Geocaching On Countryfile

I've just had a call from a nice lady at the BBC to tell me the piece on 'caching I did a video diary about will be screened nationwide THIS Sunday, the 6th of February. Countryfile is on BBC1 from 11.30am to 12.30pm and the video diary feature is usually on around 12-noon. More information here: BBC CountryFile page

I'm looking forward to seeing it and hope everyone likes it. If you don't, don't blame me, blame the editing! I shot 4 hours of video and the piece is going to be all of 3-4 minutes long. Don't be surprised if my talk about CITO hit the cutting room floor...

On a technical side, does anyone have the technology to video 'my bit' in a digital format and send me a CD or DVD with it on? I can handle all usual PC formats and so long as it fits on the disk, the bigger file size the better. Any and all offers of help would be greatly received to: SimpluPaulGC@aol.com. Ta! Your costs will be covered.

SP - All excited! <_<

Hey. Great news. I don't think I can help with the video bit though. I was going to build a new computer this month to do this dort of thing but the funds are a bit low after Christmas.

So, will there be an autograph signing session at the Geocachers meet in London?

i'd like to see a copy of it too but not that interested in torrents - too many nasty lawyers about for that...

The torrent medium itself is not illegal its the content transfered that could be naughty, same with any p2p network. Very legitimate and effective method of distributed file transfer.

Is the passing around copies of the "Countryfile" an infringement of 'whoever' copyright?

The BBC own the copyright, but I dare say they'll let me post an mpeg version of it on my web site if I include a copyright notice. I'll check this out with my contact 'on the inside'. Once it's online it could be mailed about quite happily. I'll probably upload two versions, a 16Mbish biggie and a 4Mbish .wmf 'little one'.

SP

I don't think we get "Countryfile" in Scotland any more - we seem to get a programme called "Landward" instead at that time - same idea as Countryfile but obviously with no geocaching featured this Sunday!!

Allieballie is correct it isn't shown North of the border, however those people with Sky TV can get it on the regional channels starting at channel 942. Bit ironic really as this episode is advertised to be showing the North of Scotland, but isn't shown here. :rolleyes::ph34r:

Excellent!! :rolleyes::ph34r:

I could record it on my gadget which saves it in .avi (mpeg4) format, usb it to my pc and then e-mail it to you straight after assuming your e-mail has no restrictions on size! :o

Gadget

Cheers!

Seasider

Ooh, you copycat, that's how I was going to get my MPeg4 format recording! :ph34r:

Nice to know that all geocachers are gadget freaks too! :o

Sorry Hedgehogs :rolleyes: (But I did write to them in 2003...)

Seasider, I have a 16Mb download limit on my AOL account, which should allow a reasonable mpg standard, but might be a bit low for a four minute avi file.

When I get my hands on a DVD of it, I can play that in a window on my PC, and I have some freeware which will let me 'draw a square' over the window and capture everything that's playing there as an avi file. I'll then add a copyright notice (assuming I get the ok) and compress it to an mpg and wmf file. Well, that's the plan anyway :ph34r:

I'm also hoping to get an unusual cache meeting 'at my place' approved so local cachers can come and enjoy the show with me. No raiding my fridge though...

Update: It's been approved! All Round To My Place (Bucks)

SP

Edited by Simply Paul
Excellent!!  :rolleyes:  :ph34r:

I could record it on my gadget which saves it in .avi (mpeg4) format, usb it to my pc and then e-mail it to you straight after assuming your e-mail has no restrictions on size!  :o

Gadget

Cheers!

Seasider

Ooh, you copycat, that's how I was going to get my MPeg4 format recording! :ph34r:

Nice to know that all geocachers are gadget freaks too! :P

I like my gadgets but not as much as the Gadget Girls (P&T) who seem to have every gadget going! :o:o

I notice you are nipping round to SP's for the main event so with gadget and travel kit in pocket that will solve that one then - from gadget straight into SP's PC in situ!! :D

Should be a good 'un - roll on Sunday! :(

Cheers!

Seasider

'Feck'

Subj: RE: Countryfile video diary 

Date: 04/02/2005 10:17:56 GMT Standard Time

To: SimplyPaulGC@aol.com

Sent from the Internet (Details)

Hi Paul,

Really sorry - there was a change around in scheduling and your geocaching video diary will now be broadcast on Sunday 13th February.

I hope this isn't a huge problem for you. Very sorry about the confusion.

All the best,

Cat

x

Hey, at least I got a kiss at the end! Sorry folks, but the event will be moved to this weekend and I'll have to contact *loads* of people to say there's been a change of plan!

Bottoms.

SP

DON'T FORGET TO SET YOUR VIDEOS OR DVD RECORDERS :D

Check out SP's post above about a date change.

However, I will be going for both weeks. I remember the complete confusion over the broadcast date of a radio programme we were involved in. Ended up the only transmission of it was 3 o'clock in the morning on the World Service, which was officially a repeat of a programme that was never actually broadcast on radio 4.

We never got asked about copyright, transmission rights etc, but a harmony line my wife improvised on the flute got used as the theme tune for a few weeks.

Really sorry - there was a change around in scheduling and your geocaching video diary will now be broadcast on Sunday 13th February.

Bah! Didn't see this until after watching some mountain rescue people planting Junipers in the lake district.

It was quite interesting, though.

My word - it is heavily edited, isn't it. Don't blink, folks!

Stu

Bah! Didn't see this until after watching some mountain rescue people planting Junipers in the lake district.

Me to, I left myself a note to watch it, sat down and every so often there were voices in other rooms saying...." is it on yet "

Never mind try again next week...

Kev

Edited by Longfram Kev

I'm pleased it wasn't just me then :)

Looked at the running order on the website for next weeks show. John Craven goes to Epping Forest. (very near me... loads of good caches there).

And Michaela discovers the new extreme sport of ....... river bugging..... and gets very wet.

For a moment I thought she was going to discover the extreme sport of .....geocaching..... but no such luck.

They don't say what the video diary is going to be about until pretty much the last minute.

Looked at the running order on the website for next weeks show. John Craven goes to Epping Forest. (very near me... loads of good caches there).

I hope that it is not in MY FOREST. Because a few years ago when some caches were first placed in the above. They were removed as the 'Conservitors of the forest' said that the caches were classed as litter.

So we don't realy need to advertise too much. :anitongue: