Want To Conquer Ben Nevis - But Need Some Help!

Greetings! I will be visiting Scotland in late June/earch July of this year for vacation and want to hike up Ben Nevis. I'm told this is best not accomplished by oneself so I thought I'd see if anyone here would be interested in joining me - as my family have wimped out! <_< I see there are also a number of Geocaches in the area that I wouldn't mind bagging as well. Reply here or email privately and maybe we can organize something.

Cheers!

Coupar-Angus

Just bringing this one back to the top of the list.

I hear: Britain’s highest peak, rising 1344 metres above sea level. A five-mile walk to the snow-capped summit is rewarded on a clear day with views for more than 100 miles (160km) stretching from the Great Glen to the Atlantic Islands. Note: ‘The Ben,’ despite its relatively straightforward ascent, is highly dangerous. More people die here each year than on Everest. Make sure you are properly prepared and always take the appropriate precautions.

Hmmm....I wonder if this would be too ambitious for a day hike???

Experienced input appreciated!

Cheers!

Coupar-Angus

Hi Coupar Angus,

The first SGDO (Scottish Geocachers Day Out) was a hike up Ben Nevis last August - pity that you missed it. You can take a look at the logs at 1st SGDO and the write up at geocachingtoday.

If you are reasonably fit and have the proper gear, then the hike is achievable, though I for one would never have thought I could do it. It took me 3 and a half hours, but the much fitter ones did it in 2 and half. You need to be aware of the bearings needed to get to the summit and off again if visibility is poor.

Go for it by all means and I hope that you can find some companions.

We climbed Ben Nevis at the end of May in 2001 (see my profile photo taken at the summit). As you will see from the photo, there was plenty of snow up there even at the end of May so be prepared! At least it was early enough in the year to be before all the infamous midges were out to bite us!

It took us 3.5hrs to get to the top and just over 4hrs to get down. Coming down was worse as, despite using walking poles, it still gets to your knees and ankles more on the descent, especially on the loose stones.

We were extremely lucky in that the summit was completely clear of cloud and we could enjoy the 360 degree views from the top.

Did you have to bring this back to the top Couparangus?! I resisted temptation first time around! I've still a few caches up that way to do so another visit to the Ben would be quite welcome. Peter (House of Boo), got your ears on good buddy? There's a top class camp site in the Glen, let's make it even more worthwhile as this could be an in-tents (intense!) event cache! If we're looking at the end of June begining of July then please avoid the first weekend in July as that's the National Motorcycle Rally and the second round of the Three Nations Challenge, yes, something that takes priority over my Geocaching activities!

I'd be up for an evening camping event cache followed by a climb the next day, or a climb to an event cache at the top, in the style of the Snowdon event last September.

I failed to prepare (prepared to fail) properly when I tried to climb Nevis in August 2003 (it was the year of 100 degree temps, if you don't remember it) without water and with only a packet of crisps... Little surprise I only got to 3000ft before it seemed the better idea to turn around and head down again. Next time I'll have a bigger breakfast and take proper supplies. <_<

Some pictures and video clips of my Scottish Adventure

Perhaps a local fancies setting up an event, or are there plans afoot already? Sooner a date is confirmed sooner I can book flights and car hire (I would consider sharing)

SP

I could well be up for this one too, Pyoung1s! Was thinking of doing Scafell Pike this year and taking the pressure of Ben Nevis off till next year but if theres a party going Im well up for it (Id leave Boo at home this time though)!!!

It also allows me to do Quest For The Ring Of Power at our soon to be finalised and announced "Carry On Camping" eventer in the Lake District (are YOU listening Pyoung1s!!!).

Lets see how this baby pans out!

House Of Boo

I could well be up for this one too, Pyoung1s! Was thinking of doing Scafell Pike this year and taking the pressure of Ben Nevis off till next year but if theres a party going Im well up for it (Id leave Boo at home this time though)!!!

I could be up for this one too, depending on dates etc. Think I'll leave Chester behind though as he nearly killed me coming down Snowdon last year <_<

It also allows me to do Quest For The Ring Of Power at our soon to be finalised and announced "Carry On Camping" eventer in the Lake District (are YOU listening Pyoung1s!!!).

Looking forward to this one, but still going for Scafell Pike, anyone else up for it?

Scunthorpe's still safe though... What about s***e? I'm a bit confused about what's a swear word and what isn't these days. Tits, after all, are small birds. Anal is short for anal retentive and bastard is just the correct technical term for someone who drives a BMW 4" from your bumper.

Let's see what the system makes of those.

SP <_<

Edited to say S H I T E. It's an arm of the Muslim faith. Groundspeak is anti-Islamic shocker. Someone call my solicitor...

Edited by Simply Paul

I'm scheduled to be off end of June, beginning of July so would be up for a camping trip for the climb but think would only bring the G Forcer's that made the Snowdon climb. There isn't an easy way up is there for Mrs. G is there?

Would give me a good chance to try out my Christmas walking poles (something I realized I was missing when we did Snowdon).

It is certainly do-able in a day.

We drove from Edinburgh on the Friday; stayed in Glen Coe the Friday night; drove to Fort William in the morning; set off up Ben Nevis at around 10.30am; got to the top at 2pm(ish); sat at the summit enjoying the views, taking photos and having lunch for half an hour; set off on the descent at around 2.30pm (ish) and got back to the car between 6.30 and 7pm (it took us longer to get down than it did to get up!).

We then drove back to Edinburgh (via the lovely drive down to Oban) and were in bed by midnight. :D

The following day we got the train to Glasgow to meet up with friends for lunch and I could barely walk!!! ;)

This is very cool - I'm getting excited now. I'm gonna be in Scotland for 2 weeks and the weekend of July 2/3 is good for me. I don't fancy camping out so I'm hoping this is do-able in a day - albeit a long one!  Comments?

C-A

You should fly it in a day. Just make sure you have the right gear. it can be cold and windy on top. even if its warm and sunny at the bottom.

edit Just looked at your profile. You should be used to the cold :D

My Dad lives in Ontario.

Edited by Deego

Ok here goes :

first of all the grid ref for parking is:

Glen Nevis visitor centre: G.R.123730

Or Glen Nevis Youth Hostel: G.R. 128718

Bed n Breakfast spots:

Glenlochy Guest House: 01397 702909

Rhu Mhor Guest House: 01397 702213

Achintee Farm: 01397 702240

Mr Fraser, Glen Nevis: 01397 701436

Corrie Duff , Glen Nevis: 01397 701412

Craig Nevis Guest House : 01397 702023

The Campsite numbers:

Glen nevis Caravan & Camping Park: 01397 702191

Lochy Caravan/Camping Park: 01397 703446

Hope this is of help, also don't forget to take the Scottish Midge Repelent with you

You can find these in any U.K. d.i.y. store found under the mallet section!

cos the spray stuff is nigh on useless! :rolleyes:

Good point on the insect repellent izzardno1. Half way up you want to rest up a moment and take in the scenery but get eaten alive!

I recommend Achintee Farm guest house. I've stayed there before, very welcoming and relaxing. Right on the foot of the Ben so boots on and straight up you go! Book early as it's obviously popular. Prices are average for the area!

I'm too used to rushing the summit guns ablaze firing from the hip!

I could be mistaken, but I don't think you're allowed to ride a trail bike up the mountain. :mad:

All kiddin' aside, thanks for the excellent information izzardno1 ! !

I've started training for the ascent already by running up and down the stairs with a full pack a hundred times in my house. My family thinks there may be a mental health issue but I assure them this is normal behaviour for Geocachers. :mad:

Cheers!

C-A

:unsure: Hmm when I did the three peaks last year all I got to see was fog and snow on the Ben in June!!

But the excercise I did was to take on a few Lakeland Peaks, I started local, Kinder Low, Then steamed straight into The Calf and Yarlside two weeks later, and Kirk Fell/Great Gable after that.

What a killer Yarlside was , no tracks only scrubs of grass to hold on to! At least on Ben Nevis there is a twisty bendy relentless path to walk up.

Anyway the point is now I have taken up this glorious hobby of fell walking, my flaming knees are as good as wanting a stanah to come down on!

I should stick to training on a few hill walks to set you ready for Ben Nevis and not a few staircases :unsure: Oh and some Leki poles as well.

I could be mistaken, but I don't think you're allowed to ride a trail bike up the mountain
A model T ford was driven to the top in one day 1928 (maybe it wasn't allowed!).

Seriously though here's a warning:

'In poor weather, however, the ascent is a serious undertaking and it is all too easy to underestimate the difficulty of the conditions which may be encountered high up on the mountain. Finding your way across the extensive summit plateau can be extremely difficult and, in the poor visibility which often prevails, a high degree of skill with map and compass is essential.' Read and understand the details on

The Mountaineering Council of Scotland Website - it doesn't even show danger signs over the highest cliffs! Make note of 231 for 150m, then 282! This is no problem when you can see where you are going - unfortunately this is not always the case on the Ben!

Good Luck!

Finding your way across the extensive summit plateau can be extremely difficult and, in the poor visibility which often prevails, a high degree of skill with map and compass is essential.'

You've got to believe it !!!

If the visibility is non existent, you could easily walk 'off the edge', and you don't want to do that... you REALLY don't want to do that.

[edited for crappy spelling.... too much vin rouge... sorry)

Edited by Pharisee
Understood on the dangers of climbing the Ben in foul weather. Not an extreme thrill-seeker on this end so let's hope for good weather!
You always here the warnings about how glorious the weather can be in the camp site, yet how bad it might be on the top. Well, it can be the other way round...

p9140413b.jpg

If it is, take plenty to drink (preferably non-alcoholic!)

I hope to make it, and combine the trip with some business so my editor will pay for the flights (£0.01 each way from Stansted with RyanAir. Ok, so there's tax to pay too but a penny?!)

One thing - can I suggest the co-ords are moved to the car park at the start of the climb rather than the top? That'll help people get to the right place at the right time.

SP

Still a little ealry to commit but am definately interested and am trying to recruit the G Force members who went up Snowdon last year.

Haggis Hunter Posted on Apr 30 2005, 04:20 PM

I can't find any link to it on the internet, but a body was found on Ben Nevis today (Saturday). It's believed to have been a journalist that went missing whilst in the area in February. Up until now the snow has kept the body hidden. 

That' s reassuring (just what I needed) and let's hope for some good weather. :unsure:

One thing - can I suggest the co-ords are moved to the car park at the start of the climb rather than the top? That'll help people get to the right place at the right time.

Good idea

The 1st Scottish Geocacher’s Day Out – 15th Aug 04 was a trip up Ben Nevis last year. It was certainly a worthwhile event, and if you haven't done it yet, then you should try to get along to this one. There is also a list of caches on this cache page which can be done the day before. Waterfall & Ruin is a must, whilst you are in the area.

Edited by Haggis Hunter
I'm gonna bring 3 liters of water in my Camelback. Does this sound like enough?

When I did it, I took two litres and that wasn't enough for me (I scrounged a drop more from FoF). I'm not as fit as HH and sweated a lot more. I would take at least 3 litres if I were daft enough to do it again.... which I'm not :lol:

Suggestions as to a suitable B&B would be good too.

See the cache listing as there are a few on there. I'm staying in Ft William myself and getting dumped off in the morning.

I took up 2 litres of water and that was enough for me, I also took some soup and heated it up at the top, as you will need something to eat once there.

In that case 3 litres and a couple of samwijis ought to do me well. Mind you, at last check there was still snow up top if one got desperate... :o

Cheers!

C-A