Lame Post

AtoZ

So what make you a LAME poster to the forums. Basically just being shot down for ok lame topic is as lame as making the topic. So why don't you equally shoot down everyone who ask for the 500 time "WHAT SHOULD I DO FOR A CACHE?" I mean come on folks that is the LAMES question there is and you all just seem to be so blase about it. Okay this is all in a response for my resent post about lame caches and maybe I didnt ask it right or I was just bored but how much of what is said on forums is said for just those reason. Are there REALLY any new and valid question. I have been on various forums for going on 10 yrs and after a while there is no such thing as a new question and all the dumb answers you could want have been made. I think I can say I have seen it all but I guess the spirit of a forum is for people to aak questions about something they have an interest in and like.

Yes some times I want to make a LAME answer but then I start and realize I am not contribuiting to a person's edification nor providing any valid information so I just hit the cancle button. So Hummmm.....

cheers

Maybe the reactions you are getting to your posts are why there have been so many posts about intimidation.

Really, people, if you don't like the topic of a post, just move on and don't reply. This is just a common courtesy. What you may find LAME might be interesting to others. Please, grow up and be nice. Sure, these repeat questions might be better served by using the search function, but it isn't that hard to politely suggest that the poster do a search, then have them lock the post. If you don't post a reply to a lame post, then those posts will eventually go away.

Maybe the reactions you are getting to your posts are why there have been so many posts about intimidation.

Really, people, if you don't like the topic of a post, just move on and don't reply. This is just a common courtesy. What you may find LAME might be interesting to others. Please, grow up and be nice. Sure, these repeat questions might be better served by using the search function, but it isn't that hard to politely suggest that the poster do a search, then have them lock the post. If you don't post a reply to a lame post, then those posts will eventually go away.

Hear, hear.

And the same thing for so called lame caches. I have a 3 yr old that caches with me occasionally and 1/1 caches in city parks are great ones for young children. If you think they are lame then learn how to use the rating system. That is what is there for.

I didn't think that the post the OP is referring to was lame. It did, however, follow hot on the heels of several other threads on the same subject, so at worst, what happened was that people were just tired of the subject and just didn't want to get into posting the same answers about the same subject they had just posted answers to in several other threads. So unfortunately the OP was treated to a referral to the previous posts. Perhaps the treatment could have been a little gentler, and if my post caused the OP any heartburn, I'm sorry for that. At the same time, the advice to search to see if the topic has been recently beaten to death is good advice. I hope it doesn't put the OP off from posting in the future.

Hank

I didn't think that the post the OP is referring to was lame. It did, however, follow hot on the heels of several other threads on the same subject, so at worst, what happened was that people were just tired of the subject and just didn't want to get into posting the same answers about the same subject they had just posted answers to in several other threads. So unfortunately the OP was treated to a referral to the previous posts. Perhaps the treatment could have been a little gentler, and if my post caused the OP any heartburn, I'm sorry for that. At the same time, the advice to search to see if the topic has been recently beaten to death is good advice. I hope it doesn't put the OP off from posting in the future.

Hank

Like I said earlier, it's one thing for a n00b to not know about the search function. When someone has 250 posts (like the OP has) you'd think they've been around long enough to search first and post later.

I hope it doesn't put the OP off from posting in the future.

Something that a lot of you should think about. Your right of course but using that as an excuse to be negative doesn't do the sport any good. There *is* a reason why we have a lot of lurkers out there that won't post anything... Such a shame.

I appricate the replys. But as SAX put it then no one should post in this forum as I have hardly ever seen an orgional question posted here. So why post at all. Forums are not so much informational I don't know about most folks but for myself I tend to get very involved with what ever I do. And if you admit it honestly geocaching isn't rocket sccience, just depend up it. So there isnt a lot of congition that is required. But a forum becomes like the old city gates where the elders of a village would sit and discuss whatever was on there minds. Besides maybe if you ask a question again it will give some one a voice to express themselves without having to go SEARCH for something they never even thought of. The greatest thing about a forum is freedom of speech. Okay your tired of listening well MOVE on.

cheers

As a new be, I find these forums have more rules than Geocaching itself!

It is a shame that there are more Deputy Moderators than Moderators and I have been rudely shot down by them.

I have found many times the search function not working.

I have been to the getting started section, and find out I'm wasting time going thru pages of posts to find an answer to what I was looking for, or my imputation of the question.

What's the big deal when someone asks the same question?

I do have 10 years of forum use likes the OP, and never been, or seen one as Communist as this forum.

I will still use the forum for information, and hopefully some fun, (that's scarce here) I believe that was what it was created for?

I just have to do a lot of weeding out of the guidelines posted by the Deputy's and the Moderators, over, and over, and over, and somewhere in between them, I might even learn something about Geocaching, Maybe get a laugh, but most of the information here is how to use these forums politically correct.

1signature2zl.jpg

A long time ago I started to develop an interest in CB radio in the UK. It sounded like it could be a lot of fun. Then, once it got off the ground, it turned out to be largely full of plonkers who wanted to talk about nothing but CB radio. I never quite saw the point of that. There is a word I would like to use here but it would get the big red pencil swinging. There is a lot of that same sort of thing going on in this forum. Why spend your time on a forum discussing the forum? Yeah, I know, I am doing just that but I have a vain hope that it will make a point. I have no intention of getting into anything as a result of this thread.

I am well aware that there have been some very acrimonious stuff that has gone on in here over the last couple of years. I am also aware that there needs to be some moderation since the site is family accessible. However, moderating a forum, to my mind, should stop at naughty words and naughty ideas. That applies to the self appointed moderators as well as the official ones. (moving things, nicely, to the correct forum is good too - to ensure proper coverage since everyone does not cruise every forum)

I guess what I am saying is, one mans 'lame' is another mans 'interesting'.

As was pointed out earlier in the thread, a search is not always the best way to cover a point. Who can honestly say that they have watched a TV show or a ball game (for example) and then, having discussed it at lunch the next day, are prepared to say, 'No, I have nothing else to say on the subject and neither have you. It was all said earlier!' It is fun, and it is often productive to go back over stuff. Simply for the fun of dwelling on a subject that we are interested in.

If that happens to appear in a thread and doesn't appeal to you right there and then, move on. An item is NOT lame simply 'cause it is not in your immediate interest.

Ever hear this one? - Live and let live.

WOW, I enjoyed that... Hope it makes sense!

edit: to add the part about moving stuff

Edited by bug and snake

i can see that having more than one open topic about a subject is silly and opening another when one has only just dropped off due to a couple of days without comments might frustrate some people. but really is this worth getting upset over? so what? if you don't want to comment in the new thread then don't.

sometimes it's better for a new thread so that your not wading through three weeks of replies. either way we have too many people trying to impose their beliefs on others. just cause you think i shouldn't open a new thread doesn't mean your right and i'm wrong.

live and let live. don't flame people just ignore the threads you don't have an interest in.

just my 2p worth

i must be lame. i don't see the problem. i am new and have yet to be turned down with a 'dumb' question. there are some very knowledgeable folks here and they seem willing to share. if you act dumb, you get dumb back. courteous and polite begets same. and for those few who don't have a clue, ignore them and drive on. i really enjoy this forum - this is a big world and there is room for all, even the rude ones (whom i perversely enjoy).

i must be lame. i don't see the problem. i am new and have yet to be turned down with a 'dumb' question. there are some very knowledgeable folks here and they seem willing to share. if you act dumb, you get dumb back. courteous and polite begets same. and for those few who don't have a clue, ignore them and drive on. i really enjoy this forum - this is a big world and there is room for all, even the rude ones (whom i perversely enjoy).

Very well said.

Thanks fersman4, you said it better than I could.