coords vs ways

yummykaz

I'm not quite sure I completely understand the question, but I'll take a stab at it.

Coordinates are the latitude and longitude, such as:

N 26° 12.311 W 097° 10.695

A waypoint, if I understand your question, is a name given to the coordinates so that they are easier to identify, such as:

GCD033

The waypoint name really has nothing to do with where the cache is located. You could name it whatever you'd like. It's just the way that Geocaching.com happens to name each cache.

You mentioned owning the eTrex yellow. As a matter of fact, you can download waypoints with that unit, you just need the cable. I highly recommend purchasing a cable. It's much, much easier.

When you say the coordinates are not the same, do you mean that when you get a pocket query and then open the file with EasyGPS that the numbers do not match the cache page? If that's the case, the reason is that EasyGPS displays coordinates in a slightly different format. You can change the format to match Geocaching.com by going to the [FILE] menu:

File->Preferences->Coordinates->Degrees, Minutes.Minutes

Hope this helps.

Jamie

A waypoint and a coordinate are pretty much the same thing. They both indicate a specific spot on this planet. What Jamie was explaining was the difference between a coordinate and a waypoint name. The name is really just shorthand for the coordinate. It could be GCxxxx (the geocaching.com standard), or simply say something like MY HOUSE.

I second Jamie's recommedation to get a cable for your eTrex. The base eTrex is PC compatible.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

quote:
waypoint (wâ´point´) noun

A point between major points on a route, as along a track.

Excerpted from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Third Edition © 1996 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Electronic version licensed from INSO Corporation; further reproduction and distribution in accordance with the Copyright Law of the United States. All rights reserved.

We've changed the meaning to mean one coordinate but the original meaning is as above.

Alan

quote:
Now if I could get my dang Etrex to NOT have the time delay on it.

Time delay? There is no time delay on an eTrex. I know the Magellans have waypoint averaging, which sort of works like a time dealy under some conditions, but this feature isn't on an eTrex.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm