Questions Concerning...

ccarrera

Ok guys, after looking at this website for some time now i decided to get a garmin 60cs...but i was disappointed when i found out there is only garmins mapsource to download onto, which is 1:100,000 scale...i was hoping that they would have a greater amount of detail of about a 1:24,000 scale...so i was thinking should i go ahead and purchase this unit anyway and buy some mapping software which shows a greater amount of detail, or should i purchase a ppc instead of mapping software...i want to use this mainly for hunting, fishing and hiking...

if you guys reccommending rolling my own maps, what software would you guys reccommend that shows the greatest amount of detail...i have looked at maptech's navigator terrain, navigator terrain pro, and national geographic...anyone have any experience with these programs or any others that you might suggest...

You can find links to discussions about "rolling your own maps" in the 4th question down in the Maps Section of the FAQ. Finding free 24K maps can be tricky. Idaho and Tennesee offer them from state-sponsored sites. Texas, alas, does not at this time. I don't know about AZ (that Mesa?).

Oxiplorer may be the way to go. Its maps look pretty good.

Nasa's World Wind software downloads 24K topos, LandSat photos, black and white photos to 1 meter per pixel, etc. but it is a hoss to use without a big harddrive and lots of bandwidth.

Edit: May also want to look at Maptech outdoor navigator. I haven't tried it but it looks interesting

Edited by Sputnik 57

Thanks guys,

iam going to look into those pocket pc's that you guys reccommended.

Pointdexter, i breifly looked at the bluetooth gps receiver you mentioned, do you still have a stand alone gps like the garmin 60cs, or just the bluetooth pocket pc and gps receiver you mentioned?

I too have been looking at the Maptech mapping software, but it's unclear from their site if the software yet supports the GPSMap60cs/usb yet (it only supported connection via serial as of 6/04). If anyone has newer or first hand info please advise. I'm e-mailing them to see if anything has changed.

Regards,

Indybill

Sputnik 57 Posted: Feb 2 2005, 10:00 AM 

You can find links to discussions about "rolling your own maps" in the 4th question down in the Maps Section of the FAQ. Finding free 24K maps can be tricky. Idaho and Tennesee offer them from state-sponsored sites. Texas, alas, does not at this time. I don't know about AZ (that Mesa?).

Free Texas DRG's here.

Free Arizona DRG's here.

ccarrera Posted: Feb 2 2005, 03:50 PM 

Pointdexter, i breifly looked at the bluetooth gps receiver you mentioned, do you still have a stand alone gps like the garmin 60cs, or just the bluetooth pocket pc and gps receiver you mentioned?

I still have and use my Garmin GPSMap76S. I'm a bit of a gadget geek I guess. I even still have my old yellow eTrex but I may list it on Ebay soon. At least the wife thinks I should :unsure:

I'd go ahead and get the Mapsource Topo. I use it on my unit and though it doesn't have the high detail  of a 1:50000 or 1:24000 map, its detailed enough to be useful.

Agreed. I've used the Mapsource topo since it was introduced and hike/climbed all over the Western U.S. with it. However, it is best used WITH a 1/24 quad like MapTech, or better, National Geographic Topo. A great free map website is Topozone.com where you can download free 1/24s all day long for the entire U.S.

What I do is plot waypoints on the paper 1/24 map at the same time and place as I plot them on my Mapsource. That way, you always have a larger paper map reference (with more detail). Using both in tandem is much better than trying to scroll your unit all day long. Anyway, just my .2 c.

------------------------------

www.JackieandAlan.com

Screenshots, that's what I thought. That's one way to do it but you can get USGS digital maps free for most states. Even Oklahoma. Or you can use USAPhotoMaps but the images your getting aren't as high in resolution as the ones you get when downloading USGS DRG's which is my preference but it's nice to have so many options available on the Internet. It just blows my mind the price some of these guys are charging for USGS topo's on CD when you can get them yourself absolutely free.

Got an answer back from Maptech:

My question to them:

I'm purchasing a Garmin GpsMap60cs and am wondering if Terrain Navigator

yet supports the usb connection (it did not as of 6/04). If not as yet,

will this issue be addressed in future versions? Thanks for your help.

Their answer:

Hi Bill,

Our development team is working on that. There should be a version 6.04

released within 4-6 weeks that will have a new GPS wizard that

recognizes the USB for certain models that we will test on. It will be a

downloadable upgrade. Thanks have a great day, Erika

Looks like they know they've got to provide usb support to keep up with the new gpsr hardware.

Regards,

Indybill

Sorry....not a download...but you can hit the "print" button and get a fairly good map.  It's not USGS, but it's free.    I've never used a password.  That must be something new.

No password required! If you are interested in any of TopoZone's NON-free services (TopoZone Pro, our TopoFactory and PhotoFactory download services) you can register and log in to get free demos of them. That's the only reason you need to log in - the regular topo maps on TopoZone don't require any login.

- Ed