Pee Yew Stinky Dogs!!!

B)B) I was out caching with my 2 pooches... The cache is right beside a spawning stream... I found the cache no problem, however my canine companions found their own cache. B)<_< They found a pool of slimy, stinky salmon goo and rolled in it :rolleyes: . it smells soooooooooo bad!

I can't get rid of the smell.. I washed them each 3 times... I think the problem is that the oils in the fish take on the rotten smell and get into the dogs fur...Please tell me how to get rid of the Stench... :ph34r:

Does tomato juice work on salmon stink?

Has this happened to any other Geopuppies?

C2C2C

6e44a4a5-d80f-457a-9339-1b3f1fc16256.jpg

Edited by coast2coast2coast

This may sound strange...

When my two long-haired dogs got hit by a skunk a few years ago on vacation. I took them to a vet in the area. The vet used Massengale douche. Seriously. I'm not 100% sure what they did with it. They bathed the dogs, I assume in a solution of Massengales and water.

The dogs smelled well enough that we were able to continue our journey, albeit with the windows cracked. When we got home, I gave them several more baths in an odor cutting shampoo and kept them from coming in the house for a week.

febreeze? :P

Seriously though, with the massengil and tomato solutions the common thread here is they are both acidic. Tomatos are acidic by nature and the douche is vinegar. Dont' know if that helps but I'd venture the acidic nature of the liquids eat away the oils. Same prinicpal as drinking orange juice if you eat a hot pepper. The hot oil coats your tounge adn the citric acid in the juice will break it up.

Edited by Seay me

A trick I've heard of using is most sporting goods stores sell scent control or scent blocking soap to kill human scent for hunting. These will also kill skunk scent with several washings from what Ive heard. Stuff is pretty cheap, it will be worth a visit if you ask me.

I "asked Jeeves" Why dogs do it and Here is a sampling of what Jeeves had to say

They mark themselves for the benefit of other dogs, Wolves would roll in a carcass to show it's part of their territory. Domesticated dogs mark themselves with an odor other dogs can recognize and potentially make themselves attractive to the opposite sex.''

and this is another

It is thought that dogs may choose to roll in foul smelling things

to mask their scent, just as wolves do. Wolves may roll in

decomposing carcasses or the feces of herbivores to

disguise themselves. They want to cover their own odors

so their prey won't be alarmed by their scent. This way they

can sneak up on their prey and have a better chance of

making a kill.

Some behaviorists feel dogs may roll in smelly things to

advertise what they have found to other dogs.

No matter the reason, unfortunately some of our domestic

friends have held onto this trait.

No matter why they do it

It Stinks

another tip:

I got this recipe from a vet to get rid of skunk odor on our dog. It has worked well after he has rolled on dead fish and other unknown things. Mix 1 quart hydrogen peroxide, 1/4 cup baking soda, and 1 teaspoon liquid soap (any mild dish detergent). I use a rag and wipe it on. I don't rinse it.

Sorry to hear about your dogs, but what does this have to do with geocaching?

Maybe you should post your question on a pet forum.

Did you not read my post!

I was out Geocaching when they found a salmon... I'm just asking if any other pet owning cachers have a solution... MOST people here (99%) are very helpful with things like this.

another tip:

I got this recipe from a vet to get rid of skunk odor on our dog. It has worked well after he has rolled on dead fish and other unknown things. Mix 1 quart hydrogen peroxide, 1/4 cup baking soda, and 1 teaspoon liquid soap (any mild dish detergent). I use a rag and wipe it on. I don't rinse it.

We will give this one a try.

Thanx

C2C2C

...No matter the reason, unfortunately some of our domestic

friends have held onto this trait.

Being somewhat of an authority on stink, I think they just like it.

(But, I know for a fact that stink helps keep the mozzies away.)

Come to think of it, I do have some domestic friends who stink.

But, anyway, you might try a cocktail of sweet and sour, vinegar and some 151. Then rinse, douche, rinse again and apply salted tomato juice as a shampoo (bring to a lather).

Or you could just ignore the odor and love your pet (which I’m sure you do anyway).

And there’s always the option of just getting used to it. I reckon this is the best answer (because…you know about that fishy smell)! And you'll keep on geocaching anyway. :P:P

lemon juice

I'd vote for this one!

I saw it on a CSI rerun just last night.

Sara had the stench of Liquid Man (totally decomposed body to the point of liquidation :P ) on her and couldn't get it off.

(DO NOT BE EATING SUPPER DURNG THIS EPISODE!!) :P:P:P

Grissom told her to bathe in Lemon Juice.

The reasoning behind it is that the decomposed body fat is absorbed by the top layer of your skin and hair. Bathing with the acidic lemon juice breaks down the fat and lets you remove it.

My 2cents worth.

D-man :P

Did you not read my post!

I was out Geocaching when they found a salmon... I'm just asking if any other pet owning cachers have a solution... MOST people here (99%) are very helpful with things like this.

Yes I did read your post.

I was trying to be helpful when I said you should post it on a pet forum.

If I was driving to a geocache with my truck and had a problem with it I would not post here asking for help with my truck. :P

Geocaching is people out having some fun and spending quality family time with all 2 or 4 legged Members of the family. To everyone and their DOGS out there - have fun! Your story is sounding a little FISHY Coast! :P

Edited by Go Play Outside

C2C2C

Don’t waste your time with tomato juice, you’ll go broke and the dogs will still smell.

Lemon juice does work, we’ve used that, with good results.

One we found that produces good results is that handcleaner “Fast Orange”. It works much better than D&L Handcleaner.

Ps: Tell Stinkie and Smellie to stay away from the fish. :P

SF1

Seriously though, with the massengil and tomato solutions the common thread here is they are both acidic. Tomatos are acidic by nature and the douche is vinegar. Dont' know if that helps but I'd venture the acidic nature of the liquids eat away the oils. Same prinicpal as drinking orange juice if you eat a hot pepper. The hot oil coats your tounge adn the citric acid in the juice will break it up.

Doggy douche? Get out!! :P:P:P

I guess it could work thou... :P

C2C2C

Don’t waste your time with tomato juice, you’ll go broke and the dogs will still smell.

Lemon juice does work, we’ve used that, with good results.

One we found that produces good results is that handcleaner “Fast Orange”. It works much better than D&L Handcleaner.

Ps: Tell Stinkie and Smellie to stay away from the fish. :P

SF1

an orange cleaner sounds good too. another good option. :P

I recommend "Nature's Miracle" Stain and Odor Remover by Pets 'N People, Inc.. It's a mixture of enzymes and isopropyl alcohol that dissolves just about anything organic without bleaching or skin irritation. We have it on hand to clean up messes on the carpet and to destink our dogs since we, too, have just a few salmon in the rivers during the fall and summer up here. One time, the dogs found a neighbor's illegally disposed gut pile which was especially rank :P. Great bear bait, but we don't especially want bruins cruising the neighborhood looking for canine and feline snacks.

Seriously though,  with the massengil and tomato solutions the common thread here is they are both acidic.  Tomatos are acidic by nature and the douche is vinegar.  Dont' know if that helps but I'd venture the acidic nature of the liquids eat away the oils.  Same prinicpal as drinking orange juice if you eat a hot pepper.  The hot oil coats your tounge adn the citric acid in the juice will break it up.

Doggy douche? Get out!! :P:P:P

I guess it could work thou... :P

LOL. I though the same thing at first! I was just piggybacking on what TresOkies++ said in the post above mine. Makes sence thou if you take the 'acidic breakign down the oils' angle.

I sympathize . . . :blink:

My German Shepherd rolled in something dead on our first night out on a camping trip. The next morning I found a campground where I "bought a shower." I gave my dog a bath in that shower and boy, did we make a mess in there. :unsure:

I tried to wipe down the walls and floor where she shook off all the water so it didn't look so bad after I left.

Fortunately, my own shampoo did the trick that time . . . Although my dog was very stinky, it wasn't as hard to get rid of as fishy or skunk odor.

I concur with the anti-skunk recipe from sbell above. It works - and you can use any sort of detergent.

As for fish...

When I used to do some comercial salmon fishing, I would wash my hands in vinegar at the end of each day to get rid of the fish smell.

Good Luck!

another tip:

We will give this one a try.

Thanx

C2C2C

When my dog got sprayed by a skunk, this worked wonders. Tomato juice is only a diluntant (real word?) and it takes tons of repeated washings to get rid of it. I think the soap is what works on the oils.

Good luck!

Mike

febreeze? :blink:

Seriously -- I have to second the "febreze" notion. A cousin's terrier had a very bad encounter with a skunk FAMILY, and we were pretty desperate. The bottle did say "non-toxic," so it was squirt-squirt-squirt for the poor mutt.

And it worked! :unsure:

Hey C2C2C,

To the original poster; I am hijacking this thread and asking the opinion of another Geocacher. In the picture you posted I notice that your dogs, one of which appears to be a German Shepherd, commonly suspected to have a reputation for biting, are not leashed. Was there a leash law where the picture was taken? I notice there is no escape from the boardwalk except into the swamp. What would have happened if you came upon a family with small children and your dogs ran up to them? Would the parents have reason to be concerned?

Just two days ago I was on a cache maintenance trip in a state park that has clearly posted signs that pets must be leashed. On the return to the parking area there were two women with dogs. both saw me coming. One called her dog , leashed it and held onto the leash. The other dog had a leash on dragging on the ground and it's owner was letting it run around. I was about 200' from the dog, it saw me coming, ran past me, circled around and came at me from behind. It whacked the dog with one of the ski poles I had. It made a squeaking noise and ran back to it's owner. (The dog owners, otherwise occupied, did not see this.)

Fellow Geocachers, do not consider this a troll but I really want the opinion of dog owners on this subject. I don't like strange dogs. I don't trust dogs I do not know. How close should I let your dog approach me before I take physical action to protect myself or my children? So I pose this question. If your dog ran up to me, you made no attempt to call it back or control it and I kicked it, would you be upset? Keep in mind I don't know you or your dog. (To the moderators, feel free to delete this message.)

I have a couple of thoughts.

First, if the dog is being aggresive, any action you take is appropriate. If the dog simply came up to you and you kicked it or hit it with a walking stick, I would get very bent.

Second, you are mistaken about german shepards. While I have seen some that were overly aggresive, most are not. The bread tends to be fairly even tempered and very loyal and intelligent. Mine is very intense, but not aggressive. Her ability to work through a problem is amazing.

Check this old thread.

Edited by sbell111

To the OP. My dog Osgood likes to go fishing w/ me (he seems to be able to tell I've hooked a fish before I do! Different topic though :blink: ) When he rolls in fish guts, I immediately send him into the water (fetch a stick...whatever), for whatever reason, this seems to work. The stench from "dog rollin' in fish" is horrible, but we have never had a problem after we make him swim?! :unsure: That is all we do.

To the thread hijacker - you can tell a dog's intentions by it's body language. That being said, I should be in control of my dog, leash or not. If you feel you have to kick, hit whatever go ahead.....be aware, that could make the situation worse (depending on the dog!). When we take the mutts out "off-leash" we do it in areas that we are not expecting company. I'll admit to being "off leash" in posted leash areas. The owner just has to be more aware of the surroundings than the dog. I do not begrudge anybody a need for self preservation, though.

Wow! Quick responses!

Now I Pose this question. An unknown dog approaches me. I don't know the dog. I don't own dogs. I have been bitten by dogs multiple times. I have 3 seconds to decide if the dog is friendly. I understand you have extensive experience with your dog. I have none. The law says your dog must be on a leash. The signs say your dog must be on a leash. It is not. You do not call it back. I have a reasonable fear of dogs. What tells me if your dog is aggressive or not? I have never seen it before. I kick it to keep it away. Why in the world would you let your dog get so close to me? Posing this point of view, am I still the bad guy? (To the moderator, delete this message at will.)

Wow! Quick responses!

Now I Pose this question. An unknown dog approaches me. I don't know the dog. I don't own dogs. I have been bitten by dogs multiple times. I have 3 seconds to decide if the dog is friendly. I understand you have extensive experience with your dog. I have none. The law says your dog must be on a leash. The signs say your dog must be on a leash. It is not. You do not call it back. I have a reasonable fear of dogs. What tells me if your dog is aggressive or not? I have never seen it before. I kick it to keep it away. Why in the world would you let your dog get so close to me? Posing this point of view, am I still the bad guy? (To the moderator, delete this message at will.)

I dont think "I" would kick it. But then again, I dont think "I" would light my leg on fire :unsure:

What tells me if your dog is aggressive or not?

Tail up or down? Down = bad.

Ears up or down? Down = bad.

Head up or down? Down = bad.

Gait? Slinking = bad.

Growling? Growling = bad.

Frothing at the mouth? BBBBAAAADDDD!!!!!!! :unsure:

In short, if they are acting like the three dogs that bit you = bad. You have every right to be cautious of an unleashed, unattended dog. CAUTIOUS is the key word.

Moving quickly (ie a kick) could make the situation worse.

I dont think "I" would kick it. But then again, I dont think "I" would light my leg on fire :unsure:

LOL ! Hmm, good observation there.

Serious side; face the dog at all times, in commanding voice, tell dog to sit. If dog acts agressive, DO NOT KICK AT ! Almost guaranteed way to kick in his fight instinct.

Instead, always look him in the eyes, stand your ground till owner gets there. TALK, not scream, to the dog in a calm even voice. I always say, "good boy, come here" over and over. I have yet for this to not work on a large dog. Homeowners have stared at me in amazement when I reach their door with the dog trotting along at my side.

If its one of those mop looking ankle-biting little bastards, field-goal the sucker. They like to seize the back of your leg, cripple your achilles tendon, and munch on you at their leisure when you fall to the ground

I notice there is no escape from the boardwalk except into the swamp. What would have happened if you came upon a family with small children and your dogs ran up to them? Would the parents have reason to be concerned?

Do you think I would let my dog off leash if I thought they would hurt someone?????

I was about 200' from the dog, it saw me coming, ran past me, circled around and came at me from behind. It whacked the dog with one of the ski poles I had. It made a squeaking noise and ran back to it's owner. (The dog owners, otherwise occupied, did not see this.)

If I saw you do that to my dog, The dog would be the least of your worries...

I have been bitten by dogs multiple times...I kick it to keep it away

no wonder they bite you... And by the way She is a Lab Shepard cross dog we rescued from the SPCA

This topic got me thinking of my May 11, 2002 visit to this cache.

I had headed out with my pupon a caching road trip for the day. The fourth cache was a multi that ended in a really cool old park. While I was signing the log, I hooked her retractible lead to a nearby sapling. The pup snapped her retractible lead and ran off into the woods chasing birds, squirrels, fish, sasquatch, etc.

I ran into a couple of hikers who were nice enough to help me look for her. I almost thought that I was going to have to go home and explain to Cathy that she was gone. Luckily, she wandered back to me, wet and stinky (both of us), after about an hour in the woods.

I upgraded to the elephant-size retractible lead after this one and all has gone pretty well. I don't get how they rate these leads. The pup weighs about 65 pounds, yet she snapped a lead rated at 110 pounds.

My question for you is this: What if the hikers, instead of trying to help, decided to give the pup a good kick? I might never have gotten her back. Worse yet, it might just piss her off enough that she took a piece out of him and then probably would have been ordered to be put down.

Gait? Slinking = bad.

Frothing at the mouth? BBBBAAAADDDD!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

In short, if they are acting like the three dogs that bit you = bad. You have every right to be cautious of an unleashed, unattended dog. CAUTIOUS is the key word.

Some breeds do the opposite. Putting the tail up and holding the head high can also be aggressive, as the dog is trying took bigger and stronger than he might actually be.

Fellow Geocachers, do not consider this a troll but I really want the opinion of dog owners on this subject. I don't like strange dogs. I don't trust dogs I do not know. How close should I let your dog approach me before I take physical action to protect myself or my children? So I pose this question. If your dog ran up to me, you made no attempt to call it back or control it and I kicked it, would you be upset?

The Ladybug Kids own five dogs that we have housebroken, obedience trained, and use for skijoring and mushing in the winter and hiking companions in the summer.

Even as dog owners and lovers, I agree that people should not trust dogs that they do not know. I've lost count of the number of times I've been skijoring, mushing, runjoring (running with a dog on a skijor line) or walking one or more of my dogs on a leash and encountered people with loose dogs on the trails with negative results. Loose dogs tend to take advantage of other restrained dogs and I've made several trips to the vet to have my restrained dogs stitched up after being attacked by loose dogs under "voice control" of their owner(s). Except for exceptionally well trained dogs, loose dogs tend to go deaf when there is something more interesting than their owner in the area such as a moose, new people, porcupines, cats, squirrels, and especially other dogs.

We go to great lengths to keep our dogs from interacting with other people and dogs when in public because we know not everyone considers our pets "man's best friend," and we don't know whether the other dogs understand dog body language and etiquette. Many dogs that are from single pet homes seem to forget "dog language" and behave in a way that that incites negative responses from dogs that still do speak their native tongue which is primarily nonverbal. Only once we've had a request "can our dog say "hi" to your dog" or "can I pet your dog" or "can I give your dog a treat" do we let our dogs approach new people/dogs and I wish others would pay us the same courtesy.

My bottom line...EVERYONE goes home happier if dogs are kept under complete control. If one is in an area where a leash law is in effect, always follow the law. If one is in an area where a leash law is not in effect, keep your dogs in sight and restrain them the moment you hear other people in the area until you are sure they are dog friendly. If your dogs are not "bomb proof" on verbal commands, don't let them loose. I know this sounds "preachy," but I'm tired of my four-legged friends being beat up by other loose pooches. It's a real bummer to have my dog restrained by leash, line, and/or collar and to have a loose dog keep on coming. At some point I have to decide whether incoming dog is just going to "mess around" or "means business" and release my dog to avoid being bitten myself and to give my dog a chance to get away (which being a trained racing dog usually means the agressive dog is left in the dust).

To answer your questions...I think you should allow a dog only as close to you and your children as you feel comfortable. If you see a loose dog, call to the owner and tell them to leash their dog (hopefully before the dog becomes interested in you). Do your best to remain calm and to restrain your reflex to kick out at the dog. Dogs can sense agression and if they are already prone to be aggressive, your aggressive actions will exacerbate the situation. Would I be upset if you kicked/hit my dog with a ski pole? Yes, but I'd be more upset with my dog and myself for even giving you reason or opportunity to do so. I would hope that if you see me coming at a dead run with leash or line in hand that you would first give me benefit of the doubt before lashing out at the dog, though. Save your (hopefully only verbal) lashing out for me since when it comes to dogs I'm a firm believer of "it's always my fault, not my dog's." On the other hand, if we are in a leash ordinance area, you'd never have reason to lash out because my dog wouldn't be loose in the first place.

I'm now going to retreat to my kennel and cower since I know many dog lovers don't share my same views about dog handling.

Gait? Slinking = bad.

Frothing at the mouth? BBBBAAAADDDD!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Some breeds do the opposite. Putting the tail up and holding the head high can also be aggressive, as the dog is trying took bigger and stronger than he might actually be.

Yup...

Tail straight up, head up, stiff-legged gait, turned sidways = I'm bad, I'm alpha, don't mess with me. Normally won't result in an attack unless the other dog makes an aggressive move.

Tail wagging sideways, head up or neutral = I want to be friends

Holding direct eye contact = be cautious...this dog is not acting submissive though does not necessarily have ill intent

Gait? Easy, bouncing trot = nonstressed dog generally just wanting to say hello. Slinking, or stiff legged (both noted above) = caution.

Head down full on run = brace yourself.

Hard and fast rules...NOPE. There are so many dog personalities, obedience levels and owner attitudes one can be never be sure.

I'd rather run into a bear on the trail than another dog up here because bears are more consistent in their responses. More people have been killed by dogs in Alaska since 1950 than by bears since 1900. (Note: not meant to be an anti-dog statement...we own and love five of them... but we want to keep our homeowners insurance and don't want to become known as a local menace, so we're VERY careful.)

I would be very cautious using the Fabreeze. It is not supposed to be breathed in and would also worry about the affects of the dogs licking it.

Does the Fabreeze work at the atomic level? I know it works well, and have used it around the house only.

I am out of it now, does anyone have a bottle to post, if any, the precautions for animal use?

Back on topic, and curious about the solution (and ignoring the obvious posters wanting to argue about something/anything) -- what did you end up doing to cure the stink?

There were many remedies posted, and they all sounded great.

And keep an eye out for this bad dog! Can chew your little toe nail off!

lookingbad7ae.jpg

1signature2zl.jpg

JohnX,

I usually have my dog off leash because she is trained and very friendly by the way. How close should you let her get to you? Close enough to lick you because that's all she would do. (BTW: She WOULD NOT approach you if I didn't let her) If you decided you wanted to kick her, then I suppose I would have to break your knees. Sorry, I don't know you and I have a reasonable fear of humans.

Sounds to me like you have suffer from Cynophobia and should probably seek professional help. Try This.

Back to the OP. I say go with the Lemon Juice. If it's good enough for CSI, It's good enough for your dog. :rolleyes:

Edited by JMBella
Back on topic, and curious about the solution (and ignoring the obvious posters wanting to argue about something/anything) -- what did you end up doing to cure the stink?

I tried a bunch of things... I washed the dogs 2 times with dog shampoo... One of the pups was still stinky so I tried the baking soda...That got rid of most of the smell...The last thing I used was Lemon juice...That worked best..no more stinky dogs

Sounds to me like you have suffer from Cynophobia and should probably seek professional help.

I had to look that one up...You are right!

C2C2C

I tried a bunch of things... I washed the dogs 2 times with dog shampoo... One of the pups was still stinky so I tried the baking soda...That got rid of most of the smell...The last thing I used was Lemon juice...That worked best..no more stinky dogs

Sounds to me like you have suffer from Cynophobia and should probably seek professional help.

I had to look that one up...You are right!

C2C2C

Glad that worked out for you c2c2..c2, c2c2c2c.. I don't know what to stop. :ph34r::rolleyes:

Since this thread has hostile undertones, maybe consider closing it? Just my opinion, do with it what you will. I hope that John gets help. Brings new meaning to the phrase "doggy douche".

QUOTE Spzzmoose:

Doggy douche? Get out!! laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
Edited by JMBella