Edmonton

GPSVixen

I was talking to another cacher and we were wondering if you had any ideas on how to promote caching here in Edmonton.

At times it is very quiet here!

Do you have any ideas on how to get people involved, to promote community, and to increase the volume of caches in Edmonton and it's surrounding areas.

What would you like to see happening in Edmonton? or are you content?

Vixie :P

How about telling all of your friends and co-workers about geocaching and even take those that seem interested out on a geocacing hunt.

Contact some of your local newspapers/tv stations to do an article on geocaching.

Stand on a street corner in downtown Edmonton handing out flyers about geocaching to the thousands of passerbys.

Just place more caches, and even some very public ones.

You could meet with the local Parks and Recreation department. If Geocaching is promoted as a family friendly activity that would raise awareness of the local City facilites chances are that the local governement would encourage the idea.

Also contacting Eco-friendly movements helps too. They will see Geocaching as a

"Clean" activity and pass the word too.

Like Res2100 said... placing more caches helps too, but only if word of mouth is used.

You could try the local media, especially if you are having a CITO event or think that you can introduce the hobby.

I usually describe it the same way most others do "High Tech Hide and Seek or Treasure Hunting, with low-impact walking or hiking"

:unsure: The Blue Quasar

Dunno, but your local caches will be getting some action next week when I get up there... In Calgary right now, on the laptop in the hotel room planning for some caching tomorrow.

What is with this crazy weather? +14 and no snow at all, when I got off the plane I almost melted. And to think I brought my cross-country skis and my bunny boots! LOL...

Regards,

Anthony

Having been to Edmonton a few times....

The largest indoor mall in the world is in Edmonton and its not because the winters are mild and people like to spend a lot of time outdoors.

Sadly, the city is flat and boring too. I'll take some flack for this but my west-coast friends are always ribbing me that Toronto is flat and boring but I'm convinced Edmonton is flatter and more boring! :rolleyes: I guess that's why they call it Deadmonton. :ph34r: Drive a couple of hours west and its amazing though.

<running for cover>!!

Coupar-Angus

I have only 17 left to do in Edmonton, and I am venturing out in all dirctions. I just spent to days in Calgary caching my heart out. I am going out further and further out of Edmonton due to the lack of caches in Edmonton.

This is why I am asking for suggestions. I personally have put out 10 caches in the last 4 months, and co-hosted Edmontons first cache event with the Bush Creatures.

I beleive that if you cache, it is nice to give back to the caching community and place a cache or two. :rolleyes:

I am reading your suggestions........... beleive me.

Any more?????

Vixie

Having been to Edmonton a few times....

The largest indoor mall in the world is in Edmonton and its not because the winters are mild and people like to spend a lot of time outdoors.

Sadly, the city is flat and boring too. I'll take some flack for this but my west-coast friends are always ribbing me that Toronto is flat and boring but I'm convinced Edmonton is flatter and more boring! :rolleyes: I guess that's why they call it Deadmonton. :anicute: Drive a couple of hours west and its amazing though.

<running for cover>!!

Coupar-Angus

Thinks Edmonton is flat, I guess he spent all his time at the mall.

We were there in November and was surprised at the number of caches in the surrounding area. It is such a beautiful city and all the caches in the river valley could keep a cacher busy for quite some time.

Dunno, but your local caches will be getting some action next week when I get up there... In Calgary right now, on the laptop in the hotel room planning for some caching tomorrow.

What is with this crazy weather? +14 and no snow at all, when I got off the plane I almost melted. And to think I brought my cross-country skis and my bunny boots! LOL...

Regards,

Anthony

Gonzo - I'd be honoured to have a fellow Yukoner (I'm a former) stop in Lacombe on the way to Edmonton and find one of my caches.

It would be cool to see your log.

BTW - One cache I found in Edmonton had a pretty long staircase involved in getting back to the vehicle. It can't be all flat.

I agree that there is a definite lack of concentration of caches in the Edmonton area, and for that matter much of northern Alberta. I think this will change over time as the sport grows. We can do our part by creating new caches and maintaining them properly. I am finally going to do my part and put a few out in NE Albera soon.

Perhaps a cache event in Edmonton in the near future would help too?

;) There is already one or two cache events being thought up altready. It would be in March/April :D Stay tuned!!!

We had such a wonderful turnout at the First (we think) Annual Cache event.

I know I appreciate your entusiasm Nicklecachers and everyone else who is trying to better the sport in Edmonton.

We are Not Deadmonton :D we are a work in progress ;)

I know I appreciate your entusiasm Nicklecachers and everyone else who is trying to better the sport in Edmonton.

I am not saying that there aren't good caches in Edmonton. Edmonton is certainly not Deadmonton. Give it time! I haven't found a bad cache yet, and as you can see, I'm pretty new at this. I'm in Edmonton almost every two weeks and I appreciate the work of all those who have place great caches in the area. Keep up the good work! We appreciate it!

:D

Just drive a few 100km south, and do the cache down here :). Just a thought about shouting it from the rooftops so to speak. Got to be careful you don't attract the 'wrong sorts' of people. So far, at least down in Calgary, we've been blessed with a pretty good bunch of cachers.. If the masses start comming out, you risk getting a lot of 'lame' caches, placed by people you'd probably rather not have in your 'inner group' so to speak. Personally I would have thought this arguement pretty weak, except for one particular cacher that recently showed up on scene here who could really do with some indoctrination (placing essentially garbage caches in non-waterproof containers).

So if you start bringing out the public to it, make sure they have proper indoctrination first.

Import a few chinooks so we don't have to cache in -20 all the time :o

I missed out on my chance last week to get some caching done while it was nice out but i'm still around and will be much more active come spring. I'm a big wussy and hate the cold. Once I get a better feel for it I plan on placing a few Caches as well. So the scene in Edmonton is growing, but slowly..

I think talking to A-Channel and seeing if the big breakfast would want to do a spot on it might be a good idea.

I am here now and it looks to me like Edmonton has loads of caches, and lots of really good ones too. I am not sure why you would be concerned. If I lived here, I would have enough to keep me busy for the next 5-10 years, at least.

I"m going skiing today and hopefully to find Strathcona Wilderness 1.1, which was placed Feb 3 2001 and seems to be the oldest cache in the area. If anyone knows differently, please tell me. It will make it a nice double, as I found the oldest cache in Calgary (Who Knows) last week.

Regards,

Anthony

Gonzo - I'd be honoured to have a fellow Yukoner (I'm a former) stop in Lacombe on the way to Edmonton and find one of my caches.

Sorry I couldn't do it this trip, no time on the way from Calgary to Edmonton. I would have loved to do Survival on the Cline in the winter. That's a real gonzo-style cache, must be the Yukoner in you. :rolleyes:

I'll keep it on my list for next time I come south.

Regards,

Anthony

Yes, Strathcona wilderness is the first one in Edmonton. Very nice cache.

When I do a readout of all of the caches, page ten is Red Deer - 150 km's away.

So basically Edmonton really has maybe under 150 caches, which is not alot when you cache frequently.

I started in May, and I only have 17 left to to. Some which are a struggle because they are math for me :tired:

Page 10 for Calgary is still in their city limits, which I have been doing, but it can be costly for a hotel, gas and food.

Can't stop, its my hobby and I love it :):huh::rolleyes:

I started in May, and I only have 17 left to do.

Now that's funny because I started in mid-August 2004 and there's only about 10 in Calgary that I haven't done and so I'm planning on spending a few weekends in Edmonton this year to do some power-caching. In fact, I'm thinking about going up to Edmonton on Family Day ( my wife works that day, boo hoo ). Maybe we'll cross paths somewhere near Red Deer - I'll wave to every car heading south : )

Have you done any brass cap hunting in Edmonton? There's lots up there waiting to be found!

There's lots of caches around Calgary ( in the mountains, outlying towns, etc. ) that I haven't done yet but I want to do some power-caching and not spend 3/4 of the time driving to another cache.

Edited by nicolo

You think that caches are rare in your parts? Huh?

I just started with geocaching and am already starting to think that it will be a very short lived part of my life. There is only one cache even remotely close to me and that one is located at least an hour and a half drive south. I live in La Crete, Alberta; extremely remote, but would make for some beautiful cache locations. I am planning to place on myself soon, to see who might come across is and maybe make some connections that way.