hours including rest stops and food breaks.

OK, so that's 1800 miles round-trip from San Jose to Mission 9, according to Yahoo Maps.

Just doing the math...to do this in 3 days means:

12 hours daily driving @ 50 miles per hour <_<:o:D

6 hours daily sleeping / waking up / eating / filling up car / etc.

6 hours daily caching

Yeehaw.

OK, so that's 1800 miles round-trip from San Jose to Mission 9, according to Yahoo Maps.

12 hours daily driving @ 50 miles per hour :D:D<_<

6 hours daily caching

Yeehaw.

Maybe ya'll could skip one cache and factor in a clothing change? :o

12 hours daily driving @ 50 miles per hour B)B):)

6 hours daily caching

Yeehaw.

50 miles an hour? My car idles faster than that...

It's all on highway (mostly I5), plenty of quick caches on the route (zillions in Portland),.

I would expect 8-10 hours driving, with 2-3 hours caching (consider the driving time gets you from cache to cache), end up somewhere between Eugene and Portland the first night. Probably the same the other 2 days.

Hee hee - I'm sure it does, especially on I-5. I figured 50 was a good overall progress guess, if any caches that got grabbed along the way were a ways off the freeway. If they're all close than I'm sure your estimate's right.

Is this more what you had in mind? :o

fb62a09b-90e8-4714-a1fb-fa9466266297.jpg

That's pretty much what I see when there is a new cache locally, or when someone drops a geocoin around here....

(ever see the french film short "Rendesvous" by LeLouch? Kind of reminds me of caching around here)

No, but I've seen the chase in The French Connection, and that matches the local FTF races pretty well. :o

(Actually, while I'm willing to infract a speed law to a minor degree, I'm always *very* careful not to drive dangerously for an FTF. The hobby doesn't need that sort of tragedy and neither do I...)

Edited by Team Nazgul

Hello Everybody, Not New To geocaching, but not the fastest geocacher in the world, I am interested in the trip if somebody needs a passenger in there car for the ride, i do not drive. Hence the low numbers of caches found, all i ask for is if i go is a soft pillow and a hard floor.

happy caching

cal78

I didn't know about this thread so I had posted this in the SF area thread, What do you all think?

On another note, I'll be listing soon an event to be held on April 1. It will be a low key thing at a pizza joint in the Dublin/Pleasanton area, with the main purpose of collecting travel bugs and fellow Geocachers that would like to join me in a trip toThis Event In Ventura I'll only be at the pizza thing for about an hour(around 7pm+), and then plan to drive to around Bakersfield on Friday night, and complete the journey to the Event on Saturday morning. contact me if you're interested in going to Ventura (Carpool, or Convoy)

If this trip is still in the works, you might want to consider This cache

Sorry, I've screwed up the link somehow...it's a cache at the gc.com headquarters. Archived, but it appears that this was done on purpose to hide it somewhat. A little bonus for those who make the effort to find the place I suppose.

Edited by mjp303

Ok, need to get the date set for this. I'm going to propose Leaving early Friday April 29 and return very late Sunday the 1st. It would also be possible to leave Thursday afternoon to take some of the time pressure off.

There are several inexpensive motels along the route, or we could consider camping (or a mix).

Thoughts? Start lobbying for the time off....

Right before the first mention of this trip came up in the SF thread, I had my own event planned. I decided to forget that idea since I wanted people to be able to attend both. Anyway, what this means is that in all liklihoods, I'd be free to go to Portland. In fact, it's been my lifelong dream (for about a year ;) ) to go.

My internship ends April 20 at which point I'll be moving back to the bay area...hooray! As long as I can find an apartment sometime after that, I would be able to go. I can even drive (I have 4wd) but I much prefer being a passenger. ;)

The Snoqualmie Pass Tunnel is not open till May 1st. Just thought I would throw it out there in case anyone was unaware of the fact.

While you can do the cache without entering the tunnel, the tunnel looks pretty cool. I'm going to look for workable dates after May 1.

I'd lobby for the Memorial Day Weekend, but I can see how people might have conflicting family events during that time.

We might also consider a trip date based on weather patterns - for example, best time to visit the Bay Area is NOT during summer, but between late October-December, due to smaller chances of both precipitation and marine layer.

I remember visiting the NorthWest in late June/early July years ago, and there was only one day of overcast, the other 3-4 days were sunny or partly sunny. When I was in Portland during late May last year, it was raining very hard for 3 out of 4 days.

Good weather = less stuff to carry. ;)

I'm still fixated on doing this trip, got to do some crazy caching thing every now and then to remain certifiable.

I now am looking at the weekend of 5/20-22 (the same as the GBES rally, I know). Does that make a difference to anyone?

As an alternative, I am driving to WA for a vacation in June and will probably leave on the 25th. We could caravan up and I could bid you farewell after the cache.

I think my wife would say I was crazy, but it sounds like fun.http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/style_images/Groundsp-964/icon12.gif

He's right, I would...

But I love him dearly regardless...

Sadly(for me), he gets more vacation time than I do...

*jealousy*

As much as I love vacations & adventures,

Limited time & short staffing takes its toll...

(Cat &) Bird

Edited by Cat_And_Bird

I'm sure we'll be taking the I-5 route and speed trap tips would be appreciated, not that any of us would ever speed or anything. ;)

I know that workerofwood and I have both been swamped for a few weeks by work and other pesky things, but we'll start doing serious planning Real Soon Now. If anyone else wants to join in, now's the time to get serious about it. I have no idea what vehicle(s) we'll be using or how many people we can take but we'll get that sorted before long, I hope.

Edited by Team Nazgul