Which Gps ?

gpsjester

I am trying to decide which gps to buy. My wife wants my Geko 201.

I was looking at the Garmin gpsmap 60, I contacted http://www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk £229.95 and has an international basemap.

I also emailed a power seller on ebay same gpsr, international basemap, but came with garmin mapsource worldmap, free (NORMALLY £50), £204.95

I have been told, and seen on my daughters Legend, that the basemaps are not very accurate.

I have purchased quite a few things from ebay, usually under £20, I've bought things that were faulty, broken. If you decide to buy from ebay, look for someone who is a power seller with 100% positive feedback, or as near as possible.

I have still not decided which gpsr to buy, but have decided not to use ebay.

I have bought from Global positioning systems before, and i know they are OK.

I hope this helps

Don-dpoet

Edited by dpoet

I recently bought the etrex Legend C, after humming and harring for a few days.

I'd originally toy'd with the idea of buying the etrex yellow or geko 201 but ended up buying the etrex Venture. After playing with it for a while i decided to take it back and changed it for the Legend C - primarily because of the basemapping and usb connectivity.

Just happened to have the spare cash, but if money was a concern then it probably would have been the Geko 201 or Venture.

i must admit though - the Legend C is a superb bit of kit, reception is very good and quite accurate. I couldn't justify the extra spend for the Vista C just for a compass. The unit is also a lot more compact than the Map 60 series.

I read that someone in here bought a Garmin from Ebay. What are the problems ? I ask because I was told that most of them are sent over from the USA and do not have the mapping for the UK. Is this true?

I bought my Legend on E-bay from a US seller, worked out at half the retail UK price [not for nothing is the UK known as Treasure Island for retailers!]

No problems, but it does have a US/Canadian basemap (came in handy when I visited Nova Scotia]

I bought Map Source from the same seller - admittedly an old version, but fine for cacheing

My experience of E-bay has been positive over a dozen or so purchases, but there are some rogue traders - watch the feedback

I recently bought the etrex Legend C, after humming and harring for a few days.

I must admit though - the Legend C is a superb bit of kit, reception is very good and quite accurate. I couldn't justify the extra spend for the Vista C just for a compass.

I thought about the Legend C (upgrading from the original legend) but opted for the Vista C because I wanted a proper barometer. Trouble is when I go out I usually forget to calibrate it! So unless I happen upon a trig point on my travels it's never accurate! As to the compass......hmm.... useful when you are almost on a cache and want to just turn left and right and see where it points but don't often use that.... So on reflection, the Legend C would have done me too!!

Anybody else with a legend get total lockup when deleting all waypoints? If I do that while I am inside and no satellites locked, it will lock the thing up solid. Have to remove batteries to get control back again.

When working inside with no lock

Bring up the sat page left click the stick

press stick and Highlight Work with GPS OFF

Then click it

You can then delete waypoints, routes etc

...So on reflection, the Legend C would have done me too!!

The biggest advantage of the Vista over the Legend, colour version or mono, is the 24 MB of internal memory in the same piece of kit.

If you ever decide to by a Garmin autorouting GPS unit (one that comes with City Select or City Navigator software), the autorouting software can also be used with the colour versions to obtain proper full autorouting.

The size of your internal memory will be important in this case because there is more data for a given map area in the CS and CN software packages.

For example, we own a Streetpilot 2610 and a Vista C. We use CN V7 that came with the SP, to load data into both. The SP, with a 1GB compact flash card, holds the whole of the UK, France and Spain along with a healthy chunk of the LH side of Germany. Brilliant for driving in Europe.

The Vista C, with only 24 MB holds all of East Anglia, the NE part of London and a couple of bits round Brighton. Quite enough for the pushbikes and caching.

The Legend C - would struggle...

To be able to use the much vaunted autorouting features of these units, you have to install map data from either "City Select" or "City Navigator" data discs. These are V. expensive and each data disc comes with 2 unlocks to use with specified GPS units.

Fine if you have a spare unlock available (we had one available from the CN software that was included with our StreetPilot 3). Other Garmin Mapsource products will give you hi-res maps okay but no autorouting.

Very much the newbie, this is one area I'm quite confused about.

I live in the UK, hence reasonble that I'd want Eu maps.

City Select seems the more detailed map suite, so I started googling.

Apparently the users in the US can buy Eu maps, as we can buy the US

City Select maps. I asked Garmin, but have had no clear answer yet.

They intimated that the maps were 'available with certain GPS systems' as if

that were a satisfactory answer.

The only source I found was as part of a bundle, a car adaptor+ maps

about £180 from Inmac.

Since don't want a GPS device for the car, that wasn't much use to me.

Is it possible to buy the maps for use with a UK bought Garmin?

I'm not even sure we can buy from Garmin themselves, their shop

is clearly set up for a US buyer.

I was thinking of the 60CS, but the lack of maps puts me off.

I'm led to believe that Uploading OS maps to a Garmin is made hard

which makes the City Select maps the only real option.

Seems curios in terms of a marketing strategy.

pbuser.

Very much the newbie, this is one area I'm quite confused about.

I live in the UK, hence reasonble that I'd want Eu maps.

City Select seems the more detailed map suite, so I started googling.

Apparently the users in the US can buy Eu maps, as we can buy the US

City Select maps. I asked Garmin, but have had no clear answer yet.

They intimated that the maps were 'available with certain GPS systems' as if

that were a satisfactory answer.

The only source I found was as part of a bundle, a car adaptor+ maps

about £180 from Inmac.

Since  don't want a GPS device for the car, that wasn't much use to me.

Is it possible to buy the maps for use with a UK bought Garmin?

I'm not even sure we can buy from Garmin themselves, their shop

is clearly set up for a US buyer.

I was thinking of the 60CS, but the lack of maps puts me off.

I'm led to believe that Uploading OS maps to a Garmin is made hard

which makes the City Select maps the only real option.

Seems curios in terms of a marketing strategy.

pbuser.

I'm having the same issue with Garmin, maybe we should write to BBC Watchdog; City Select should be available as Maps only and it is time Garmin recognized this fact!

Milton (aka Moote)

Edited by Moote
This  thread gives a bit more info on City Select:  http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=110636

BTW you can't get Os maps that will work on Garmin Gps :P

Dave

pbuser

This  thread gives a bit more info on City Select:  http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=110636

BTW you can't get Os maps that will work on Garmin Gps :P

Dave

Thanks Dave.

I'm struggling with this. I guess GPSr's aren't ready for

full OS maps with GPS functionality - maybe next year :-)

No way at all to get an OS map (or part thereof) onto a Garmin

then? Im thinking of a C60 series.

the map situation seems pathetic. I am contemplating buying a gps of my own, having been using a gps60 (non-mapping) loaned to me by work so far. I don't care about sat nav for my car, but I can see no point in lashing out for something like the gpsmap 60cs unless it can use topographical maps such as ordnance survey. The only suggestions so far are that I buy a palm pilot with gps - fine so long as I don't drop it or get it wet - or download some amateur software which will require me to edit the computer's registry.

Why on earth can Garmin and ordnance survey not get their act together and produce a UK-usable portable gps device which is rugged and gives us the maps we hikers are used to? I can see no reason to fork out for anything more sophisticated than a Venture until this is done.

David

Why on earth can Garmin and ordnance survey not get their act together and produce a UK-usable portable gps device which is rugged and gives us the maps we hikers are used to? I can see no reason to fork out for anything more sophisticated than a Venture until this is done.

I'm sure that they could but OS digital mapping costs a fortune for the data. I think the Garmin PPC's and Palms can do OS maps using 3rd party mapping solutions like Memory Map but that in itself could cost you £1000+ for Great Britain

Milton (aka Moote)

Maybe dedicated GPS systems aren't the solution.

I use a mobile phone with TTM5 for Navigating to as near as is possible to the geocache by road. I then use mapview on the phone to direct me as exactly a dedicated GPS would do. But with mapviewGPS I can load OS map sections and calibrate with software to use in the area I am working in. OK it is fiddly, limitations are in the size of memory card I have.

http://www.wild-mobile.com/eng/viewproject...21e7cccea6462d3

But have a look, comments appreciated.

Bassrock :mad:

I have GPSmap 60cs...

SUPERB!!! :D

In car satnav runs like a dream taking me from cache to cache following the roads.

I have bought Mapsource City Select Europe with the car kit that I didn't want at the time, but I'm glad I got it now.

The mapping is fine and quite accurate with regard to the position of the roads.

However the placement of rivers, canals and railway tracks can be quite arbitrary!

Not sure how useful OS map would be on such a small screen.

The electronic compass built into the 60cs is useful as the unit generally points to the target even when your stood still preventing the need to walk about like a demented person. :lol:

Was thinking about the GPSmap 60cs, but now not so sure

On ebay anybody selling from UK says that all the cheaper one are from the US and will not have UK mapping on, even if it says so :(

Are they worth the money?? and if i get one with UK mapping is it usable

With the introduction of the 60CSx (at about £450 I have seen over here) I think the 60CS will drop, as for mappingon the 60CS, I never really use mine, It to me is just a feature that can't compare to Memory Map, I think most mapping can't compete with electronic OS "paper" mapping

Hi, first post here, with nearly 60 finds and 3 hides...

We started off with the basic yellow etrex, and upgraded after a few months to GPSMAP60c. In my mind, the 60 series with the better QH ariel has a huge advantage. I use the 60c for navigation in the car too, as it has turn-by-turn routing capabilities when used with city select software. ;)

The basic GPS60 has a nice clear display (b&w), excellent reception and good functionallity. It has no mapping, but if that isn't in you requirements, it might be a good choice to consider.

As with most people here, I think spending a little more now will prevent you from wanting upgrading a couple of months down the line and ultimately cost you more money. :D

Thanks for that, any opinions for mapping software, not for use in the car, but for use when out walking

Fact

Garmin now do UK Topo mapping, but I'm not convinced as it is not as clear as real OS maps.

Opinion

I would go for a cheap PPC and Memory Map for the mapping side

I am interested to hear from other people who use Map and Compass.

Must admit it is my prefered method on long hikes if for no other reason that when in thick fog a map lets you know you are about to fall over a cliff where as my Magellan which I have just dug out of the cupboard and dusted of would not if followed blinded without the back up of a good map.

I must admit though I do not know the capabilities of a more up to date GPSr though..... but feel more comfortable with a map and compass.I am too new to caching so have not yet tried the "good old fashioned" way.

Ian & Linda

Thanks for that, any opinions for mapping software, not for use in the car, but for use when out walking

I too have been looking at Topo Great Britain to put onto my GPSmap60c. The maps certainly look better that the road maps I have installed (city select7), but still not as good as OS maps. The contour lines must be helpful to have, as are many footpaths and tracks. The road map part is still compatable for autorouting for use in the car, wich would be nice. I would like to see proper screen grabs from devices, rather than the computer based screens.

I too have been looking at Topo Great Britain to put onto my GPSmap60c. The maps certainly look better that the road maps I have installed (city select7), but still not as good as OS maps. The contour lines must be helpful to have, as are many footpaths and tracks. The road map part is still compatable for autorouting for use in the car, wich would be nice. I would like to see proper screen grabs from devices, rather than the computer based screens.

Fact

You can get free Contour mapping for Garmin GPSr's from The Scotish Mountaineering Club, these cover the whole of the UK and work in conjunction with other Garmin products such as European City Select

Moote

Fact

You can get free Contour mapping for Garmin GPSr's from The Scotish Mountaineering Club, these cover the whole of the UK and work in conjunction with other Garmin products such as European City Select

Moote

I wondered if there was a freebie site out there <_<

Would go out tomorrow and buy the topo, but the price is a bit scary <_<

Just looked at that free site <_< For a computer nerd like me, it looks far too complicated, looks like I may have to get my wallet out <_<

Opinion

It really is not that hard, just find someone with a little knowledge and I'm sure they will help. It is easy really you just read the instructions

Just looked at that free site :lol: For a computer nerd like me, it looks far too complicated, looks like I may have to get my wallet out :o

It is a little complicated.

That's why I've written a guide to installing and using the contour mapping. It can be found HERE

-Wlw

:o I have followed the instructions exactly, and have rendered my mapsource program useless. It will no longer run at all, stating there is an error in the registry, and promtly closes itself.

I don't think I will sending the error report to Garmin as it suggests, and i am now concerned I have completely ruined my mapsource product.

EDIT: after much stressing and faffing about, I think i have it sorted. The path stated to put the files into may not be where your Garmin folders are. I added the countours file to my Garmin folder, but had to make a dummy Garmin/contours folder elsewhere with the files in.

Edited by Geo-Kate

Well after great research from the uk thread & us thread, also chcking out prices on the web and watching sales on ebay I bought an Etrex Vista C(from www.thenavigationcompany.com). It appears that many ebay traders sell US basemap models which can have its own problems, private sales don't save much over brand new suppliers, if the difference was say £100 second hand would be worth it.

I am hooked so my Vista C will be well worth it, I am also involved in hot air ballooning so will have a good second use.

Wot No! :huh:

Got an etrex VENTURE two and a half years old

The joystick suffers an intermittent problem in not recognising left /right movement

Anyone else experience the same problems?

Checked the Garmin website and on the face of it...its looking like I'd have to ship it back to the States for repair!!

Jo0lz

P.S. Found first 3 caches today, moved 1TB, grabbed another TB

Edited by jo0lz

Am I the only UK cacher with a Magellan GPSr??

No you are not....... I have a Megellan SporTrak Pro B)

B) I just bought the Magellan Explorist 400........never used a GPS unit before but this seems pretty easy to use.

It has a recargeable battery,takes SD cards,upload/download to PC and mapping.

Parked car ,made a POI (way point) and pressed GOTO, chose the cache and set off,took me through the forest and worked under trees,found the cache and took me back to the car B)

It does what it claims and as a total newbie I was pleased with the result. It will be interesting to play with more of the features in the future,lots to learn yet!

Started with Etrex Venture, then Legend and now Legend Cx.

A note for people looking to get the Etrex C or Cx series. You can get autorouting on these units using the cheaper Metroguide maps if you use img2gps to upload the maps instead of Metroguide.

The maps autoroute on the PC but when you upload to the GPS, metroguide strips out the autorouting data, whereas img2gps does not.

See:

Img2GPS Thread 1

Img2GPS Thread 2

You can also get countours from the following website:

http://www.smc.org.uk/books/books_contour_maps.htm

Just my tuppence worth.

Adrian

I have a Garmin Emap I purchased for £75, from Ebay 2 years ago.

Amazing machine, great screen size and works really well. Maybe the techies would sneer at such an old unit.

I use an external aerial which I tuck under my coat collar for bad locations.

I have yet to see another model that is as good. My opinion anyway.

Windrush team.